Raith Rovers v Dunfermline Athletic

25 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Except when they are bleating to the government for more handouts because they are different and ‘the heart and soul of the community’.  

Yep, only a business when it suits them. At other times they’re a noble community club who act like some sort of charity.

Really looking forward to this but I'm worried we might get a bit of a doing from our near neighbours, we were outplayed at Inverness and the pars looked good against the jambos, the crosses into the box for them were excellent and I think we'll struggle to cope with that, we need our midfield to step up to the plate and our defence to have a solid game to have a chance, but I live in hope!, because I'm only paying £12 as a point of principle I'm only getting 85% of the stream, definitely hoping for no action in the last 12 minutes 🤪

Really looking forward to this but I'm worried we might get a bit of a doing from our near neighbours, we were outplayed at Inverness and the pars looked good against the jambos, the crosses into the box for them were excellent and I think we'll struggle to cope with that, we need our midfield to step up to the plate and our defence to have a solid game to have a chance, but I live in hope!, because I'm only paying £12 as a point of principle I'm only getting 85% of the stream, definitely hoping for no action in the last 12 minutes 🤪

Frankie and Bene need to have a stand out game if we’ve got any shot.

Could see us losing by a couple - free shot and these aren’t the games that are going to see us safely mid-table.

Just briefly detouring into the actual game itself...

I think Dunfermline should and will go into this as reasonably strong favourites. They've recruited well over the summer, started well and in the one game I saw them - the televised game with Hearts - they looked fairly impressive. The areas where Rovers fans would assess their team as strong - the middle of the park - is exactly where Dunfermline looked most impressive. I always liked Turner when he played for Stranraer and it looks like he's really grown into the championship. The guy from Celtic - McInroy? Looked very energetic, mobile and strong.

That's before you factor in Dom Thomas who looked a different class in open play, but it's his dead balls that really impressed me. If you can get the attacker running across his marker to the front post, it's hard to defend well - but you don't see it so often as you kinda have to drop the ball just over the first man at pace. It's quite a hard ball to get right, he just put it right where Murray could connect with ease. Looking back through the various highlights and it's easy to see him causing carnage with his corners and free kicks.

Mcmanus we know well enough. I still don't think he's a reliable double figure striker at this level (aside from the obvious certainty of him scoring on Saturday) but his real worth to the team is in holding the ball up, pressing defenders and generally dragging his side 10 yards further up the pitch. Dunfermline look to have enough willing runners behind him to make the most of his abilities. Something he never had at the Rovers at this level, and something he doesn't generally need a tier down where he can bully league 1 defenders into submission all day long without being forced wide.

By comparison, we just haven't looked at the races the last couple of games. At Inverness, they generally pressed us all over the park, forced mistakes and stopped us having time to think about it. When we did get some of the ball in forward areas, the crossing was abysmal, the corner taking horrendous. Ethan Ross drifted out of the game, and Armstrong was guilty of trying to do too much by himself. IN the middle of the park, Hendry gave away the ball when pressed in a dangerous area - something he's done before - and Tait looked totally off the pace of the game. In defence, Keiran MacDonald looked rusty, understandably so - Benedictus looked less than sharp, less understandingly so.

Obviously for us, Duku has received a fair amount of attention. Again, at Inverness, with less support he looked isolated and ICT were able to double up on him. Haivng said that I don't think his hold up play is that spectacular. His first touch is erratic and consequently, if he is isolated he genrally doesn't hold on to it long enough. He won't drag a team up by it's bootstraps.

That may be over sampling the negative impact of our last game. Regan Hendry is still a classy midfielder, and if we can make a bit of space for him, he can spray the ball about well. Tait, if he's on his game has shown a lot of promise, Duku for all that has scored a fair number of goals and is strong and fast and should pose questions for most defenders in this league. Yet I don't think we can play the 'better' teams with our same game plan and I don't think we've seen an alternative as yet. Maybe it does require either Lokotsch or Ugwu to play furthest advanced with Duku playing either side of an attacking trident: Substitute someone who is more of a winger, or inside forward type player for someone who is more direct - allow us to try and beat a press on our midfield by going over the top (as argricultural as that sounds)  - maybe play a flatter 3 behind that without an obvious advanced number 10 type player in the midfield.

