Hibernian v The Rangers

13 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

He has yeah, quite a lot, defensively not great (as you’ll see if you saw the penalty he gave away against Aberdeen) but he does pick the ball up deep and acts as a good ball carrier, could also be played there to match Kent for pace.

Interesting.

There's a good chance both sides come up against something new on Sunday, which adds a bit more mystery to it all.

I think it'll be a 3-5-2. We were fucking slaughtered down the wings last time we had this fixture (3-0 going on 10-0) but that was a diamond with Naismith and Stevenson hung out to dry. I think/hope Boyle and Doig will cover the space a bit better. It leaves the possibility of us being overrun again but I really think we'll need Nisbet and Doidge starting together to get the ball out of our own half in this one.

I'm not expecting much but we better put in a better showing than we've seen against Rangers recently. Some truly pathetic performances last season where as mentioned, we were lucky for the scorelines to not be more embarrassing. The pumping at Ibrox under Hecky could've been any score.

The only Hibs games I've watched this season were against DU and A'deen but I think that was them at their worst so I expect this to be a close one.

I think the lack of crowd/atmosphere will work more for us than them, though, so if I had to choose I'd go for an away win.

Having watched today;s game I'd go with the following - if Roofe is fit:

McLaughlin
Tavernier Goldson Helander Barišić
Davis Kamara
Roofe Hagi Kent
Morelos

Edited by The_Kincardine

Rangers have been very impressive so far, it would be a huge bonus to get anything from this. Kent scares the life out of me but Paul McGinn has been arguably our best player this season.

I'd go:

Marciano
McGinn Porteous Hanlon Doig
Boyle Gogic Newell Wright
Nisbet Doidge 

Not a huge fan of Wright based on what I've seen so far but none of the back up centre mids have done enough this season to warrant a start. It gives us some continuity with only Murphy having to drop out from the team last week.

The best thing about the group of players we have is that it really allows us to be fluid tactically. The two wingers are comfortable defending if we get penned in but you could easily still say that there's 5 predominantly attack minded players in that team. Should be interesting. 2-1 Rangers.

2 hours ago, conboyhibs said:

Rangers have been very impressive so far, it would be a huge bonus to get anything from this. Kent scares the life out of me but Paul McGinn has been arguably our best player this season.

I'd go:

Marciano
McGinn Porteous Hanlon Doig
Boyle Gogic Newell Wright
Nisbet Doidge 

Not a huge fan of Wright based on what I've seen so far but none of the back up centre mids have done enough this season to warrant a start. It gives us some continuity with only Murphy having to drop out from the team last week.

The best thing about the group of players we have is that it really allows us to be fluid tactically. The two wingers are comfortable defending if we get penned in but you could easily still say that there's 5 predominantly attack minded players in that team. Should be interesting. 2-1 Rangers.

From Gerrard's press conference earlier, it sounds like he's expecting Hibs to go 4-4-2.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

From Gerrard's press conference earlier, it sounds like he's expecting Hibs to go 4-4-2.

Yeah I think that's likely. With the personnel we have it's pretty easy to switch it to a 3-5-2 if need be. It will be interesting to see how Rangers back line cope with 2 decent strikers, I imagine it's the first time this season they've had to do that.

7 minutes ago, conboyhibs said:

Yeah I think that's likely. With the personnel we have it's pretty easy to switch it to a 3-5-2 if need be. It will be interesting to see how Rangers back line cope with 2 decent strikers, I imagine it's the first time this season they've had to do that.

I can't think of any occasions where we've come up against 2 up top this season. Leverkusen only played one but it felt like four.

Massive game for us. At this point it looks like Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs are the top four this year. We're away to all three in the first round of matches this season. Already taken three points from Pittodrie, if we can do the same here it would be a big statement.

29 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Most indifferent I’ve been about a Hibs Rangers game that I can ever remember, fed up of games behind closed doors, our best start to a top flight season in years and it’s generated even less excitement than teams of Williamson, Heckingbottom and Calderwood.

It's interesting the differing reactions to the closed door games. I still get excited for them, mostly because they're the only good thing still going during this pandemic.