James Forrest
Ryan Fraser
Lyndon Dykes
Leigh Griffiths
Kevin Nisbet/Lawrence Shankland

McBurnie can f**k off. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

• 1 month later...

I reckon you'll have Gilmour, Gauld and Turnbull knocking on the door if they keep playing the way they are. Kenny McLean is one midfielder who might drop out but I don't see Clarke leaving any of the others at home, so it'll be a tough call. I'd also be dropping Griffiths out the squad before McBurnie. 

Maybe one footballer say Gilmour at the back to launch it to them.  Line up like this

---------------------------Marshall

---------------------------Gilmour

Multiple murderer----Paranoid Schizophrenic----Crazed Male Rapist

Begbie--------ex SAS nutjob*----Bible John------Trevor from Eastenders

------------------Big Dunc------------Garry O'Connor

*https://www.scotsman.com/regions/scottish-ex-sas-soldier-who-used-toddler-weapon-jailed-91658

2 hours ago, G51 said:

If Turnbull gets called up, it'll be to backup McGinn I reckon.

Still needs to show a lot more before he's near consideration though - he's had two good games in about four months.

I think it will come a bit early for Turnbull, Gauld, and Hickey.  

The only player who hasn't played for the seniors who I could see being in the squad is Gilmour.

Also outside chance if someone like Adams or Caulker declares for us.  Other than that it will be players who have already played for us imo.

Maybe Gauld or Turnbull could feature for the seniors before the tournament in WC qualifiers, but they'd have to do amazing to get in the squad, and won't get enough game time to make that big an impact.

Of course a couple of injuries on the eve of the tournament, touch wood cause it would be terrible for players to miss that, could change everything if someone is in form.

I think a lot of the chat of "X or Y has to be in the squad" is ignoring the fact that it's a 23 man squad for the Euros when we're normally calling up 26 or 27 or something like that.

So we've already got several squad regulars who will have to drop out, even before we look at new players coming in.

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think a lot of the chat of "X or Y has to be in the squad" is ignoring the fact that it's a 23 man squad for the Euros when we're normally calling up 26 or 27 or something like that.

So we've already got several squad regulars who will have to drop out, even before we look at new players coming in.

Aye its very tight.  Its two teams with an extra keeper.  

Very easy to say two for every position, but that would leave only two strikers for a team that generally plays one. So you have to have at least three, and players who can play a couple of positions become important.  

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye its very tight.  Its two teams with an extra keeper.  

Very easy to say two for every position, but that would leave only two strikers for a team that generally plays one. So you have to have at least three, and players who can play a couple of positions become important.  

players like Armstrong, Tierney and McTominay are ideal for smaller squads. unfortunately for us that also probably means Paterson. 

48 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yeah thats a fair point. With that in mind I still think we will hopefully (depending on club appearances) see Gilmour in the squad. Hopefully in the team.

The one obvious benefit of the triple header in March is that it’ll be another 26/27-man squad, and so a few on the cusp might get a chance.

I’d like at least one of Gilmour, Turnbull, Hickey, and Gauld to get a call up (assuming all are playing for the next three months).

If we play a couple of friendlies in June, that’ll be 15 matches in 2021.  It’s not charity to look at a few more players, it’s going to be necessary.

Guaranteed picks for every squad this year (if fit, and no comment on my view of them): Marshall, McLaughlin, Gallagher, McTominay, Tierney, McKenna, Cooper, Robertson, O’Donnell, Palmer, McGinn, Armstrong, McLean, McGregor, Fraser, Jack, Forrest, Dykes, McBurnie, Christie (that’s 20, with 2 outfield, and 1 GK space available)

Other favourites of SSC and on the cusp: Fleck, Burke, Paterson, Considine, Taylor, Griffiths, Shankland, Gordon

Left field chances of a call-up/cap in 2021: McCrorie, Gilmour, Turnbull, Hickey, Nisbet, Gauld, Campbell, Johnston, McCrorie (GK), Ferguson, Hornby (roughly in that order)

Not sure there’s anyone to lay a claim outwith that list - at the Euros or a WC qualifier.  Not unless the right backs in Paterson and/or Ashby start playing every week, which is just not going to happen.  RB, GK, and CF are the positions most vulnerable to change.