Musselburgh Athletic FC 2020-21

This is a shocker! After all that Musselburgh Athletic have done to be eligible to play in The Scottish Cup, they are treated like this? Players, management, committee & fans have now taken days off work at the most awkward time of the year and the "amateurs" at the SFA have no sensible, logical solution other than to insist the game must be played. 

Why? How can Wick continue in a National competition when clearly their pitch is not fit for purpose! 

This is so poor. The cynic in me suggests Wick want the tie to be played on Boxing Day simply because they don't want to potentially travel to Cowdenbeath on that day! That said, the weather is meant to be worse this week so goodness knows when it'll be played. Respect to all at MA whose heads must be spinning with this nonsense! 👌

Edited by Passthebaw
Amendment

4 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

This is a shocker! After all that Musselburgh Athletic have done to be eligible to play in The Scottish Cup, they are treated like this? Players, management, committee & fans have now taken days off work at the most awkward time of the year and the "amateurs" at the SFA have no sensible, logical solution other than to insist the game must be played. 

Why? How can Wick continue in a National competition when clearly their pitch is not fit for purpose! 

This is so poor. The cynic in me suggests Wick want the tie to be played on Boxing Day simply because they don't want to potentially travel to Cowdenbeath on that day! That said, the weather is meant to be worse this week so goodness knows when it'll be played. Respect to all at MA whose heads must be spinning with this nonsense! 👌

Dearie Me.

1 minute ago, Passthebaw said:

Care to elaborate? Clearly you're not effected. Many in the town are and it's shit! 

You're going about accusing Wick of all sorts here. 

Wick have played in this competition for many years yet you want them out of a national competition.

Yes it is frustrating and shit for you,the cynic in me thinks you'll go up there midweek sometime but Linlithgow managed a few seasons ago something similar. 

This competition is unfortunately not all about Musselburgh. 

6 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

Care to elaborate? Clearly you're not effected. Many in the town are and it's shit! 

Do you think Wick are paying off the SFA appointed ref who does the inspection? Blame the SFA for not making it an automatic switch to the away ground after a 2nd postponement.

8 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

You're going about accusing Wick of all sorts here. 

Wick have played in this competition for many years yet you want them out of a national competition.

Yes it is frustrating and shit for you,the cynic in me thinks you'll go up there midweek sometime but Linlithgow managed a few seasons ago something similar. 

This competition is unfortunately not all about Musselburgh. 

I'm not accusing Wick of anything. I said I "suggest Wick want the tie to be played on Boxing Day". Read the midweek article from their manager about how unjust a trip to Cowdenbeath would be on Boxing Day!

Secondly, I don't want them out of a National Competition - where did I say that? I want the game played! I set off last week and turned round on the Friday and lost money on hotel cost & fuel, as did many others. Shit happens, that's fine. But again on Tuesday and again today = more lost money, time & energy for many.

As for your last comment, of course it's not all about Musselburgh - who said that? We just want a fair crack at this and have been dealt a brutal set of cards, multiplied by the SFA's lack of understanding......and yours!

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you think Wick are paying off the SFA appointed ref who does the inspection? Blame the SFA for not making it an automatic switch to the away ground after a 2nd postponement.

I agree with the latter. 

I heard the match is being called off by a local linesman who stays close to the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

I'm not accusing Wick of anything. I said I "suggest Wick want the tie to be played on Boxing Day". Read the midweek article from their manager about how unjust a trip to Cowdenbeath would be on Boxing Day!

Secondly, I don't want them out of a National Competition - where did I say that? I want the game played! I set off last week and turned round on the Friday and lost money on hotel cost & fuel, as did many others. Shit happens, that's fine. But again on Tuesday and again today = more lost money, time & energy for many.

As for your last comment, of course it's not all about Musselburgh - who said that? We just want a fair crack at this and have been dealt a brutal set of cards, multiplied by the SFA's lack of understanding......and yours!

1) You asked how they can still play in the competition which sounds different? 

2) You shouldn't even have been travelling it's for home fans only wi the tiers?

3) Your 1st paragraph sounds like it's all about Musselburgh.

Aye but it's my lack of understanding 🙄.

It's totally understandable to be frustrated but it is December after all,best of luck to the Burgh I really hope you progress further. 👍

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

1) You asked how they can still play in the competition which sounds different? 

2) You shouldn't even have been travelling it's for home fans only wi the tiers?

3) Your 1st paragraph sounds like it's all about Musselburgh.

Aye but it's my lack of understanding 🙄.

It's totally understandable to be frustrated but it is December after all,best of luck to the Burgh I really hope you progress further. 👍

1. Agreed, my wording could have been better. But believe me, Musselburgh want the game to go ahead and win, not be awarded the tie.

2. The match can accommodate up to 300 fans. East Lothian was Tier 2 last Saturday & Tuesday and so we were entitled to travel. Committee members can travel any time.

3. Next time you visit Olivebank, you may just be surprised at how good it looks. The committee and fans have worked really hard during lockdown to achieve their status, and it's all turned a bit flat considering it's our first venture into the Scottish Cup. So as a fan and this page being about Musselburgh it's ok for me to concentrate on my team.

Thanks for your kind words on our progress. Hope so.

My main gripe here is with the SFA, who with their decision today on HoB & WW and their inability to ensure Wick had an alternative ground available, are making a mockery of the competition. 

Edited by Passthebaw

2 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Absolutely raging this weekend! PTB!

Last weekend some fans who went for a long walk, stepped on the park and said at that time match was playable.

This week looking at weather for Wick Thursday/Friday with 20% of rain. Tomorrow, dry as a bone! 

From the look on the wee video last week, ground looked a lot better than we’ve played at times this season!

