Mighty Montrose FC Thread

On 14/06/2024 at 13:24, broomiesniper said:

quite well known that funding is limited at the moment, ideally we need an extra 100 on each home gate.  Although we have 2 home games against Arbroath, that's still way down on what Falkirk, Dunfermline and the likes brought in

Yes, I thought the statement was pretty downbeat, especially given the excitement surrounding the playoffs. It would be great to see the club's community involvement pay a dividend in terms of increased gates and season ticket sales. Arbroath certainly benefitted from increased ST sales for their Championship seasons as well as the larger visiting supports. We don't really have much control over who else is in the league, so unless we have some kind of Wrexham style external investment, it really is down to the club building up support and investment locally, which hopefully will happen.

It is noticeably quieter on this thread than others. In some ways I would have liked to have seen a more ambitious statement from the club but as long as we're not going backwards by treading water whilst some others are clearly out to make progress, I am happy enough.

4 hours ago, Brummo said:

Yes, I thought the statement was pretty downbeat, especially given the excitement surrounding the playoffs. It would be great to see the club's community involvement pay a dividend in terms of increased gates and season ticket sales. Arbroath certainly benefitted from increased ST sales for their Championship seasons as well as the larger visiting supports. We don't really have much control over who else is in the league, so unless we have some kind of Wrexham style external investment, it really is down to the club building up support and investment locally, which hopefully will happen.

It is noticeably quieter on this thread than others. In some ways I would have liked to have seen a more ambitious statement from the club but as long as we're not going backwards by treading water whilst some others are clearly out to make progress, I am happy enough.

It’s probably quieter because we all know that really there’s going to be little movement in pre season. @Brother Blades and @mo83 are also probably in The Arch talking about hat puns.

I know that every season since coming up we have said that 8th is the target, I think this will be the first time where that is actually genuine and probably actually a time where we can get away with it. I think we (both the fan base and the club) have probably done enough this time to ensure that a shite season by our standards won’t result in the young team bailing. I would be not happy but accepting of a season where we are steady, keep playing the young lads when appropriate, keep engaging with the fanbase and essentially reset and go again. 

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

It’s probably quieter because we all know that really there’s going to be little movement in pre season. @Brother Blades and @mo83 are also probably in The Arch talking about hat puns.

I know that every season since coming up we have said that 8th is the target, I think this will be the first time where that is actually genuine and probably actually a time where we can get away with it. I think we (both the fan base and the club) have probably done enough this time to ensure that a shite season by our standards won’t result in the young team bailing. I would be not happy but accepting of a season where we are steady, keep playing the young lads when appropriate, keep engaging with the fanbase and essentially reset and go again. 

@Brother Blades to stand outside the Arch with a bucket is what I've heard lol.

I think if Montrose are struggling a bit with money we should go down the route others have done recently and get some company say GKS for an example  to take over the naming rights of Links Park its a no brainer if you ask me.

Everyone would still know its Links Park and the extra money would be a boost in these hard times.

On 18/06/2024 at 10:09, mo83 said:

I think if Montrose are struggling a bit with money we should go down the route others have done recently and get some company say GKS for an example  to take over the naming rights of Links Park its a no brainer if you ask me.

Everyone would still know its Links Park and the extra money would be a boost in these hard times.

Yeah definitely a no brainer for you guys you'd think, almost surprising you've not done it before now.

We did it last year and although some supporters weren't that happy about it, everyone quickly moved on and people are still calling it station park.

Only time "alpha projects stadium" is mentioned is by the club.

18 hours ago, ScottishLoon said:

Yeah definitely a no brainer for you guys you'd think, almost surprising you've not done it before now.

We did it last year and although some supporters weren't that happy about it, everyone quickly moved on and people are still calling it station park.

Only time "alpha projects stadium" is mentioned is by the club.

Yeah I don't see why we don't do it to be honest,maybe it will happen in the future now and bring in some cash.Im not even sure what sort of money you do get for it but it does seem a no brainer.

With Pre-Season just around the corner i was looking at the squad we have so far. I've left out  a few of the younger players as i don't know if they will go out on loan, players like Harry Craig, Ben Hermiston, Alex Balfour to name a few.

Goalkeeper-

Cammy Gill

Ross Matthews

Defenders

Andrew Steeves

Ryan Williamson

Aiden Quinn

Sean Dillon

Kerr Waddell(Injured)

Craig Smith

Midfielders

Terry Masson

Paul Watson

Graham Webster

Michael Gardyne

Ali Shrive

Craig Brown

Matteus Machado

Forwards

Kane Hester

Blair Lyons

Ben MacIver-Redwood

Decent enough squad at the moment but does need a few more added to the playing squad. Loans will be a while away yet but id imagine we would have 1-2 on loan and hoping for at least one more permanent signing. Done well with loans over the last couple  years and hoping we can get a few more quality additions.

