Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, SpoonTon said:

Of course there are differences. Of course there will be major differences in the tactical challenges he will face. 

I know all about Ange as a manager. He's a bit of a character, and not exactly low profile in his role as Australia manager. He managed Erik Paartalu at Brisbane after he left Morton, so I was aware of him from then. His success in Asia is worth very little when translated over into what he will face over here. It's a massive risk because it's an incredibly different task he'll face. They play a very, very different type of football in Australia and Japan. Culturally, the dressing rooms are different. The pressure he would face would be nothing like what he's faced before. You can't take success as if it's in a vacuum, which can then be passed straight over. That's why these type of appointments nearly always fail. 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'they play a very, very different type of football'.

That's not really true anymore. Most teams play out from the back and press with high energy. Even some teams who really shouldn't. The way his teams play isn't really a big shift from what Celtic have been doing for the last few years. Really not sure where you're coming from there.

Explain how the dressing room is culturally different. I can't really see what you mean there. Do you think there's a huge difference between Australian sports people and British ones? Intrigued by that. Also intrigued by the idea that a guy who went to Japan and won a title with a struggling club in a totally alien culture would be unable to do so in his native language in a country much more culturally similar to his own.

Can you explain what you mean?

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuine plot twist, as there's rumours he might fail to get a work permit due to Brexit changing the criteria.

Orange/masonic conspiracy to keep the Irish down, imho.

4 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'they play a very, very different type of football'.

That's not really true anymore. Most teams play out from the back and press with high energy. Even some teams who really shouldn't. The way his teams play isn't really a big shift from what Celtic have been doing for the last few years. Really not sure where you're coming from there.

Explain how the dressing room is culturally different. I can't really see what you mean there. Do you think there's a huge difference between Australian sports people and British ones? Intrigued by that. Also intrigued by the idea that a guy who went to Japan and won a title with a struggling club in a totally alien culture would be unable to do so in his native language in a country much more culturally similar to his own.

Can you explain what you mean?

Yes. There is a big difference. I don't think there needs to be a massive explanation of that. 

Take Paartalu, who I mentioned above. Who thrived in Asia, first of all under Ange, after struggling to a large extent at a lower level in Scotland. Everything about the culture and style in Asia suited him better. 

The fact of the matter is that football in Asia hasn't come in over the last 20 years in world terms. It's still well behind. In it's own vacuum it looks ok, but it's still light-years behind. Which isn't to say that Scottish football is any good or any better, it's really not, but it is very different. In Asia, very generally speaking, they play a very low level of more technical European football, but that really didn't translate well into the challenges of managing at the top of Scottish football. 

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Yes. There is a big difference. I don't think there needs to be a massive explanation of that. 

Take Paartalu, who I mentioned above. Who thrived in Asia, first of all under Ange, after struggling to a large extent at a lower level in Scotland. Everything about the culture and style in Asia suited him better. 

The fact of the matter is that football in Asia hasn't come in over the last 20 years in world terms. It's still well behind. In it's own vacuum it looks ok, but it's still light-years behind. Which isn't to say that Scottish football is any good or any better, it's really not, but it is very different. In Asia, very generally speaking, they play a very low level of more technical European football, but that really didn't translate well into the challenges of managing at the top of Scottish football. 

So, no, you can't explain any of it then.

Ok.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Would Brexit have have any effect on an Australian coming to work in the UK ?

Why wouldn't it?

25 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:
Genuine plot twist, as there's rumours he might fail to get a work permit due to Brexit changing the criteria.

Would Brexit have have any effect on an Australian coming to work in the UK ?

Finite number of work permits available which are now required by people from 27 of our nearest neighbours. 

34 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's great to see the small mentality in full swing, Calum Davidson is a better manager than Slippy G,Tommy Wright and McInnes because hes won more trophies. 

Potentially he is.  I'd say he's already achieved more that Wright and McInnes in his first season. And I would have had him as manager of the year above SG.   Will he go one to  show that wasn't a fluke or will his career stagnate like McInnes or nose dive like Wright? Time will tell. I'm not saying he should be next Celtic manager, but he's probably done enough to get an English Championship gig, which right now Wright, Jack, McInnes have no chance off. SG would get one for sure and possibly a Premiership team. So on current ratings  

SG>CD>McI>TW 

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

If I'm honest I would say the J league is stronger than the SPFL 

14 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

That's why he'd be a good appointment the green Ugly Sister.

Marco Silva would be another. He's been a free agent since Everton sacked him.

The problem with that thinking is the blue cheek are pretty shit to (for evidence check their performance in two cups).  Remember a Tic side with Lennon at the helm cantered the league against them two seasons running before Lennon went into full melt down mode. 

He is not what we want but it’s who we are going to get by looks of it.

Don’t know enough about him to pass judgement however it’s a very underwhelming appointment. 

In saying that I do quite like the cut of his gib and how he talks about the game however that doesn’t mean he will be successful but those who know more of him seem to be talking him up a lot.

Its a Wim Jansen type appointment however if he can do what Wim did then he’s an instant legend but it’s a massive massive risk we are taking here but we have shot ourselves in the foot going all in for Howe as very few managers will be happy being the plan b

13 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Not really. For clarity, Graeme Sounness spent about the same amount of time in charge of Liverpool. He won an FA cup. 

Graeme Sounness wasn't a "big time" manager either. 

I think he was.