Good bands/artists with few releases

GNU_Linux

Thinking bands/artists who never got beyond a single album or even less i.e. an EP or two or even nothing beyond the demo stage.

Timeghoul

New York based death metal band who'se entire output was two demo cassettes in 1992 & 1994. The band's sound was very forward thinking for it's time death metal with major sci-fi & space overtones. The bands entire output was compiled & released by Dark Descent Records in 2012 bringing their music to a wider audience. The band's popularity has further increased due to the excellent Blood Incantation (who are on the same label) taking major influence from Timeghoul in terms of both sound & thematic content.

Repulsion are often cited as being one of the bands responsible for creating Grindcore with their only album, 1986's Horrified.

There may be something wrong with me, but it would probably make my top ten favourite albums list.

11 minutes ago, Oscar Wilder said:

Sex Pistols

I surmised it was bands that had been together for a while but didn't produce many records. The Sex Pistols split in 1978 and haven't recorded since. I'm not counting the revival circus they do now and again.

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I surmised it was bands that had been together for a while but didn't produce many records. The Sex Pistols split in 1978 and haven't recorded since. I'm not counting the revival circus they do now and again.

I considered the Pistols as Never Mind The Bollocks is one of the greatest albums of all time but then I remembered The Great Rock 'n' Swindle....

Siege

Siege's entire output while an actively recording band was a six track demo called Drop Dead plus three compilation tracks. In just nine songs the Weymouth, MA band took hardcore in a faster more extreme direction laying the groundwork for grindcore that'd be expanded upon & solidified by the likes of Napalm Death on 'Scum' & Repulsion's 'Horrified'. The related style of powerviolence owes itself to Siege with the likes of Infest, Spazz & Drop Dead (named after Siege's demo) solidifying the microgenre in the early 90's. The demo even has a saxophone on the track Grim Reaper an experiment picked up later by John Zorn's Naked City.

The 9 tracks were compiled & released under the name of the demo 1994 & has saw re-issues with additional unreleased tracks from the 'Drop Dead' recording sessions. Siege broke up in 1985 then re-formed briefly in 1991 with Seth Putnam of the notorious Anal Cūnt on vocals. A second still active reunion happened in 2016 with two original members involved. Sadly original vocalist Kevin Mahoney passed away in 2011.

13 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Repulsion are often cited as being one of the bands responsible for creating Grindcore with their only album, 1986's Horrified.

There may be something wrong with me, but it would probably make my top ten favourite albums list.

Decent shout. Along the lines of the extreme end of things, I'd plump for Nailbomb. Just the album (Point Blank), one gig, thank you and good night.

Pistols, obvs.

14 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

X Ray Spex are another band from that era who only released one album. I believe they reformed and released another in the 90s but I've never heard it.