Playoff Semi Final , 18th October 2020

1 hour ago, charger29 said:

The main issue with Tierney playing RB now is he hasn't played there in 2 years. Maybe it's still the best option but the opportunity to get him more comfortable in the position has been and gone. Clarke fucked it when he messed about with the back 3 last month.

I'm expecting something like Palmer - Cooper - McKenna - Tierney - Robertson.

McKenna is a bombscare

Entirely at fault for Huddersfield goal on his debut

Probably no choice though

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Why would McTominay playing right midfield, a position he's never played in his puff, give us more balance than playing an actual right midfielder?

Why would playing possibly our best left back in centre midfield, instead of a guy who plays there for Manchester United, give us more balance?

And can people stop saying Tierney isn't a right back. We know, but he's been better there than any of the other jobbers we have, so he should play right back.

Mctominey is a right sided midfielder, preferably in a 3, but he’d be comfortable there in a 4. You play Mctominey there and I bet he start playing his best stuff in a Scotland shirt. You don’t need to be a winger to play on the flank. Plenty of teams have played with 3 or even four midfielders and 1 or no wingers and been very successful. The reason for Tierney in midfield is because we lack a midfielder with a defensive mindset, a tackler someone with a bit of aggression who can win the ball back, track runners, make interceptions, you know the stuff that all decent midfields do but ours doesn’t. We are too easy to score against and the midfield is part of the problem. He also has a nice range of passing, is mobile, seems to have a high football iq, so could adapt to a new position comfortable. It also allows Robertson and Tierney to both play. 

Edited by Rscot

5 minutes ago, Rscot said:

Mctominey is a right sided midfielder, preferably in a 3, but he’d be comfortable there in a 4. You play Mctominey there and I bet he start playing his best stuff in a Scotland shirt. You don’t need to be a winger to play on the flank. Plenty of teams have played with 3 or even four midfielders and 1 or no wingers and been very successful. The reason for Tierney in midfield is because we lack a midfielder with a defensive mindset, a tackler someone with a bit of aggression who can win the ball back, track runners, make interceptions, you know the stuff that all decent midfields do but ours doesn’t. We are too easy to score against and the midfield is part of the problem. He also has a nice range of passing, is mobile, seems to have a high football iq, so could adapt to a new position comfortable. It also allows Robertson and Tierney to both play. 

Playing with narrow midfielders is fine if you've got good wing backs providing width, but we have Liam Palmer so it's a stupid idea.

Can you tell me exactly when we were extremely difficult to score against? We haven't been difficult to score against in at least 20 years, even the fucking Faroes stuck two past us in 2002, so this nonsense about this squad being too easy to score against because we have shit midfielders is a complete red herring. Perhaps if we didn't lob our best midfielder in at centre back and completely change the shape of the team so that we can play two left backs we might be a bit better balanced. 

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Playing with narrow midfielders is fine if you've got good wing backs providing width, but we have Liam Palmer so it's a stupid idea.

Can you tell me exactly when we were extremely difficult to score against? We haven't been difficult to score against in at least 20 years, even the fucking Faroes stuck two past us in 2002, so this nonsense about this squad being too easy to score against because we have shit midfielders is a complete red herring. Perhaps if we didn't lob our best midfielder in at centre back and completely change the shape of the team so that we can play two left backs we might be a bit better balanced. 

Liam Palmer put in a lovely ball for the goal against the Czechs. But in that formation with those players I’d be looking for my left-side to be  doing most of the attacking until we get a better right back. We need to start keeping some clean sheets if we are to qualify for anything again. We can’t rely on scoring at least 2 goals a game to get anything from a game. 
And in my opinion Tierney is better suited to playing defensive  midfield than he is playing left-side of a centre halve pairing. And in my opinion that’s what our  midfield needs, a defensive midfielder, badly. 
The midfield is part of the problem of why we are letting in the amount of goals we do against the likes of Israel, Kazakhstan, Cyprus etc. Teams ranked around 90-100 by FIFA. 

Edited by Rscot

1 minute ago, Rscot said:

The midfield is part of the problem of why we are letting in the amount of goals we do against the likes of Israel, Kazakhstan, Cyprus etc. Teams ranked around 90-100 by FIFA. 

But we've pretty much always conceded goals to utter dross, as I pointed out as far back as 2002 we had a Primary school teacher playing for the team 114th in the world sticking two past us. Fucking Gibraltar scored against us at Hampden under Strachan. It's not a new thing and it's not brought on by our midfield being too soft.

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

But we've pretty much always conceded goals to utter dross, as I pointed out as far back as 2002 we had a Primary school teacher playing for the team 114th in the world sticking two past us. Fucking Gibraltar scored against us at Hampden under Strachan. It's not a new thing and it's not brought on by our midfield being too soft.

That’s another squad, with this squad, since Clarke has taken over, the midfield is a major factor as to why we are conceding the amount of goals we do. And as I said it’s another way of getting both Robertson and Tierney on the pitch at the same time. A lot of people have Tierney as a left-sided Centre halve in a back four in order to accommodate both of them. I think it would be better for Tierney and the team for him to be moved into midfield. I don’t fancy him as a left-sided Centre halve in a pairing. He can get away with it in a back 3, but I think he’d get exposed in a back 4.

Edited by Rscot

2 minutes ago, Rscot said:

That’s another squad, with this squad, since Clarke has taken over, the midfield is a major factor as to why we are conceding the amount of goals we do. And as I said it’s another way of getting both Robertson and Tierney on the pitch at the same time. A lot of people have Tierney as a left-sided Centre halve in a back four in order to accommodate both of them. I think it would be better for Tierney and the team for him to be moved into midfield. I don’t fancy him as a left-sided Centre halve in a pairing. He can get away with it in a back 3, but I think he’d get exposed in a back 4.

You think maybe because Clarke is yet to play guys in their best positions it might be having an effect on the goals we concede? 

I just can't accept that all we're missing is a big handy b*****d in the middle of the park to win the ball. We've played 4 at the back and one up front for pretty much my entire life time, Clarke has tried to switch that to a back 5 to fit two players in and it hasn't worked. No amount of Claude Makalele's are going to change that.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You think maybe because Clarke is yet to play guys in their best positions it might be having an effect on the goals we concede? 

I just can't accept that all we're missing is a big handy b*****d in the middle of the park to win the ball. We've played 4 at the back and one up front for pretty much my entire life time, Clarke has tried to switch that to a back 5 to fit two players in and it hasn't worked. No amount of Claude Makalele's are going to change that.

We are lacking quality in various positions, no matter the squad or formation. Until we get some better players then we will always struggle against a half-decent team. We don’t have any international class centre halves at this moment in time, we don’t have an international class right back or defensive midfielder. Even if Tierney could fill the defensive midfield position it still doesn’t solve the other problems we have at centre back or right back, but it would go some way to improving the midfield and overall team performance. In my opinion out of the positions in which we are lacking, defensive midfield is the biggest problem.

Slightly off topic, but I noticed Ali McCann has been called up to the NI senior squad and will probably make his debut.

Not sure if he was ever interested in representing Scotland, but if he was we might regret that one in a few years.

35 minutes ago, G51 said:

Slightly off topic, but I noticed Ali McCann has been called up to the NI senior squad and will probably make his debut.

Not sure if he was ever interested in representing Scotland, but if he was we might regret that one in a few years.

He's a good player, but he's not even in the top five Scottish midfielders in his rough age group.