Pars vs Lichties

I thought that Arbroath were the best organised team we’ve played against this season and reduced Thomas and Dow to nothing. 
TOB and Hamilton stopped us time after time. 
For us I thought Wilson was ok and Edwards did well under pressure a few times. Whittaker for all his experience looked off the pace due to just doing back maybe? McManus was our only real threat but was handed really well. Credit to Crawford for changing it and ultimately outsmarting Campbell. No easy task.

If only we could play to our full potential for 90 mins. Really need another striker or link up forward player. Michael Moffat type or a big bruiser to change things up. We can’t keep getting away with poor performances.

Folk keep saying we need another striker to 'link up the play', but what difference would another striker have made today, or indeed in our other games?

Anyway, Dick Campbell signed Stevie Crawford for us. Can't think of many more examples where, of the two guys in opposing dugouts, one was once signed by the other. Even rated must be when the home manager was once signed as a player by the away manager when the away manager was the manager of the home team!

Just think we lack options and if McManus gets suspended or injured then it could be tricky.

We definitely look short of ideas at times and someone to hold the ball up would work wonders. If McManus gets marked out the game then we look lost. Dow hasn’t really been able to open teams up this season. What would you suggest? Do you think we look ok upfront?

I think our link up play suffered more today with Turner playing deeper than normal,  he seemed to be asked to play there to help win the midfield. 
If you playing an extra striker that option is removed.  In the games that the deepest midfielders are controlling the game Dow, Thomas and Turner are a lot closer to mcmanus.  When we’re not controlling the midfield mcmanus ends up isolated.  

Wilson was our best player today. When he isn’t trying to play out of trouble as if he thinks he’s Iniesta, he usually plays very well. Turner was a class act as well.

Even game and a draw would have been the fairest result, but either team always looked capable of nicking a goal. Thankfully it was us.

Last 2 games have been more like us probably the best we have played this season but definitely what we have been used to seeing from an Arbroath team over the last 4 seasons good that Dick has finally let us off the leash and we are having a go at teams on the game today hard to take getting nothing from it but hopefully we have given ourselves belief that we CAN compete with the best in this league the worry obviously is that we can't score no matter how much we may be on top in a game hopefully something the manager can address or I fear this will be what keeps us in the bottom 2

If you told someone who didn’t know that Arbroath were top of the league they would have believed you. For large parts of the game we couldn’t get into any sort of rhythm. Dow was halved after a few seconds and Thomas didn’t get any time on the ball really. McManus didn’t get away with his barging because their defenders fell over at any touch. They completely cancelled us out but also attacked down the right really well.

Campbell knows what he’s doing and it’s insulting not to recognise how good they were, we weren’t great but I don’t think that was down to conditions and poor play, tactics. They will take points of the top four this season and finished above us last season despite a much smaller budget and part time training.

This is why I think Neilson is shit. We got behind hearts multiple times and had much more chances despite them having the budget of a top six premiership side. Arbroath might not be to everyone’s taste but they will hand out some serious telts this season.

Edited by D.A.F.C

Arbroath do not look like top-end challengers ffs. They are a sturdy team but totally toothless up front. We weren’t urgent at all yesterday, it’s perhaps a hangover from the couple previous leggy games. That, combined with Mayo and Watson clown-shoeing simple defensive duties, made us look worse than what we are. Still, 2nd place after the first round and only 1 defeat. You really cannot argue with that.

Craig Wighton only played 5 games for Arbroath and scored 3 goals ( in one of these games he came on as a sub) - he was a great addition to the squad, but in the context of last season, he only played a few games.

Hopefully in the January window we can add an on loan striker to the squad to allow for more competition up front.

Craig Wighton only played 5 games for Arbroath and scored 3 goals ( in one of these games he came on as a sub) - he was a great addition to the squad, but in the context of last season, he only played a few games.
Hopefully in the January window we can add an on loan striker to the squad to allow for more competition up front.

Those 3 goals won us 6 points. The difference between 5th and 8th. I’ll settle for 8th this season, although I think we’re better than that.

Fine margins. I know we've all been there but the shot that hit the post and some amazing balls into the 6 yard box second half nearly returned what I think would have been 3 points. Sometimes it goes for, sometimes against. I've no doubt Arbroath will stay up.

They need a good striker and a tricky winger type.
I wonder what campbell would achieve with a full time squad?
He did well with us years ago but he saw what Yorkston and Masterton were and they got rid of him unfairly.
Theres a funny story of him agreeing a fee with falkirk for David moss then yorkston declaring hes got a steal despite paying 50k-100k more.