starting driving lessons (again).

Ylf

Maybe 25/30 lessons over two stints. Failed first time round and it was a good few years before trying again. Remember being annoyed at how rigid the ´looking in mirrors’ business was.

I get my own back now by NEVER looking in the mirror. It’s tremendously liberating and highly recommended.

I passed theory first time and practical second time.

I had two big strokes of luck in my second practical - one being that I went on the exact same route and had the same maneouvers as the first. The other being that my test guy was really fat, to the point that when I went into first or third gear my hand rubbed up against his moist leg.

I must have buttered him up.

I'm all brains and no common sense. I have a half-decent academic background etc. I cannot, however, change a plug or wallpaper (good idea for a thread? 'Tyre Kicking: things you can't do that hurts the ego').

As is consistent, I found the theory test to be an insult (I ate the tester's liver with some fava beans and a nice Budvar etc) and a waste of time.  However, I failed my practical test 3 (three) times.  In my defence, after loads of lessons and 3 fails with the same instructor I took an extended break from lessons (around 18 months) before going with someone with a much better local reputation.  She was shocked at what I had been taught (or not) by the BIG FAT PHONEY that preceded her.  That said, my performance in my 4th and final test was laughable. It was pissing down rain and freezing cold- terrible driving conditions. I was asked certain questions about some buttons in the car, and bits within the engine. I had no fuckin clue but I was only given one minor. The actual driving was no better. During the 'independent driving' segment, I found myself in the wrong lane, which filtered towards an indoor car park. The examiner was cool about it, checked my blindspot for me and told me to get into the next lane. Things didn't get much better. I approached a roundabout, had a look around, and made the decision to pull out. A car raced from my right (probably at a massive speed of 15mph) and I was committed to keep going, but by flooring it in first gear.  Sometimes I wake in the night with the sound of the engine screaming in my ears. I was certain I failed (again) when I got back to the test centre.  The examiner even said, "I would guess you've failed a few times".  He then passed me with a handful on minors.

I took my car for a spin into Glasgow City Centre that very night, coming back in the dark with only my sidelights on. 

I have gotten much better over the years though, I think.  

1 hour ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

I'm all brains and no common sense. I have a half-decent academic background etc. I cannot, however, change a plug or wallpaper (good idea for a thread? 'Tyre Kicking: things you can't do that hurts the ego').

As is consistent, I found the theory test to be an insult (I ate the tester's liver with some fava beans and a nice Budvar etc) and a waste of time.  However, I failed my practical test 3 (three) times.  In my defence, after loads of lessons and 3 fails with the same instructor I took an extended break from lessons (around 18 months) before going with someone with a much better local reputation.  She was shocked at what I had been taught (or not) by the BIG FAT PHONEY that preceded her.  That said, my performance in my 4th and final test was laughable. It was pissing down rain and freezing cold- terrible driving conditions. I was asked certain questions about some buttons in the car, and bits within the engine. I had no fuckin clue but I was only given one minor. The actual driving was no better. During the 'independent driving' segment, I found myself in the wrong lane, which filtered towards an indoor car park. The examiner was cool about it, checked my blindspot for me and told me to get into the next lane. Things didn't get much better. I approached a roundabout, had a look around, and made the decision to pull out. A car raced from my right (probably at a massive speed of 15mph) and I was committed to keep going, but by flooring it in first gear.  Sometimes I wake in the night with the sound of the engine screaming in my ears. I was certain I failed (again) when I got back to the test centre.  The examiner even said, "I would guess you've failed a few times".  He then passed me with a handful on minors.

I took my car for a spin into Glasgow City Centre that very night, coming back in the dark with only my sidelights on. 

I have gotten much better over the years though, I think.  