Cant help but think this week we have (allegedly) had - big time!

some have said, we knew this could happen after joining EoS, but the amount of prep as you say has been incredible. Bus booked at huge cost both weeks only to be told around 11am both Fridays’  we ain’t travelling. It smells or feels sh1te!!

All undoubtedly brutal but with the nature of this seasons tournament with Wick and ourselves entering in December there was a good chance that fixtures would fall to the weather.

If we had to play away at Wick in a regular season then it would be in August, lot less likely to be called off.  Fair chance Cowden could be called off Boxing Day as well, not unknown for a frost to bite in Fife in December.

27 minutes ago, RobM said:

All undoubtedly brutal but with the nature of this seasons tournament with Wick and ourselves entering in December there was a good chance that fixtures would fall to the weather.

If we had to play away at Wick in a regular season then it would be in August, lot less likely to be called off.  Fair chance Cowden could be called off Boxing Day as well, not unknown for a frost to bite in Fife in December.

You seam about the only Musselburgh fan on social media to think this situation is okay (brutal but okay). That’s not to say you are wrong but certainly out of step!

Last week on Thursday, Wick said there would be no issue with pitch, even though the weather looked dodgy over Friday/Saturday. This week, albeit I don’t stay up in Wick, throughout the week, weather forecast changed from bad to fine and again, nothing of warning on Thursday that there was an issue. 20% chance of rain latter part of week, yet match called off around 10:30-11.00am today.

Just not really wanting to cast aspersions on another team particularly when the weather was brutal up there last Friday (we heard from somebody now staying up that way that it was hellish), ,maybe being too trusting but they've had a midweek game cancelled as well, kind of balances things a wee bit.

10 hours ago, RobM said:

Just not really wanting to cast aspersions on another team particularly when the weather was brutal up there last Friday (we heard from somebody now staying up that way that it was hellish), ,maybe being too trusting but they've had a midweek game cancelled as well, kind of balances things a wee bit.

I admire your faith, Rob, and I do genuinely hope you are correct. Integrity in sport is crucial. 

But defending the SFA in this is difficult. No plan B! It seems it's a get it played at whatever cost, at whatever inconvenience and at the worst time of the year. Why not switch the tie? Why not insist on a neutral venue? Why not insist on a playable surface? Because they don't care? It's very disappointing.

11 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

You seam about the only Musselburgh fan on social media to think this situation is okay (brutal but okay). That’s not to say you are wrong but certainly out of step!

Last week on Thursday, Wick said there would be no issue with pitch, even though the weather looked dodgy over Friday/Saturday. This week, albeit I don’t stay up in Wick, throughout the week, weather forecast changed from bad to fine and again, nothing of warning on Thursday that there was an issue. 20% chance of rain latter part of week, yet match called off around 10:30-11.00am today.

Our game in Inverness got postponed this morning due to a waterlogged pitch, it absolutely pished down yesterday afternoon and last night, pitch was perfect on Thursday. The weather changes quickly up here. The idea that there's some kind of conspiracy going on is laughable, why do you think Wick wouldn't want a full crowd in today and possibly Boxing Day as well? I don't agree with the SFA rules, but the clubs make them, they are what they are.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Our game in Inverness got postponed this morning due to a waterlogged pitch, it absolutely pished down yesterday afternoon and last night, pitch was perfect on Thursday. The weather changes quickly up here. The idea that there's some kind of conspiracy going on is laughable, why do you think Wick wouldn't want a full crowd in today and possibly Boxing Day as well? I don't agree with the SFA rules, but the clubs make them, they are what they are.

I agree with you from last week (initially) as I said to another supporter that the impact would affect the local community too, with the hotels book, restaurant booked etc. But couple of our supporters went onto pitch on Sunday saying if this was Olivebank, match would be on. Seemed to back up my stance though when Tuesday’s match also off.

However, the weather hasn’t looked too inclement this week and any weather forecasts I saw on bbc and sky news programmes also pointed to that. So, I don’t think I am suggesting any idea of conspiracy here?

Our 2nd match this season was at home against Newtongrange, on a Tuesday/Wednesday night. It absolutely pist down most of day, only stopping a couple of hours before kick off - odds on to be postponed. But a committee member and I forked a big section of the pitch as the water was lying on surface. Worked on it for an hour, just before players started arriving. Then ref came asked for a ball and came off pitch giving it the okay! 

Pretty sure given the conditions, Wick would have a greater chance on today’s match being on that our pitch on that day!! Couple of possible reasons;

Local linesman is stricter in his decisions over past week that a lot of others would be?

How hard did the committee at Wick try, to give pitch best chance of surviving a pitch inspection??

Finally, Inverness and Wick must be a greater distance between Musselburgh and Dundee? No way can you compare grounds between towns/City!  

4 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

I admire your faith, Rob, and I do genuinely hope you are correct. Integrity in sport is crucial. 

But defending the SFA in this is difficult. No plan B! It seems it's a get it played at whatever cost, at whatever inconvenience and at the worst time of the year. Why not switch the tie? Why not insist on a neutral venue? Why not insist on a playable surface? Because they don't care? It's very disappointing.

You are being kind PTB! I know I am not always right and you have told me so previously on this forum. But on this occasion I cannot agree with Rob’s thoughts. Unfortunately, who knows, on this occasion who is right.

43 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

But a committee member and I forked a big section of the pitch as the water was lying on surface. Worked on it for an hour, just before players started arriving. Then ref came asked for a ball and came off pitch giving it the okay! 

If only you'd gone up to Wick with your magic fork, the day would have been saved!

6 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Wouldn't defend the SFA in the slightest.  We have never had any difficulties in the admin from the EoSL at any time as far as I can make out, they've been immaculate, soon as anything falls under the auspices of the SFA though......

Every point in your secnd paragraph there I'd agree with.