EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

19 hours ago, Jambomo said:

So this season Liverpool have drawn against: Newcastle, West Brom, Fulham, Brighton & Man City. Why do commentators and pundits still talk about them like they are prime Barcelona? 

Because the rest of the teams in the league are absolute pish. The fact a bang average Man U side are 2nd says it all. Serious drop off in quality brought in in the last few years and the transfer fees keep inflating. The EPL peaked around 2012 and it feels like the bubble will burst soon enough with the big teams joining some "Superleague"

2 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Because the rest of the teams in the league are absolute pish. The fact a bang average Man U side are 2nd says it all. Serious drop off in quality brought in in the last few years and the transfer fees keep inflating. The EPL peaked around 2012 and it feels like the bubble will burst soon enough with the big teams joining some "Superleague"

i think it peaked earlier than that, 2008 you had 3 teams in the CL semis

22 hours ago, Jambomo said:

So this season Liverpool have drawn against: Newcastle, West Brom, Fulham, Brighton & Man City. Why do commentators and pundits still talk about them like they are prime Barcelona? 

a lot of the pundits are ex players and a lot of the journos either grew up fans or liked them when they were kids

3 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Yeah I was probably being generous with 2012 but I can still remember a few memorable games from then. Not so with many of the proceeding seasons

i find the wanking over Liverpool equally bizarre, from the late 90's right up to 2010, there has, imo, been better Arsenal, Chelsea & United sides

equally puzzling is the love in for big Virgil Van Dijk, who is the ''best Centre back the league has ever seen'', what a load of shite that is. {i even know liverpool fans who claim he's the best ever}

Edited by Gus Setsniffer

19 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

So, Kyle Walker...

Are those rumours true or just Twitter nonsense? Would struggle to believe anyone, even Kyle Walker, would be daft enough to throw a party during these times. Jack Grealish only recently got hammered for visiting a friends house. 

On the Karen Carney comment, I don’t think what she said was a ridiculous point to make, but she made it very badly. If she had said the break due to Covid had helped Leeds players recharge to come back and win the league nobody would have batted an eyelid. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

13 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

On the Karen Carney comment, I don’t think what she said was a ridiculous point to make, but she made it very badly. If she had said the break due to Covid had helped Leeds players recharge to come back and win the league nobody would have batted an eyelid. 

Yep. She went to the extremes and any journalist or pundit would be called on it by supporters. It makes the sexism angle completely redundant.

I need to note, yet again, that does NOT give an official club social media guy a free pass to instigate a pile on. Either they didn't know there'd be a pile on and they're clearly not fit to be in that position, or they DID know and wanted it. There's no excuses here.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Are United as bad as people make out? With Fernandes and Cavani you're going to score a shit tonne. 

Granted their defence isn't the best. 

they don't carry the aura of ferguson's united, who you had on your coupon every week, they're constantly 2 defeats away from a crisis, the old ''form is temporary class is permanent'' sums up the fergusons era and this lot, who can look dogshit for 45 minutes and fantastic for 45 minutes,  you don't get away with that against real quality

got lucky with Fernandes, who they didnt rate in the summer, before signing him in the jan window

32 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Are those rumours true or just Twitter nonsense? Would struggle to believe anyone, even Kyle Walker, would be daft enough to throw a party during these times. Jack Grealish only recently got hammered for visiting a friends house. 

its not daftness with walker, its arrogance

and i have no issue with what Carney said, Covid got Man Utd 3rd

Edited by Gus Setsniffer

2 hours ago, Gus Setsniffer said:

i find the wanking over Liverpool equally bizarre, from the late 90's right up to 2010, there has, imo, been better Arsenal, Chelsea & United sides

equally puzzling is the love in for big Virgil Van Dijk, who is the ''best Centre back the league has ever seen'', what a load of shite that is. {i even know liverpool fans who claim he's the best ever}

I think they benefit by bringing a different "brand" of football from the tiki taka snoozefest that Pep's Barcelona popularised.

I for one enjoy the direct, relentless pressing that their play features but I also enjoy a good shitfest when it's executed perfectly.

They were incredibly fortunate last year that they didn't suffer any really bad injuries to their first XI. The nature of their style means that once players start getting injured then they'll start to rack up because of the intensity required, like what's been happening recently.

VVD is a good footballer, no question about it but I'd agree that he's not the complete defender he's perceived to be

10 minutes ago, JMDP said:

Carney has deleted her twitter account because of the amount of abuse she has received after that Leeds tweet.

I honestly despair at the amount of morons who inhabit social media. Off topic, but is there anything sinister around Costa leaving Atletico Madrid or is it just a case of his powers waning & him wanting more games elsewhere?

20 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

I honestly despair at the amount of morons who inhabit social media. Off topic, but is there anything sinister around Costa leaving Atletico Madrid or is it just a case of his powers waning & him wanting more games elsewhere?

Official line is personal reasons - it was mentioned on a Spanish show the other night though that he had a massive bust up in training with Nelson Vivas (coach) and had also been complaining of lack of opportunities. He actually looked decent when fit beside Griezmann a couple of seasons ago but now looks like injuries have taken their toll. Last year or so he has toiled badly.