Tbf after I first passed I was a little bit iffy, definitely took me a bit of getting used to being all on your lonesome in a car - after a few weeks any fear pretty much dissipated as I got more and more comfortable; you're allowed to f**k up and be in the wrong lane or miss a turn from time to time, it's just a case of knowing how to avoid compounding it i.e. being in the wrong lane at a roundabout and just following it through to completion if you can't safely get into the right lane in time and working your way through it to get back on track with good lane discipline is fine, panicking and trying a wild u-turn or rushing a move into the right lane or something is probably not going to be such a good idea.

Stalling might be a nice example maybe - has been a few years since I've stalled I think but can remember getting easily flustered especially with a car sitting behind me (think my record on lessons was 3 stalls in a row...) If it happened now I'd just kinda shrug it off, worst case is maybe missing a green light and getting cursed at if there's someone behind me but that's all.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

No theory in my day but failed the practical 5 times. Waited until my late 20s to learn so was probably just over thinking things. Had lessons 1-4 and then I gave them up and just started going out with my pal regularly. That got me used to driving and finally passed. Never looked back since 

6 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

As is consistent, I found the theory test to be an insult (I ate the tester's liver with some fava beans and a nice Budvar etc) and a waste of time.  However, I failed my practical test 3 (three) times.  In my defence, after loads of lessons and 3 fails with the same instructor I took an extended break from lessons (around 18 months) before going with someone with a much better local reputation. 

TBH this is consonant with your posts - you're a smart cookie.

My take is that, if you fail your theory, you're an utter c**t who doesn't deserve to drive as it's as easy as pie.

I passed first time (in East Ham in nineteencanteen) and, of course, my three passed their theory but each failed their first practical - mainly down to nerves.

I've been six times to the test centre in Aylesbury (2x for 3 kids) and the difference between passing and failing is down to confidence.and awareness.

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

TBH this is consonant with your posts - you're a smart cookie.

My take is that, if you fail your theory, you're an utter c**t who doesn't deserve to drive as it's as easy as pie.

I passed first time (in East Ham in nineteencanteen) and, of course, my three passed their theory but each failed their first practical - mainly down to nerves.

I've been six times to the test centre in Aylesbury (2x for 3 kids) and the difference between passing and failing is down to confidence.and awareness.

That has a lot to do with it.

Driving a car (lorries and buses are a different kettle of fish) is one of the simplest things known to man. It really is just a matter of practice, from which comes the confidence and awareness.

Confidence and awareness are definitely a huge thing. Whenever I was in the car with my instructor I felt nervous about making any mistake. Nobody is a perfect driver though, regardless of what anyone tells you.
First thing I did when I got my first car was drive it on the motorway from Aberdeen to Fife, the week after went on a two week UK holiday to Loch Lomond, Lake District, Liverpool and York. Some time in the midst of that all the nerves fucked off.

As long as you don't do anything rash or act stupid, you'll be fine. Just watch your mirrors and learn to read the road ahead.

The theory was utterly stupid easy a few years back, anyone with a little bit of revision should scoosh it.

I passed first time despite nearly crashing the car as I took a corner too fast and it ran wide onto the snowy bank. I think the best bit of learning to drive was doing pass plus because you have to leave the vanilla roads and go more interesting places, I felt that that really helped my confidence.

Failed my theory test the first time, tried it in German and missed the pass mark by 1 point. Skooshed it the second time when I done it in English.

Passed my practical test first time, done that in German no bother at all. Think I took around 30 lessons all in.

I sat and failed a test when I was 17. Due to a lack of funds and my fondness for fun, I parked it for a bit. Got back round to it 21 years later. Failed my first theory by one sodding point on the hazard perception but put in a bit of practice on the laptop and scooshed it three weeks later. I then passed the practical with four minors and all that with the same instructor as I'd had in my teens. It's honestly changed my life. It gives you so much freedom that you can't get from travelling on public transport.

I started lessons last year and did about 15-20 lessons before I stopped due to work messing about with my hours and so not being able to get another regular lesson time. Passed the theory 1st time. 

I am thinking of trying again in the new year but considering just learning in an automatic car and getting an automatic license as it’ll be quicker and cheaper, since gears/clutch control were the issues left to be ironed out before taking my test. It’s not that much hassle to get an automatic car these days. 

