The "I Forgot He Played For Us" Championship Edition

Dundee squad full:

Dominic Cervi -  American goalkeeper. Most famous for being the b*****d that saved one of Matt Lockwood's penalties and forever denting his confidence. Retired after a stint at Morton.

Clayton Ince - Not only did we have Trinidad & Tobago's number 1 (Keeping Shaka Hislop out the goal FFS) in Kelvin Jack, but we had signed their number 3 some years previously on loan. Never made an appearance.

Jeremy Malherbe - Signed as back-up by Neil McCann. Has a massive fan club in Serbia.

Colin Marshall - Regularly used to be called our worst ever player and he'd certainly be a candidate as he featured for us in our worst ever performing season. Popped up for Cowdenbeath about 6 year ago and then went off the radar again.

Keith Shevlin - A striker that apparently scored 8 goals for us in 28 appearances according to Wiki. I doubt this is true. Can't remember him playing at all for us.

Jon Boggan - Vaguely remember him being like his name suggests. 1 or 2 appearance wonder, never to be seen again.

Craig Sives - Arrived on loan from Hearts. Heralded as the next big thing, got injured and don't think I ever watched him pull on a Dundee shirt.

Eddie Mearns - Terrible, terrible footballer. Signed by Alex Rae who probably thought he was his son. Played 4 games and punted as soon as Jocky Scott came in.

Darren Williams - A Sunderland 'legend'. Him along with Patrick Noubissie formed one of the worst central midfields we've ever had.

Ryan O'Leary - Possibly most 'famous' for his spat and alleging that Jimmy Calderwood was a bully. Arrived on loan and was alright for us tbf. Most recently starring in a Netflix original series called '21 Thunder' and goes by the name Ryan Pierce.

Charlie Grant - Hailed as one of Celtic's most promising youth products but had been hampered by injuries. Looked nowhere near being good enough for us before he succumbed to injuries and duly retired in his early 20s.

David Morgan - Last roll of the dice by Barry Smith. Signed on loan from Nottingham Forest - played once, in Bomber's first game which was a mauling from Celtic and then never seen again. Plies his trade for Southport now.

Rhys Healey - Very promising striker signed on loan from Cardiff. Case of what could have been as he got injured whilst scoring a goal and went back to Cardiff. Smashed it at MK Dons last season before Toulouse signed him a couple of weeks ago much to the rage of MK Dons fans.

21 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Did Rocky not play against Dunfermline and done well? 

Anyway for Dunfermline I'd throw in

Jamie Harris - Welsh centre back who came with Stephen Kenny from Derry, had loads of injury problems though and didn't play much, when he did okay though I liked him. 

Michael McGlinchey - Came in on loan from Celtic, didn't really do anything at all, didn't rate him. Would play in a world Cup within two years and later be in the a league team of the year. 

Craig Easton - Came in during our shite premier league season, better than Paul Burns at least. 

Bernardo Dominguez - Spanish keeper who we payed a wedge to sit on the bench behind Chris Smith. 

Iain Turner - Came in to try and replace Smith, got injured. 

Ivan D'Angelo-Came on trial with Faiss, Italian, played a few games. 

Scott Robinson - Came in on an amateur contract? Had 2 games, ended up eventually at Livi where he's done very well. 

Bobby ryan,  another Stephen kenny no Mark.  Kenny seemed to think he’d be brilliant,  he wasn’t.  I’m pretty sure kenny brought over a few more duds but genuinely can’t remember who they are.

simon Wiles,  Came up from England struggled for fitness initially, got fit, played a handful of games and got injured again, left never to be seen again.

Stephen Jordan- similar story, apparently played 24 times for us, I think I remember about 10 seconds  of it.

Also Kevin Kyle,   Played a pre-season game vs Bristol city and decked several of their players,  was offered a deal I believe but ended up taking ridiculous wages from new rangers instead.

I've just thought of even more!

Ally Ridgers - Brother of Mark.  Charlie Christie wanted to sign Vito Mannone from Arsenal but couldn't guarantee him first team football so Arsene Wenger vetoed the loan deal.  We signed the goalkeeper from Clach on loan instead.  Two spells at the club, no appearances.

Zibi Malkowski - On loan from Hibs.  Signed by Brewster who obviously didn't rate the aforementioned Ridgers.  Only played against Gretna and once against Aberdeen where he inexplicably forgot how to kick the ball properly and let a tame shot from distance roll past him into the net for some reason.

Ibra Sekajja - Signed for three months following his release from Crystal Palace in our cup winning season to give us another option up front.  I remember almost nothing about him other than his shooting in the warm up prior to his debut at St Mirren Park which was comically bad.  Later signed for Livingston and made headlines for injuring himself in a goal celebration.

Tarmo Kink - A Scottish Cup winner (by default).  Had played 70-odd times for Estonia and had previously been with Middlesbrough and Spartak Moscow.  Slow and lazy.  

Gary McSwegan - Now you wouldn't think that signing a 36 year old striker with a history of injury problems from the league below who'd scored once in 34 appearances would've made it in the top flight...and you'd be right!  Inexplicably signed by Christie from Ross County and this guy was way way past it.  One start, ten cameos off the bench, no goals.

Edited by Highland Capital

17 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I've just thought of even more!

Ally Ridgers - Brother of Ally.  Charlie Christie wanted to sign Vito Mannone from Arsenal but couldn't guarantee him first team football so Arsene Wenger vetoed the loan deal.  We signed the goalkeeper from Clach on loan instead.  Two spells at the club, no appearances.

Zibi Malkowski - On loan from Hibs.  Signed by Brewster who obviously didn't rate the aforementioned Ridgers.  Only played against Gretna and once against Aberdeen where he inexplicably forgot how to kick the ball properly and let a tame shot from distance roll past him into the net for some reason.

