starting driving lessons (again).

Ylf

I failed my first test for going at 60 on a national speed limit road like my instructor told me to, just because it was dark and raining and also for driving at 50 on a link road in third gear for about a minute. 

Passed my second test despite calling a bmw driver a fucking w****r for pulling in in front of me. 

I still do all of the above things. I'm a terrible driver and an accident waiting to happen, but it's all legal. 

Edited by coprolite

38 minutes ago, Markka said:

I failed my theory test first time. Instructor had warned me about clicking too often during the hazard perception part, and the end result was that I didn't click enough (or so I assume). Passed it second time with no issues.

All rather pointless though as I was a terrible, reluctant driver, and after I changed jobs, I stopped taking lessons for a few weeks, which then became forever. Haven't driven at all in 12 years.

Regret it in hindsight as I'd paid for all the lessons etc. Should have tried to pass the practical, as although I was never that keen on driving, would be handy to have the license if needed.

36 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

25 lessons.

Passed the practical first time but the theory took two attempts.

I hate driving though, anxiety is through the roof when I have to drive.

Exhibit A - Theory failed on first attempt, neither driver confident or comfortable...

26 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I had a go at a practice one about a year ago and when and how to click was pretty poorly explained. Ended up not clicking enough/ clicking too much/ clicking too early then too late. 

It was obvious what the hazards were but clicking was a mess.

Exhibit B - "Click when you see a hazard" not clear enough instruction. The prosecution rests. 

Thinking back I probably had about 3-4 lessons to start with before my old man made me drive him absolutely everywhere for about 3 months. Made me drive to school and all that shite or when he needed to go to the shop, drive him round for about half an hour for practice.  Couple of more lessons to correct any mistake then I was good to go.  I remember at the time getting the eyesight test wrong (blind as a fucking bat and nae specs on) but the examiner was a bit doolally and said that it was probably just nerves.  The test itself was tremendously easy as the daft old c**t made me drive to Lhanbryde and back, did a 3 pointer and a reverse and a bit of highway code and that was that. Pre-theory test days as well.

Pranged my Dads Uno about a month after passing my test mind you. 

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I failed my first test for going at 60 on a national speed limit road like my instructor told me to, just because it was dark and raining and also for driving at 50 on a link road in third gear for about a minute. 

Passed my second test despite calling a bmw driver a fucking w****r for pulling in in front of me. 

I still do all of the above things. I'm a terrible driver and an accident waiting to happen, but it's all legal. 

I failed twice for hesitation so on my final attempt I was determined not to, to the extent that I manoeuvred round someone practicing a 3 point turn without slowing down. Passed obviously. 

32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I failed twice for hesitation so on my final attempt I was determined not to, to the extent that I manoeuvred round someone practicing a 3 point turn without slowing down. Passed obviously. 

I did not know that hesitation was a fault outside of Just a Minute. 

Probably around 30 lessons.

Passed theory second time and practical first time (although I was probably lucky).

I actually really enjoyed my lessons - every Friday after school - even though I was shitting myself during every single one.

Passed when I was 18 never looked back since. Getting a car is one of the best things as a youngun. Nailed the theory and hazard but failed my first practical. Examiner had a pus on him that looked like he was raging having been pulled away from his game of Zelda or some shit. 

Driving isn't as scary as it seems at first. Most of it is being observant and muscle memory. Biggest challenge is dealing with the tools in their w****r wagons who treat their cars like an extension of their manhood. 

2 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Dunno what other people’s thoughts are on this but I now drive an automatic and definitely don’t want to go back to a manual. I quite often have to drive my gf’s (manual) motor and it’s shite. 

Me too, but I wouldn't recommend doing the automatic test if you're starting out, hiring an automatic costs double, and you might need to drive a manual for work.

I think I had about 6 lessons and a couple from my old man that turned into seething arguments. His personal bugbear was me occasionally looking at the gearstick to check where the gears were. I get his point that they are where the always are.  Once you have been driving for 30 years these things are second nature but he couldn’t understand it was difficult when you are just starting.

I now enjoy a bit of seething role reversal any time I try to show the auld c**t how to do anything on the computer.

Sat my test in mid-late 90’s so no theory test or any nonsense like that. If I remember correctly there were no traffic lights or anything complicated like that - I think the trickiest thing in the whole town was a small roundabout (circle) to negotiate. Quite lucky in that regard.

