starting driving lessons (again).

Ylf

starting driving lessons again next week. after a break of about 5 years. tried to book my theory as well but everywhere is booked up solid till the end of april. how many lessons did you you take? fail theory? fail practical? pass first time

starting driving lessons again next week. after a break of about 5 years. tried to book my theory as well but everywhere is booked up solid till the end of april. how many lessons did you you take? fail theory? fail practical? pass first time
Took about 25. I was absolutely hopeless for the first 10 at least, thought about jacking it in many a time. Had about a month break after ahout 15 lessons due to illness and when I went back to it I was no bad at all, something had just clicked. Passed after 2 previous cancellations due to frost, never even had a lesson prior to my test which isnt normal, got 6 minors for daft things and passed first time. I thought the theory was a piece of piss if I'm honest.

All the best with it!

27 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I think I had about 30 lessons.

I got 100% on the theory first time and passed the practical test second time like all of the best drivers.

This is pretty much me.  There was a gap of about 15 years between the 1st and 2nd test mind you!  

23 lessons. Failed Theory and practical once each, the latter being a bit of a pisstake and my instructor apologised to me for being failed. The tester was a bit of a knob and failed me for going something like 44mph in a 50mph for a prolonged period (between circles on the Riverside) and held up 3 cars. 

Second test was a bloke from Newcastle the backlog was that bad and I genuinely think I could have mown down about 3 folk before he was sober enough to notice/fail me. My 'from instruction' part of the test where he stops you and gives you instruction to remember and follow was "straight ahead to roundabout, second exit.. That'll be straight on, then same again. Once to come to the third junction, it's straight on again". 

I think I had 15 lessons, plus some lessons with my dad (until I stopped in the middle of the roundabout on Alderman Road, told him to f**k off, and got out).

The theory test had just came in when I did mine and you could choose which order you did the tests in.  For the life of me I can't remember what I got, but I passed it anyway.

Failed my theory first time, passed the practical first time.

Had about 30 odd lessons I think, with 4 different instructors.

Haven’t driven once in the 4 years since I passed, and have no intention of doing so anytime soon so it was a really great use of time and money. Will almost certainly need refresher lessons if/when I need to start driving regularly.

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I think I had about 30 lessons.

I got 100% on the theory first time and passed the practical test second time like all of the best drivers.

My man 🤝

One thing I would say is that anyone who fails the theory test at first attempt should be refused a license. If you're too thick to pass the most basic of common sense tests then we shouldn't be letting you drive a metal box at speeds of up to 70mph.

I had 11 lessons and passed the theory first time.

Had my practical booked for a weekend in December and it got cancelled because of snow. Had to sit it a week later and it was still f*cking snowing. Ended up failing for some bullshit reason and passed on the second attempt.

Of the 12 lads I served my time with, I think half of us wrote off our cars during the four years of our apprenticeship.

2 hours ago, Ylf said:

As i said Ylf, I had a long gap between my 1st and 2nd test - about 15 years.  It was easier 2nd time around IMO.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I have never had a lesson. Think I will start. I'm 37

I didn't pass mine until I was 40. I'd take it easy, maybe a lesson a week over a fair period of time, and let it sink in gradually. I made the mistake of cramming as many lessons as I could as quickly as possible, and was stressed up to my eyeballs. Driving's a piece of pish when you don't have an instructor watching your every move.

I failed my theory test first time. Instructor had warned me about clicking too often during the hazard perception part, and the end result was that I didn't click enough (or so I assume). Passed it second time with no issues.

All rather pointless though as I was a terrible, reluctant driver, and after I changed jobs, I stopped taking lessons for a few weeks, which then became forever. Haven't driven at all in 12 years.

Regret it in hindsight as I'd paid for all the lessons etc. Should have tried to pass the practical, as although I was never that keen on driving, would be handy to have the license if needed.

Guest bernardblack

25 lessons.

Passed the practical first time but the theory took two attempts.

I hate driving though, anxiety is through the roof when I have to drive.

43 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

One thing I would say is that anyone who fails the theory test at first attempt should be refused a license. If you're too thick to pass the most basic of common sense tests then we shouldn't be letting you drive a metal box at speeds of up to 70mph.

I had a go at a practice one about a year ago and when and how to click was pretty poorly explained. Ended up not clicking enough/ clicking too much/ clicking too early then too late. 

It was obvious what the hazards were but clicking was a mess.