Playoff Semi Final , 18th October 2020

14 hours ago, welldaft said:

I genuinely fear Clarke will stick to what has palpably not worked last 2 games. 

If he does and we lose then his time is up.

This. If he sticks by that nightmare of a system he has to live or die by the next couple of results.

2 hours ago, the snudge said:

What happens in the pubs if the game goes to extra time and pens and they need to leave at 10pm for the national teams biggest game for years? 

Anyway here's what I'd go with...

scotland-israel-694d0d643543149558eb0c2df862a2b0.jpg

Pretty much this, I’d probably play Armstrong over McGregor but this would do.

Prepared to bring Fraser off at half time if he does usual half arsed pish for Scotland 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Is this serious? Mitrovic isn't even in the same solar system as Haaland. Serbia are clearly the best draw for us, but I fully expect Haaland and co to rip them apart.

This.  Serbia would arguably be the worse tie should fans be allowed, because f**k going to Belgrade with our gang of shitebags, but now that that's out of the equation, I'd far rather come up against Serbia than Norway purely down to Haaland.  Serbia probably have the better team (although I'm purely basing that on the fact that I know more of their players) but Haaland should put the fear into anyone.  And he seems like a right shit, who would teabag any of our defenders again and again.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

This. If he sticks by that nightmare of a system he has to live or die by the next couple of results.

If he sets us up wrong, and Israel beat us, I'd punt him immediately to be honest.  Reactionary?  Probably.  But I'm not sure how he would be able to argue that playing a bad system against the same team a month earlier, then repeating the mistakes and getting papped out of our biggest chance of qualification in years is a mistake too far.

Can't see the SFA doing that though, even if we lose badly tomorrow.  

What happens in the pubs if the game goes to extra time and pens and they need to leave at 10pm for the national teams biggest game for years? 
Anyway here's what I'd go with...

scotland-israel-694d0d643543149558eb0c2df862a2b0.thumb.jpg.b69b9d781ee7bd6bf1166adf96977d19.jpg
This is my team too.

If McKenna and Palmer are out then it's a choice of O'Donnell at RB or Gallagher or Porteous at CB which is not a nice thought. Or we could go with back three again...

15 hours ago, welldaft said:

If McTominay plays at the back I will nail my dick to a plank of wood or not bother watching the game. 

I genuinely fear Clarke will stick to what has palpably not worked last 2 games. 

If he does and we lose then his time is up. The very least is get to the play off final. If we lose there as painful as it will be it would not be that unexpected. If Norway win through Haaland will single handedly batter us. 

Personally I think you should watch the game and go through with the dick nailing, to show your commitment and passion for the team.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I'm willing to give Clarke the benefit of the doubt here.

He's universally regarded as a top class coach and has been in the game for forty years.

He would be even more aware of the system's failing in the last couple of games than any of us are. Yet he persisted with it.

Now its not dogmatic, cause we all saw his Killie team employ a four at the back to great success for a long time, in all sorts of games home and away.  He could set up to shitfest or be aggressive with that formation and had great success.

So he's not ideologically wedded to 352. He's just identified something that makes him think we should be giving it a go. It didn't work great so far but we got away with it, as he may well have anticipated that we would.

Realistically its all been about building for these games, specifically the final, most likely Norway away. He may have identified ages ago the best way for us to win that game, in his opinion, is with a 352. But we need to play it a few times first, and players need a few runs in the positions they're going to be playing.

So I am reserving judgement with that. I'm a big fan of Clarke and have a lot of faith in him. So I'm willing to wait and see how it pans out, and in all fairness as long as we get to the final and don't get battered no matter what happens you couldn't call that a failure. So he would get the WC campaign for me whether we qualify or not, he deserves time either way.

For me, the sign of a top class coach is that the performance of his team is greater than the level of talent in the side. That's how you know a coach is adding value.

Clarke did that with Killie and West Brom. He didn't do that with Reading.  He hasn't come anywhere close to doing that with Scotland.

Now I'd normally be inclined to give a guy that I know can be a good coach some time to let him work things out. Clarke has had that now. We need to start seeing good team performances.

There's also the note that you can compare the current job to his previous ones all you like, but International Football is a graveyard of managers that were good at club level but ultimately failed.  It doesn't make them a bad coach or manager, it's just different skill sets.  Just like Michael O'Neill absolutely bossed getting a largely uninspiring Northern Ireland side to perform, but is now managing Stoke and doing just OK.  

I'm usually always on the side of giving manager's time, it took a long time for me to think that Strachan's time was up.  But that was in the times where we were chucked into qualification groups where we were always outside shots of having success.  We now have a two game series, the first of which is eminently winnable, and the second which could go either way.  If he goes out and gives it a good go and we come up short, that's fine.  If he goes out and plays some system that sees the players look like lost wee boys, that's a different story, and one that I'd hope the SFA asked very searching questions about.  We stand largely f**k all chance of getting to Qatar in 2022, so this is likely the best chance we'll get for another 3 years.  Just...don't f**k it up.

Pick your poison:20201007_150212.thumb.jpeg.a9170b9e49618db5a90013f167737f84.jpeg20201007_150200.thumb.jpeg.cd0e083d2391603767560d5714d79a99.jpeg

Sub in Porteous for Gallagher if you want but I'm not sure Clarke will give a young guy his debut in a game this big, and you can swap Fleck and McGregor in the 4-2-3-1 but I'd quite like to see Fleck in that narrow left role. Jack might play in the 3-5-2.