Thistle vs Dumbarton - December 5th

20 shots and no goals. Stats look liked you should have taken all three points. 

Fair play to Dumbarton, a good point for them but as a Jag you must be ruing the missed chances.

Looking forward to our game against Dumbarton next weekend. Hopefully we have Mitch back as missed him today.

The better Dumbarton teams of recent years have taken advantage when the bigger team is having an off day. This was not and was never going to be one of those days. I can’t argue with the job Duffy did keeping us up when he came in, this is getting stale now though.

7 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

We were absolutely battered there so a point should be seen as a positive as should us limiting Thistle to very few clear cut chances. We offered nothing going forward and that’s a big disappointment, entirely down to how Duffy set us up.

I can only assume Wilson was carrying a knock or something. 

It’s one of those where if we lose there, Duffy deserves pelters for setting us up that way (a la Aitken in the play-offs), but when it gets us a point you can’t argue.

(though saying that, at least Thistle are full-time and have a much bigger budget, so there’s some logic there. Unlike the 2017/18 playoffs where there was no excuse)

Edited by FifeSons

6 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

We were awful to watch and set up horrifically, but it’s hard to criticise Duffy too much when it gets us a point there.

Not sure I agree. It's a good point but our only attempt at goal was Forbes firing it over the bar from 30 yards. It's complete shitfest tactics. Thistle might be full time and expected to run over us but Duffy's parking the bus as if we're playing Rangers. There were times in that second half Thistle were there for the taking but the tactic is lump it long and regroup for the next attack. He needs criticised for our style of play regardless of it being a good point.

IMG-20201205-WA0013.jpg

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Not sure I agree. It's a good point but our only attempt at goal was Forbes firing it over the bar from 30 yards. It's complete shitfest tactics. Thistle might be full time and expected to run over us but Duffy's parking the bus as if we're playing Rangers. There were times in that second half Thistle were there for the taking but the tactic is lump it long and regroup for the next attack. He needs criticised for our style of play regardless of it being a good point.

IMG-20201205-WA0013.jpg

I basically agree and hate seeing us set up like that (as if we were playing a Rangers), but the result is ultimately the measure to judge by.

Two teams wanted to win that game, but only one believed they could; ironic then that it finished a draw. No doubt some Sons fans will read something into that point but in truth only the defence and possibly Wedderburn deserve a mention. Every game is now a siege on our goal to some extent, and it is brutal, truly brutal to watch. IMO Jim Duffy has thus far escaped criticism due to his reputation but I'm now questioning where we are headed under his management. Some players have come in for flak, but he cannot get a free ride much longer.
As for Thistle, one of these days, but I thought Cardle was at the centre of everything.

If Graham plays shite, as he did today, then we really are hopeless going forward.

That said, law of averages suggests one of the chances should have gone in. I'd pretty much resigned myself to 0-0 at best when the one the keeper sclaffed up in the air landed on the roof of the net. 

Over the two games vs East Fife and today Williamson and Cardle must have had about 40 crossing opportunities from the byline, maybe we could work on some kind of plan when that happens rather than just blindly hitting it at the near post. 

16 minutes ago, super-son said:
23 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:
I've been questioning his reliability in recent weeks. A few uneasy moments and questions of whether he could have done better once or twice. Just not convinced he is anywhere near the standard of Alan Martin (as he has been compared to). I do concede that he is our best option, even when Smith is fit and in the squad.

And then he goes and makes a fantastic save at the end there!

14 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Made a top save right at the death to save the point.

Correct. But he very nearly cost us earlier in the game. He needs to learn to catch the ball more often and when palming it away, not to push it straight into the danger area. He is a decent showstopper and is young so plenty of improving to do and I am sure he will develop into a good 'keeper.

1 minute ago, squeezeboxson said:

Correct. But he very nearly cost us earlier in the game. He needs to learn to catch the ball more often and when palming it away, not to push it straight into the danger area. He is a decent showstopper and is young so plenty of improving to do and I am sure he will develop into a good 'keeper.

True. We have much bigger concerns than him though IMO. Namely the eye-bleeding football we play and having absolutely nothing going forward.

5 minutes ago, GordyBrow said:

Langan for Frizzell was a real moment for me. Langan is a trier but we needed something going forwards, not an energetic midfielder.

Have to assume Wilson was carrying some kind of knock or illness but it definitely seemed a very strange one. I kinda expected Church to stay on the pitch as Rico has gone off injured in a couple of games recently and he would be the cover should that happen again.

1 minute ago, squeezeboxson said:

Have to assume Wilson was carrying some kind of knock or illness but it definitely seemed a very strange one. I kinda expected Church to stay on the pitch as Rico has gone off injured in a couple of games recently and he would be the cover should that happen again.

Don’t put him on the bench if you’re not prepared to use him. We’ve had smaller benches under Duffy many a time.