Scotland Squad face November

Craigieboy86

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

O'Donnell has done quite well in the last couple of games. Certainly has moved himself ahead of palmer in the pecking order.

I'd still rather have Tierney in at right wing back. Just because he's far better than O'Donnell and palmer at every conceivable attribute which you could judge a footballer.

Looking at stats of certain games in isolation means nothing. You could find stats to argue any old rubbish.

Tierney is one of the main guys at arsenal for a reason, he can stroll right back far better than anyone else we have.

I'm not looking at stats of certain games in isolation, I was using stats to back up an observation which I made from our three most recent games, the only ones in which we've actually played the formation which we're likely to use against Serbia. From watching the games it was clear that O'Donnell was playing in a very advanced position on the park, a place on the pitch that Kieran Tierney would have essentially no experience of being in. It would not represent a good use of his ability compared to picking him on the left of a back three, the position in which he is actually "one of the main guys at Arsenal".

I have said many times that Kieran Tierney is the best right-back we have available, but we aren't playing with a right-back so that is not particularly useful to us.

48 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There is no context where this means anything other than him not wanting to play for Scotland. A person who wanted to play for Scotland would say something like "I'll keep plugging away and hopefully get called up eventually".

Absolute complete and utter bullshit. You're simply lying, or possibly a moron.  He said right before that 'if they don't think I'm good enough to play for my country so be it blah blah'.

You're full of shit. He never retired, never asked not to be considered for selection, he just stopped getting picked, and when asked about it, fandans like you completely misrepresent what he said to give it the precise opposite of its intended meaning and its nonsense and very low.

There is no context where this means anything other than him not wanting to play for Scotland.

Surely you are capable of interpreting the nuances of a conversation, or "reading between the lines"?

Journalist asked: "Strachan hasn't picked you. How do you feel that he doesn't rate you?"
Bardsley said: “I’m not really interested to be perfectly honest — I just want to go on holiday for four days!"

Do you really think that can *only* mean he hates playing for Scotland and never wants to do so again?
Couldn't it be possible that his pride is wounded and he's snapping back at the journalist and, via him, Strachan? I.e. he hasn't handled the provocative question very well? I.e. he's just human/ imperfect/ a bit of a dick?

For the record I don't particularly want him back for us. Wouldn't be bothered if he did get a call up but I'd hope we can find a younger option.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Kicking with a right foot?

Yes this was considered before the post, so yes even kicking with his right foot.

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not looking at stats of certain games in isolation, I was using stats to back up an observation which I made from our three most recent games, the only ones in which we've actually played the formation which we're likely to use against Serbia. From watching the games it was clear that O'Donnell was playing in a very advanced position on the park, a place on the pitch that Kieran Tierney would have essentially no experience of being in. It would not represent a good use of his ability compared to picking him on the left of a back three, the position in which he is actually "one of the main guys at Arsenal".

I have said many times that Kieran Tierney is the best right-back we have available, but we aren't playing with a right-back so that is not particularly useful to us.

So yes, stats in isolation. Exactly as you described.

Tierney isn't just the best right back we have available. He by far one of the best players we have available.

Hes on a different planet to the likes of O'Donnell and palmer. 

Yes this was considered before the post, so yes even kicking with his right foot.

So yes, stats in isolation. Exactly as you described.

Tierney isn't just the best right back we have available. He by far one of the best players we have available.

Hes on a different planet to the likes of O'Donnell and palmer. 

I'm not sure I understand what your point is here. I'm not suggesting that Tierney doesn't play, I'm suggesting that he doesn't play right wing-back when that role entails him essentially playing as a winger on the wrong side of the pitch. He's on a different planet to Lyndon Dykes too but I doubt we'd be proposing that he plays centre-forward for us any time soon.

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure I understand what your point is here. I'm not suggesting that Tierney doesn't play, I'm suggesting that he doesn't play right wing-back when that role entails him essentially playing as a winger on the wrong side of the pitch. He's on a different planet to Lyndon Dykes too but I doubt we'd be proposing that he plays centre-forward for us any time soon.

He should play right wing back because that is where we are weakest. Not upfront, or centre back. We have other options. Better in comparison to O'Donnell and palmer.

10 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

He should play right wing back because that is where we are weakest. Not upfront, or centre back. We have other options. Better in comparison to O'Donnell and palmer.

Just because we're weakest there doesn't mean it's helpful to pick a player about as far out of position as possible in that role. You just end up still being weak in the right wing-back position but also weaker than you could be in the centre-back role.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Just because we're weakest there doesn't mean it's helpful to pick a player about as far out of position as possible in that role. You just end up still being weak in the right wing-back position but also weaker than you could be in the centre-back role.

Marshall was one of our best players in the last three games. However I think McLaughlin is a more than decent back-up - therefore maybe Marshall worth considering as right wing back? 

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It not as far out of position as you would get is it. If you think Tierney would be weak there fair enough, personally I think he would be excellent.

I don't think O'Donnell deserves to be dropped, nor do I think playing Tierney at right wing back gets the best of him, but I do hate how easily football fans accept that players have a weak side. If you're playing for Dumbarton fair enough but Tierney is a £25M footballer, playing in the best league in the world for one of the top clubs there. I'd be embarrassed if I couldn't kick the ball competently with both feet and was taking home the sort of money he is. There are amateur players who have trained themselves to play with both feet, it's not difficult and when you've got your afternoons free to do what you want I'd expect "kicking the ball with both feet" as a minimum for any professional footballer.

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

McLean an unused sub again today in the Championship whilst Cairney scores in the Premiership.

Grant Hanley in the side again today and Harry Souttar continues to cement his place in the Championship.

Looks like someone is being proved right about Souttar after all.....

Think there's a bit of a difference between starting a few games in the championship for Stoke. And being one of the best young defenders in the world. As was claimed.

Also he plays for Australia, why is he relevant?

Think there's a bit of a difference between starting a few games in the championship for Stoke. And being one of the best young defenders in the world. As was claimed.

Also he plays for Australia, why is he relevant?

because he should be playing for us not os , tho' they did give us Lyndon