Ibra Sekajja - Signed for three months following his release from Crystal Palace in our cup winning season to give us another option up front.  I remember almost nothing about him other than his shooting in the warm up prior to his debut at St Mirren Park which was comically bad.  Later signed for Livingston and made headlines for injuring himself in a goal celebration.

Tarmo Kink - A Scottish Cup winner (by default).  Had played 70-odd times for Estonia and had previously been with Middlesbrough and Spartak Moscow.  Slow and lazy.  

Gary McSwegan - Now you wouldn't think that signing a 36 year old striker with a history of injury problems from the league below who'd scored once in 34 appearances would've made it in the top flight...and you'd be right!  Inexplicably signed by Christie from Ross County and this guy was way way past it.  One start, ten cameos off the bench, no goals.

Must have been confusing in their household!

On 19/09/2020 at 11:05, diegomarahenry said:

Albiston was one of the long line of Stainrod signings that turned up out the blue. I think his only game was against Falkirk. Albiston was up against Richard Cadete and got rode rotten. Stainrod got sacked and Albiston retired the following week. 

I'm sure Albiston played in what was George Burley's last game in charge. Stainrod went after a 4-1 home defeat against Berwick.

On 18/09/2020 at 14:44, paulbrucerick said:

Arthur Albiston played once for Ayr. I could have sworn Steve Archibald played a game for us as well (at Firhill?) but I can't find any proof . Perhaps I imagined it!

Archibald played for Ayr in a 4-1 defeat away to Partick. Ne,t time we saw him he was manager of Airdrie.

On 19/09/2020 at 09:26, THEHonestman1910 said:

Yeah, I think he scored against Dunfermline in our relegation 09-10 season. He seemed like a tidy player but left after about 4 games. 

Visconte played in that game but I'm sure Tam McManus scored the winner.

John Dodds

Stephen Swift  /  Neil Orr  /  Stewart Greacen  /  Marc Fitzpatrick

Paul Kinnaird  /  John Henry  /  Paul Harvey  /  Brian Gilmour

Gerry Creaney  /  Dennis Wyness

ALTERNATIVE XI...

Tom Carson

John Potter  /  Craig Sives  /  Marvin Andrews

Greg Kiltie  /  Warren Moon  /  Stuart Wilson*  /  Allan Preston

Darren Henderson

Alex Williams  /  Jamie Mole

* - I have no recollection of this guy at all, but he allegedly made 30 odd appearances for us over 2 seasons in the mid 90s.  Came from Meadowbank, went to Alloa apparently.

I was sure Fraser Wishart played for QOS but couldn't find him when checking the centenary book.  Am I just imagining things?

53 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

John Dodds

ALTERNATIVE XI...

Tom Carson

Darren Henderson

* - I have no recollection of this guy at all, but he allegedly made 30 odd appearances for us over 2 seasons in the mid 90s.  Came from Meadowbank, went to Alloa apparently.

I was sure Fraser Wishart played for QOS but couldn't find him when checking the centenary book.  Am I just imagining things?

Fraser Wishart has never played for us so, yes, you've imagined that.

Stuart Wilson was a winger in the part-time days. He was in the RAF I think from memory.

I remember all of those and indeed saw all of them play. Creaney was never signed for us. Single game as a trialist I think. Dennis Wyness probably the one in there that most will have forgotten about I suspect.

Some of those were pretty good for us to be fair. Orr was outstanding but played for us for a month or two prior to emigrating I think. Henderson was good for us too and Paul Harvey was decent enough and incredibly earned us a transfer fee. Fitzpatrick was only here very briefly but won a cup final and scored a penalty in it (gave one away too even though it was a joke decision). Brian Gilmour was in the Scottish Cup Final squad too, though he was the unlucky man to miss out on a place on the bench for the final. He was stripped for the semi final.

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Fraser Wishart has never played for us so, yes, you've imagined that.

A hasty trawl through old match programmes reveals that Wishart was a guest player in the Lockerbie Disaster friendly against Man U along with Roy Aitken and Mark McGhee.

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

How could any QoS fan forget Gilmour? So much potential with a stinking attitude.

I remember I was well chuffed when Gilmour signed, I just can't recall him making any contribution on the pitch whatsoever.

Some players are easy to forget, others not so for all the wrong reasons.  Like Derek Hoy.

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

A hasty trawl through old match programmes reveals that Wishart was a guest player in the Lockerbie Disaster friendly against Man U along with Roy Aitken and Mark McGhee.

Fair enough, wasn't there, was away at Uni at the time. Has never played for us in any official fixture then. 😄

55 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I remember I was well chuffed when Gilmour signed, I just can't recall him making any contribution on the pitch whatsoever.

Some players are easy to forget, others not so for all the wrong reasons.  Like Derek Hoy.

😲 Terrible keeper. Worst signed keeper in my time I think. Saved from being the worst ever by Kris Robertson's 2 match trialist cameo.

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

John Dodds

ALTERNATIVE XI...

Tom Carson

Darren Henderson

Stuart Wilson was a great player. As mentioned he was in the RAF and came to Meadowbank from East Fife.

The last ever Meadowbank Thistle league game before being franchised to Livingston was at Cappielow. At the full time whistle Wilson gave his jersey to a fan knowing he was leaving the club at the end of the season. Club secretary and utter cnut Jim Renton (ex-ref) tried to get the police to arrest the fan for theft despite Wilson handing it over voluntarily by which time Wilson's shirt had been passed to another fan and spirited out the ground.

And they wonder why we Thistle fans never followed Livingston....