Scotsport and Sportscene memories

Hi folks

Long time lurker first time poster.

The purpose of the thread is to discuss memories of games shown on Scotsport and Sportscene especially during the 1970’s and 1980’s.

Thanks mainly to the Aberdeen Evening Express, which is available online, I’ve managed to put together a fairly substantial list during lockdown of the matches covered by both BBC Scotland and STV from 1975 to 1990.

I’m happy to share my research so far if there is any interest.

In the meantime, is anyone able to recognise these commentators? Both matches were shown on Scotsport:

Hearts v Dundee in 1975

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5PvbnHupW8

Aberdeen v Hearts 1978

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CK4Ygmyhd4

7 hours ago, Woof Stramash said:

Hi folks

The purpose of the thread is to discuss memories of games shown on Scotsport and Sportscene especially during the 1970’s and 1980’s.

Thanks mainly to the Aberdeen Evening Express, which is available online, I’ve managed to put together a fairly substantial list during lockdown of the matches covered by both BBC Scotland and STV from 1975 to 1990.

In the meantime, is anyone able to recognise these commentators? Both matches were shown on Scotsport:

Hearts v Dundee in 1975

Aberdeen v Hearts 1978

Loads of interest from me in showing these matches from the 70’s particularly. But I have absolutely no idea who either of these commentators are. Great seeing these games. Gordon Strachan playing for Dundee and scoring.

12 hours ago, Woof Stramash said:

Hi folks

Hearts v Dundee in 1975

Aberdeen v Hearts 1978

When Dundee still thought they were a big team.

This one sticks in my mind. I was at the game, and good old Arthur was on with the highlights on the Sunday. I remember it for the bizarre reason that Arthur seemed to have a crystal ball as the sound was out of sync and he was about 2 secs ahead of the action. It seems fine on this clip though.

5 hours ago, The Mantis said:

This one sticks in my mind. I was at the game, and good old Arthur was on with the highlights on the Sunday. I remember it for the bizarre reason that Arthur seemed to have a crystal ball as the sound was out of sync and he was about 2 secs ahead of the action. It seems fine on this clip though.

Brilliant! And the Subway Loyal seem to have left even before the match started. What year was this?

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

They were relegated that season (albeit only on GD).

That was what finished Dundee. God only knows what the future would have held for Aberdeen or Dundee United if either of us had gone down instead of Dundee. Doesn’t bear thinking about.

16 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Brilliant! And the Subway Loyal seem to have left even before the match started. What year was this?

Feb 74. Att given as 15000. In those days before season tickets became common, attendances seemed to vary a lot. I was at a Rangers Hibs game that drew 73000 around the same time.

6 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Was that one of the times STV colour canera had been sent to Aye races?

No video probably exists but I remember two Airdrie away games, one to Arbroath and one at Hamilton being the only games to survive the weather and getting hurriedly arranged highlights broadcast.

3 hours ago, Silverton End said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3vTDds8BUDo&t=2s

If only we'd taken our chances 

Great stuff. These highlights were notable for a few things. Tackles flying in, fouls not given, players not writhing about in fake agony apart from Craig Levein, Walter Kidd getting some of his own medicine, Willie Johnston not standing on anyone’s throat. The only negative was the Dumbarton “goal” being disallowed because a player was simply standing in an offside position.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Great stuff. These highlights were notable for a few things. Tackles flying in, fouls not given, players not writhing about in fake agony apart from Craig Levein, Walter Kidd getting some of his own medicine, Willie Johnston not standing on anyone’s throat. The only negative was the Dumbarton “goal” being disallowed because a player was simply standing in an offside position.

Yes, halcyon days.

Blood & snotters, no quarter given.

22 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Yes, halcyon days.

Blood & snotters, no quarter given.

Talking about blood and snotters, I only made it to Boghead twice, in 1972 and 1974. On my first visit, on the way back to the station after the match, one of the guys I was with got a punch in the face from a Dumbarton fan, and in the depths of my memory it was on a wee bridge in a public park not far after leaving the ground. I could be totally mistaken about that though.

2 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

When did Sportsreel become Sportscene? My old man was still referring to it as Sportsreel for about two decades afterwards, having no knowledge of the foerunning show I thought he was just losing it a bit.

My guess, and it’s only really a guess, would be the early 70s.