Fixtures out next week also.......COYM

14 minutes ago, mo83 said:

With Pre-Season just around the corner i was looking at the squad we have so far. I've left out  a few of the younger players as i don't know if they will go out on loan, players like Harry Craig, Ben Hermiston, Alex Balfour to name a few.

Goalkeeper-

Cammy Gill

Ross Matthews

Defenders

Andrew Steeves

Ryan Williamson

Aiden Quinn

Sean Dillon

Kerr Waddell(Injured)

Craig Smith

Midfielders

Terry Masson

Paul Watson

Graham Webster

Michael Gardyne

Ali Shrive

Craig Brown

Matteus Machado

Forwards

Kane Hester

Blair Lyons

Ben MacIver-Redwood

Decent enough squad at the moment but does need a few more added to the playing squad. Loans will be a while away yet but id imagine we would have 1-2 on loan and hoping for at least one more permanent signing. Done well with loans over the last couple  years and hoping we can get a few more quality additions.

Fixtures out next week also.......COYM

Sure in the statement they put out last week that there would be no more permanent signings and it would just be the loan market once again.

Just now, VillaKnollBoy said:

Sure in the statement they put out last week that there would be no more permanent signings and it would just be the loan market once again.

I did kind off think that too but we were after a player who went elsewhere so their must be some sort of wage their for a permanent signing.

Was in Cancer Research charity shop buying CDs and fancied some easy listening with James Taylor's Greatest Hits. Was surprised to read this about him in Wikipedia.

He's still listed as being active. I wonder if the Montrose Folk Club have thought of inviting him to play a gig here with proceeds going to local good causes such as the Community Trust.

E.t.a. I see he was last in Scotland on tour in October 2022 and at his age this tenuous celebrity link ship may have sailed.

Screenshot_20240621-163232~2.png

Edited by Brummo

2 hours ago, Brummo said:

Was in Cancer Research charity shop buying CDs and fancied some easy listening with James Taylor's Greatest Hits. Was surprised to read this about him in Wikipedia.

He's still listed as being active. I wonder if the Montrose Folk Club have thought of inviting him to play a gig here with proceeds going to local good causes such as the Community Trust.

E.t.a. I see he was last in Scotland on tour in October 2022 and at his age this tenuous celebrity link ship may have sailed.

Interesting. I had no idea that he had roots in Montrose.

Can't say I'm particularly a fan of his music... but Two-Lane Blacktop is one of my favourite films.

3 hours ago, Brummo said:

I heard/read somewhere, that it was Marykirk rather than Montrose. 

41 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

I heard/read somewhere, that it was Marykirk rather than Montrose. 

I've seen a quote from Taylor stating his Taylor ancestor came from Marykirk.  I also read somewhere an ancestor was Provost of Montrose.  I can't guarantee that though.

2 hours ago, MO7S said:

I've seen a quote from Taylor stating his Taylor ancestor came from Marykirk.  I also read somewhere an ancestor was Provost of Montrose.  I can't guarantee that though.

His dad's middle name was Montrose though. Mind you it is probably a better choice of name for a male than "Marykirk".

4 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Can't say I'm particularly a fan of his music... but Two-Lane Blacktop is one of my favourite films.

At five CDs for a pound I can't say I'm heavily invested in the artist myself.

Okay for listening to in the car though if I have a notion for something mellow.

On 21/06/2024 at 19:22, tongue_tied_danny said:

Wow, I'd almost forgotten that film ... thinking back, it's up there with films like The Last Picture Show and Paris Texas as authentic slices of bare bones Americana.  Must watch again.

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Wow, I'd almost forgotten that film ... thinking back, it's up there with films like The Last Picture Show and Paris Texas as authentic slices of bare bones Americana.  Must watch again.

It's a classic. As is Paris Texas. I've never seen The Last Picture Show... I'll look it up at the weekend.

12 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

It's a classic. As is Paris Texas. I've never seen The Last Picture Show... I'll look it up at the weekend.

If you like those two, you should like TLPS - think it was shot in black and white and was a bit of a breakthrough for a young Jeff Bridges , something of a coming of age classic. Enjoy. 👌

First game Saturday against BOD hoping we have a trialist or two to have a look at.

Be good to have a look at the 2 new signings from University as well especially the new striker been told he is an absolute unit!