The Wildcat Douglas Ross Experiment

Ludo*1

17 minutes ago, Antlion said:

It won’t happen, but I’d love the baroness to get the gig. It would be good to see her systematically broken down by the UK media rather than being given the soft soap treatment she enjoyed as the jolly, true-blue colonel in Scotland. 

The tories have a strange relationship with women in power, it seems to be based on whether they align with them politically. If they do then they are heralded as some sort of proud Budica-like character, fighting the invaders from overseas. If, on the other hand, they don't align, then it's misogyny, intellectual snobbery and down right condescension. I have to say though, I had tipped her to be a dark horse if a leadership battle was to happen, I wouldn't be placing money on her to win though.

Edited by Ric

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

You may laugh but I posted a page or two back the "benefits" Davidson has.

And, yes, "Stewart", thanks! I could see his face, just couldn't grab the name from the back of my head.

I read it. I laughed at it then. It remains laughable because of the complete lack of probability a Tory would abandon the grace and privilege of the upper house.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

She's got zero chance, all the "one nation" Tories have been purged, only a true believer Brexiteer has a chance.

Truss, remainer, currently one of the favourites..

14 minutes ago, Ric said:

The tories have a strange relationship with women in power, it seems to be based on whether they align with them politically. If they do then they are heralded as some sort of proud Budica-like character, fighting the invaders from overseas. If on the other hand, they don't align then it's misogyny, intellectual snobbery and down right condescension. I have to say though, I had tipped her to be a dark horse if a leadership battle was to happen, I wouldn't be placing money on her to win though.

I think the male Tory approach to women in power is that they only approve if she fits their “I secretly wish my stern and disciplinarian former nanny would bend me over her knee and give me a damn good thrashing” fantasies.

Edited by Antlion

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Yup, but she's a born again Brexit evangelist and a right wing fruitloop.

As is Davidson, she has said she accepts the decision made and supports her party's stance on it.

14 minutes ago, Zern said:

I read it. I laughed at it then. It remains laughable because of the complete lack of probability a Tory would abandon the grace and privilege of the upper house.

That's the point I was making, she does not need to abandon those privileges. There is no rule to say she has to sit in the House of Commons.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

That's the point I was making, she does not need to abandon those privileges. There is no rule to say she has to sit in the House of Commons.

This is true - but apparently Alec Douglas-Home was the last lord to become leader of the Tories and subsequently PM. He gave up his Lords seat for one in the Commons (for Perth!) at the first available by-election. Of course, I’d love to see the Tories try and take politics back to the early 60s. Scenes.

I've tried* but I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for wee Douglas Ross. He must be feeling utterly humiliated. We all used to joke about Fluffy Mundell licking Downing Street's toilet floor, but somehow Ross must feel even less self-respect, having to go out and bat for a party that regards him as an absolute nothing, but still he dutifully and meekly will troop along to the next interview and do what his betters tell him. Fantastic stuff. 

* lies 

Edited by Day of the Lords

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Except that we're talking a leadership contest. A tory leadership contest. A dirty contest. You think no-one will mention the fact that someone who aspires to be Prime Minister is afraid to place themselves before the electorate?

You think Angela Rayner or Nicola Sturgeon will fail to mention that?

Boris Johnson wanted to be PM because he felt he deserved the title and the right to swan about the world stage - no other reason, really. Davidson has never wanted a title or power or responsibility - she’s only ever wanted to line her own pockets. That just happens to be easier when those pockets are in an ermine robe (and it’s far easier to rake it in as a peer than a PM).

13 minutes ago, Zern said:

Except that we're talking a leadership contest. A tory leadership contest. A dirty contest. You think no-one will mention the fact that someone who aspires to be Prime Minister is afraid to place themselves before the electorate?

You think Angela Rayner or Nicola Sturgeon will fail to mention that?