About 20 lessons & some with my old man. Reckon I was ready for my test sooner & the instructor I had was just rinsing me, but listened to him.

Passed theory/hazard awareness & practical 1st time. 3 minors.

ETA: Good Luck OP

Edited by Slenderman

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Me too, but I wouldn't recommend doing the automatic test if you're starting out, hiring an automatic costs double, and you might need to drive a manual for work.

Yeah absolutely.

I fucked up my practical test a couple of times before passing on the third attempt. One time a light came on the dashboard when I was getting in the car and the boy refused to start the test - that was £60 down the drain. I think I was 19 when I passed but I’d passed my theory when I was 17 and apparently it expires. This meant I had to redo my theory which was another £60 down the drain. On the second test I had some raging woman next to me screaming at the poor test centre attendant as she’d clicked too many times in the hazard perception and fucked it up. The boy was a wimpering mess and it was a bit of a distraction all round. 

failed the practical 3 times, was hopeless when I was about 17/18 and had first started.

Used to get given the cash for an hour lesson then once I was in the car ask the instructor if we could just do a half an hour instead, then pocket the difference for fags/booze (mum and dad were none the wiser). God I could be a sly wee fucker when I was younger, cringe thinking on it now.

Started again when I was in my early twenties, was far more ready to take it seriously - hour long lessons were definitely way better than just half an hour, since practically you could drive out further than on the shorter lessons and get experience on more road layouts than otherwise. Passed the theory easily enough, just did the multiple choice bits on the DVD for learning over and over again .

Did pass eventually, christ knows how many lessons I was on, lost count by the end!! Two different instructors, second one I learned markedly more from. Up to about 10 years no claims now too.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I had about 15 lessons and passed the theory and practical first time, practical had 4 minors if I remember right.

Examiner on the day was sound and I'd spent the few days before hand with various family and friends driving around the test routes so new them quite well.

With them only doing one maneuver now as part of the test, my instructor had said that if I was the last one called out the room I'd be doing the reverse park straigjt away as they'd not be able to guarantee I'd be able to it on the return and if this was the case it would then be a twenty minute drive about without any further worries and sure enough, last one called, reverse park nailed and a wee twenty minute drive about talking to the examiner about the fitba. Ideal.

Theory is an absolute synch. Full marks on the multiple choice, was the hazard perception that almost tripped me up. Ended up at about 25 lessons but was more than capable of driving after 18 odd.  Just couldn't find the right date.

Do yourself a favour and actually memorise some of the questions that could be asked on the day of the test unlike me. Also, familiarise yourself with window wiper levers etc.. again unlike me. Never rained on any of my lessons but pelted it down for my test. Was absolutely scunnered as to how to turn the window wipers on until I got lucky.

Passed 1st time at Shettleston after ca. 12 lessons plus some driving about with relatives. Was in 1985 so no theory test.

1990 moved to Germany and was able to get my licence "converted" to a German one without any need for a practical check, which seemed stranged considering driving on the other side of the road etc. 10 German Marks and send it to Flensburg (where the German equivalent of DVLA in Swansea is).

End of the 90's lived in Melbourne, had to take a test (albeit a much abridged one due to having a full licence). One 3-point turn, one reverse round a corner and a drive round the block.

2012 was posted to China for 2 years. Around that time the Chinese authorities had made the driving test much stricter than previously, with a lot of Chinese having extreme problems in passing the test. Did the theory test 4 times (3 are allowed as normal, after that an extra sum of money had to be paid). Pass-mark was something like 95%, iirc got 91, 94, 92, 93! All the questions on actual driving & first-aid were easy to answer, but the Chinese "theory" test contains a shit load of questions about penalty points and disposal of your car once it no longer qualifies for an environmental certificate etc. Ended up buying a pushbike.

Edited by German Jag

I went down the intensive route. Two five day blocks over two weeks. Was good and not much fannying around in industrial estates. My first lesson was Dundee to Dunkeld along the dual carriageway/A9 and back via Coupar Angus/Blairgowrie etc. 

Passed first time. No theory test back then.

3 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Used to get given the cash for an hour lesson then once I was in the car ask the instructor if we could just do a half an hour instead, then pocket the difference for fags/booze (mum and dad were none the wiser). God I could be a sly wee fucker when I was younger, cringe thinking on it now.

Genius. Feels like a huge opportunity missed for me.