In any event, it'll probably be Rovers first look at Ugwu - can't imagine he won't get some game time, finally. f**k knows what he is going to be like.

26 minutes ago, renton said:

In any event, it'll probably be Rovers first look at Ugwu - can't imagine he won't get some game time, finally. f**k knows what he is going to be like.

Hopefully the same player that played for us before he left. You look at his record at us and think, that's actually not bad at all. However, 5 of the 7 came against two utter fucking turd teams in Stirling (who finished bottom) and Airdrieonians in two separate games. 

Your assessment is a good one. Obviously Rovers have took a punt on a couple of players that are a bit unknown. As far as I can see, the boy Duku has impressed the most whilst the stalwarts from League 1 have been good on the step up from the seaside leagues. 

Without being condescending or high and mighty, I think our squad is just too good at the moment for the majority of this league, and, if it weren't for Hearts, I'd be confident of putting a title challenge in. We're on an extremely good run, almost cheating on Football Manager levels of good. We're surely on course to breaking our best start to a season ever? 

This game, no matter if we are miles ahead of Rovers or on even terms, it's always a tight one whenever we get a positive result. Any time we have lost at Starks, we've been well beaten without much of a fight. The wins, on the other hand, have usually been quite tight affairs. This won't be easy at all for us, but I'd be hopeful of picking up all 3 points. If we play like we did away to Ayr and Raith click they'll turn us over. We need to be switched on big time. 

Edited by DAFC.

The club have to put the prices up, in my opinion. Season ticket holders have paid £200, and if we aren't getting to games any time soon, it absolutely can't be the case that it would have worked out cheaper to just purchase the stream every week. 

Sorry Calderón but disagree completely, you buy the season ticket, like I have done also at your own risk. I think it's disgusting that we have put the price up for this game. Considering the fact the money we brought in through fans, some of which were not our own. Very poor show by the club.

Our last home league game was against Morton on 7th November. The next home game is on 29th December and people are moaning about 2 quid. 
I do wonder if it's more the Hearts game being moved back a month that's led to the price increase rather than it being against Dunfermline - it's a pretty big gap between games.

Still some wee teamers having massive blinkers on. If this game was priced at £14 and all your league games were the same price, I'd be purchasing it without question. The fact is that your club is trying to rip off Dunfermline fans for this game and a few of you are now trying to justify a lack of proper budgeting from your board. 

The other way round and the likes of you would be utterly up in arms and rightly so. I'd be pissed off too if my own club suddenly asked me to pay more for a game with absolutely no reasoning given (and if reasoning was given, it's likely to be piss poor). 

£2? No, it's literally a four figure sum assuming 500-4999 pars fans bought your feed. Anyways I'll be over on the Alloa v Ayr thread for the build up to the game I'm watching instead.

Our last home league game was against Morton on 7th November. The next home game is on 29th December and people are moaning about 2 quid. 

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Still some wee teamers having massive blinkers on. If this game was priced at £14 and all your league games were the same price, I'd be purchasing it without question. The fact is that your club is trying to rip off Dunfermline fans for this game and a few of you are now trying to justify a lack of proper budgeting from your board. 

The other way round and the likes of you would be utterly up in arms and rightly so. I'd be pissed off too if my own club suddenly asked me to pay more for a game with absolutely no reasoning given (and if reasoning was given, it's likely to be piss poor). 

As I said previously, you could understand it if it was in the flesh, what with stewarding, more staff probably having to work for the bigger crowd etc. It's a live stream, which won't be Sky Sports levels of HD either. If it was us, they'd be foaming at the mouth and their keyboard degrees in economics would be straight out declaring us "cheats" and the like. More faces than the ugly Kirkcaldy town clock.

9 minutes ago, Black and White Tragic said:

£2? No, it's literally a four figure sum assuming 500-4999 pars fans bought your feed. Anyways I'll be over on the Alloa v Ayr thread for the build up to the game I'm watching instead.

1o0o0 stREaM pURchAsEs!!!!!!!!!

42 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

It's £14 for the Rovers fans too.