Are you telling me the tories would not elect a leader because Rayner or Sturgeon would attack them politically? Because I have news for you... ;)

22 minutes ago, Antlion said:

This is true - but apparently Alec Douglas-Home was the last lord to become leader of the Tories and subsequently PM. He gave up his Lords seat for one in the Commons (for Perth!) at the first available by-election. Of course, I’d love to see the Tories try and take politics back to the early 60s. Scenes.

Sturgeon leader of the SNP, a party represented in the Commons does not sit in the Commons.

Foster while leader of the DUP, a party represented in the Commons does not sit in the Commons.

I think you see where I'm coming from. The idea that you need to have your leader in the Commons is perhaps a notion of historical deference.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I don't think Ross has a chance in hell. I'd say the Rory lad who I forget the name of, but was really earnest about everything yet looked as electable as Corbyn, had more chance of being PM than Ross.

Now, Davidson, that is still my dark horse should a run happen.

Davidson is the Jim McIntyre of UK Politics - every time a vacancy arises the name is trotted out only for, well, f**k all to happen. 

As if what BJ did wasn't bad enough, the mere fact that so many of the cabinet and high ranking party members are going on record to not only defend it but JUSTIFY IT is truly frightening.

The Scottish put down aside, the arrogance and contempt for the electorate that they are showing is just unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, we all KNEW exactly how they thought of Scotland and indeed all the paupers throughout the land, but to actually go on public record is another level of arrogance that should have any sane person seriously questioning the direction this country is heading.

If this doesn't put the terminal nail in their political coffin then I'm afraid nothing will.....

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Are you telling me the tories would not elect a leader because Rayner or Sturgeon would attack them politically? Because I have news for you... ;)

No. What i am saying is that being unelected and unaccountable to the electorate is such an obvious liability in Prime Ministerial candidate that no modern politician, much less Ruth Davidson, would entertain the fact.

She's not stupid.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

As if what BJ did wasn't bad enough, the mere fact that so many of the cabinet and high ranking party members are going on record to not only defend it but JUSTIFY IT is truly frightening.

The Scottish put down aside, the arrogance and contempt for the electorate that they are showing is just unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, we all KNEW exactly how they thought of Scotland and indeed all the paupers throughout the land, but to actually go on public record is another level of arrogance that should have any sane person seriously questioning the direction this country is heading.

If this doesn't put the terminal nail in their political coffin then I'm afraid nothing will.....

basically, the belief now is that a spin can be put on everything, absolutely anything, no matter how contemptible or criminal. That is frightening. And still millions would return to the ballot box tomorrow and vote for "Boris"., including many Scottish Tories/unionists despite how they are thought of or treated by those they are voting for. That is even more frightening. 

17 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Scotland won't vote for independence. I mean don't get me wrong, with every fibre of my body I wish that not be to the case, but you can take us (as a country) to the edge any number of times but we will refuse to jump. Traditionally that has a lot to do with generational change, there were a lot of boomers, and generations before, kicking around that were wedded to the union psychologically. It's true that that is a dwindling number for all the reasons you'd expect, I still see Westminster not just "pulling a fast one"* but literally carpet bombing the media and online with endless F.U.D. and the re-mergence of Project Fear (it was dusted for IndyRef then Brexit but has been lying low of late) to the point that they saturate the discourse and pushing enough "maybe"s onto the union side.

The tories have devastated Scotland, politically, culturally and ethically, and the worst part is that for enough people that's fine and they just keep on sucking up to the union. It's our own fault we are not independent and that is the most damning problem.

* edit: when I say "pull a fast one", there is absolutely no chance the next referendum will be fought on the same grounds as either the last one or Brexit. Gove, the person responsible for leading any vote should A30 be triggered, has already hinted at this. It will not be "a simple majority" it will have criteria that a % of people need to vote, or that a % greater than a simple majority must be reached. People will point out how it's different to Brexit but Westminster won't care because they gatekeep A30 and it's effectively "their way or the highway".

Edited by Ric