Theory expires next July (though since I missed the best part of a year of potential lesson due to Covid, I don’t know if they’ll extend that period)  so time is short.

Edited by Jambomo

12 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

8 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

The theory was utterly stupid easy a few years back, anyone with a little bit of revision should scoosh it.

Sort of agree, can remember failing my theory once out of 3 times i sat it (iirc i passed it first time when i was 18ish, then stopped learning for a couple years, restarted and failed it first time after restarting lessons, since the theory had a fairly short time limit for expiry if you didn't pass the practical within a couple of years)

The bit that I managed to fail on was the hazard perception, clicked too often on the one question that was a double hazard which was worth double the marks so if you click to much you get a score of 0, as it was the double mark video it completely fucked me over for that test since you needed to pass the hazard perception and the multiple choice in order to pass it.

The multiple choice was straightforward every time from memory though, absolutely yeah.

51 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I am thinking of trying again in the new year but considering just learning in an automatic car and getting an automatic license as it’ll be quicker and cheaper, since gears/clutch control were the issues left to be ironed out before taking my test. It’s not that much hassle to get an automatic car these days. 

It's true that all cars will be automatic relatively soon as we move over to electric, but in the meantime they're a fair bit more expensive to buy and .about double to hire. Gears are dead easy when you don't have an instructor terrified you're going to ruin his clutch. If you have anyone who will let you drive around without hassling you too much you'll fairly quickly get to the stage where you stop thinking about the gear changes.

Edited by welshbairn

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's true that all cars will be automatic relatively soon as we move over to electric, but in the meantime they're a fair bit more expensive to buy and .about double to hire. Gears are dead easy when you don't have an instructor terrified you're going to ruin his clutch. If you have anyone who will let you drive around without hassling you too much you'll fairly quickly get to the stage where you stop thinking about the gear changes.

The problem is I don’t really have anyone to take me out in the car so only having 1 lesson a week doesn’t help. I was doing ok on gears but I couldn’t stop revving the f**k out of it by accident - I’m massively heavy-footed and it’s the first thing to go if I am anxious about it. I did so many wheel-spins you’d think I was some kind of spotty teenager out in his mums Ford Fiesta.

it doesn’t help that I am older and don’t actually like driving all that much, it’s a means to an end because I want to be able to go places that aren’t accessible by public transport for walking and swimming, so I just kind of want to get it done as quickly as I can.

My mum ha had an automatic Nissan Micra for years now and was talking of replacing it (no need really as it’s a great wee car). I might have the chance to buy it from her at a good price.

Edited by Jambomo

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

My mum ha had an automatic Nissan Micra for years now and was talking of replacing it (no need really as it’s a great wee car). I might have the chance to buy it from her at a good price.

I inherited one too, really reliable and last for ages. It was still fine when I had to sell it for a bigger car, but it was worth fuckall, don't let her chisel you! Worth getting her to value it, it's probably worth a lot less than she thinks. I hated every minute of driving lessons, the stress soon melts away when you get used to driving on your own.

Never had an out and out need to drive so never bothered my arse trying to get a license. I'm now planning to move out of the city so driving will become a necessity. I passed my G1 test (equivalent of the theory test) in August, I'd had been practicing using an app and right before I took my test was getting 100% so was pretty confident, of course when I did the real test there was a bunch of questions that were never on the app, got just enough questions right to pass. Ontario has a graduated license system so you have to wait a year (or 8 months if you take a classroom course) before sitting your G2 test which means you can drive on your own with restrictions, then you have to hold a G2 license a year before you can sit your G (full) license test.

Since we don't have a car at the moment I didn't see the point in jumping into lessons right after I passed then not being able to drive for a few months before my G1 test. So the plan is to start next month, I figure if I can learn to drive in the winter in the busiest city with some of the worst drivers in the Canada then driving anywhere should be a breeze!