St Mirren v Ross county 22/08/2020

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Is it just me or is RG absolutely buzzing for Shaughnessy's red card, thankful he won't be facing his sorry mob next week. Anything to try and tip the balance I suppose. It won't be enough, mind.

A pathetic show of petulance because Shaughnessy couldn't wait to bin his mob and move to absolutely anybody that would take him down South. 

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Is it just me or is RG absolutely buzzing for Shaughnessy's red card, thankful he won't be facing his sorry mob next week. Anything to try and tip the balance I suppose. It won't be enough, mind.

I mean, it was quite clear he was bagging a 90th minute winner by chucking his replacement (Gordon) about, so of course I'm happy.

Just now, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

[video-to-gif output image]

Oh, look another slowed down video, because slowed down videos never make the incident look much worse.

If anything this just goes to show Stewart had lost control of the ball and ran into Shaughnessy's tackle.

12 minutes ago, Ric said:

Oh, look another slowed down video, because slowed down videos never make the incident look much worse.

If anything this just goes to show Stewart had lost control of the ball and ran into Shaughnessy's tackle.

He certainly shat out of the tackle.

I'd be pissed off if one of our players did that.

Doesn't change the fact that the follow through was out of control and a red card eventually being issued would have been the decision of most officials.

Edited by FTOF

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Doesn't change the fact that the follow through was out of control and a red card eventually being issued would have been the decision of most officials.

Yeah, I think that most of us accept that in today's game a challenge like that is going to get punished. And it's no bad thing that it is, really. It's disappointing to lose him for the next game(s) but we have cover and at least we still managed to come away with a point. Even when down to 10 our defence looked fairly solid and it was an absolute fluke that ended up gifting County something to go up the road with.

18 minutes ago, FTOF said:

He certainly shat out of the tackle.

I'd be pissed off if one of our players did that.

Strikers don’t need to make those challenges.  It’s such a Scottish thing to demand nobody ever pulls out of a tackle.  It’s a bit like when fans start hounding their own defenders for “taking risks” by not walloping the ball 50 yards but instead playing neat passes on the edge of their area.  Stewart is not in the team to make tackles or “put himself about”.  Blaming the more skilful players for the actions of the lesser ones has been holding this game back years.

16 hours ago, tam the bud said:

A wee bit of luck from him and he would be around top scorer for the league.

Equally, if even a couple of them (v Killie and yesterday) had gone in, County could be 4 points better off than we are. Fine margins, “ifs and maybes” and all that.

He had a long break with injury last season, then not many games back before Covid ended the season. If he recaptures the form he was in earlier last season it should make a big difference to his confidence and the team’s chances, provided we keep a hold of him. Here’s hoping (if you’re a Staggy, anyway...)

Edited by The Great Stagsby

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Strikers don’t need to make those challenges.  It’s such a Scottish thing to demand nobody ever pulls out of a tackle.  It’s a bit like when fans start hounding their own defenders for “taking risks” by not walloping the ball 50 yards but instead playing neat passes on the edge of their area.  Stewart is not in the team to make tackles or “put himself about”.  Blaming the more skilful players for the actions of the lesser ones has been holding this game back years.

I disagree.

They may not be as good at tackling as other team members, but I, and I'd imagine any manager, would expect every player to contest a ball that they have a chance of winning. Especially, when there is no other player in the vicinity.

Otherwise, you are endorsing giving up possession just because a striker happens to be in the position of making a tackle. Especially in an area where a foul wouldn't really make a difference if the attacking player puts in a "forwards challenge".

Certainly, Morias and Obika both work really hard and aren't afraid to tackle when required.

25 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Not to mention he probably "pulled out" the tackle to avoid going studs up into a tackle and potentially getting sent off...

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Not to mention he probably "pulled out" the tackle to avoid going studs up into a tackle and potentially getting sent off...

Yeah, because that's what players think when they're making a tackle.:lol:

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Yeah, because that's what players think when they're making a tackle.:lol:

You see strikers pull their legs away in those situations all the time.

The odd time they dont they get sent off and everyone calls it a "strikers tackle".

I daresay Shaughnessy needlessly battering in, getting himself sent off and effectively costing you three points will be fine because he somehow showed "commitment" and "passion".

1 minute ago, CountyFan said:

Just an observation, but we now have several County fans, a Celtic fan, a St Johnstone fan and a Killie fan all saying it's a clear red.

It'll be because we all hate St Mirren and are jealous of their success, IMO.

Even when watching the game, I winced as soon as he put in the tackle and it obviously looks even worse in slow motion.

I think it's a red card and don't expect us to try and get it rescinded.

It's a shame as I think we'd have won yesterday too. Oh well - we at least defended well with ten men and got a point.

3 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Just an observation, but we now have several County fans, a Celtic fan, a St Johnstone fan and a Killie fan all saying it's a clear red.

Add me to that list. Genuinely surprised anyone is disputing it. It's not just 'tackle you can't make these days!', it's one that probably would have seen you off in the mid 1990s.