St Johnstone vs Hamilton 30/12

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wotherspoon played in CM today, he could easily have been dropped for one of Davidson or Bryson. If we play wingers Conway (who creates the most chances in our squad), or MOH (player who created the best chances last season despite being poor) are options.

I’d have swapped Conway for Spoony today, or at a push Booth, but needed two cf’s on the park imo 

1 hour ago, akuram said:

I think that he has had enough time to sort our non scoring problems. Thank goodness we are not allowed in as four goals till now would have been dismal sitting in the cold.
Change the manager NOW before it’s too late.

Is it not transfer windows, (and possibly cash) you need to change the personnel upfront that is required?

The rest of your team isn’t that bad.

47 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

- the willingness to change shape to suit the requirements of the game

- some fire and passion on camera to reassure that he can motivate a dressing room

- substitutions at a time that will actually impact the direction of a game

- recruitment in January that recognises our problems, which to me is penalty box finisher first and foremost

There was a spell earlier in the season where we chasing games and he'd sacrifice a CB but it had little effect. Arguably out worst performance of the season was at Livingston where we started with a back four. I think the manager can definitely improve in-game but I think he is willing to make changes, although was slow with the subs today. That was your third point and one I agree with. Tommy Wright probably had that as a strength, making changes at the right time but we've just appointed a novices and there has to be some understanding of that IMO. 

My January concerns are boardroom based rather than the manager. I certainly won't overly judge him on his first window. But in terms of getting funds, are we left hoping that his quiet approach actually carries more favour with the chairman and KR than TW's tantrums? I suspect I'm grasping there... 

Playing to the gallery won't win us games. I think we'd probably see through it as fake if CD started to shout and get angry in interviews. There is no reason the players can't respect a quiet guy. 

40 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I keep hearing about how we've played well this season too...

We can't be in the territory where win equals play well, lose equals play badly as I know you far better than that. And at the risk of repeating conversations/arguments had elsewhere, how many times this season would you say the opposition have played better than us? I don't buy this "they just let us have the ball stuff" either. There have been bad decisions in games etc... but nobody IMO can claim we've played poorly over the course of the season. Certainly ion comparison to August to December last season where largely we were shite. 

That does make me worry about your latter point though, if we can't pick up points playing well, what'll happen of we play badly. Maybe the manager should ask Tommy Wright about that... 

Can see it from most posts but as a straw poll, are fans glass half-full or half-empty at the moment? 

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Take Spoony out of that starting line up today and replace him with Bryson or Davidson and there's even less creativity.

You'd have an actual aerial threat with Davidson though.

How many chances did Wotherspoon set up tonight?

Genuine question.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You'd have an actual aerial threat with Davidson though.

How many chances did Wotherspoon set up tonight?

Genuine question.

He put an absolutely wicked ball right on May's head that only needed a tiny touch. 

Other than finishing, I wouldn't find fault in any player today. You can't possibly say we didn't create chances when we had 30 shots at goal. Under Tommy Wright, 30 shots a month would be a good return.

If Stevie May puts away a chance then folk are raving about his performance... 

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

Other than finishing, I wouldn't find fault in any player today. You can't possibly say we didn't create chances when we had 30 shots at goal. Under Tommy Wright, 30 shots a month would be a good return.

Exactly this. Also, what May did today is exactly what Steven Maclean used to do when he was getting pissed off in a game - I used to get so frustrated at him taking throw ins on the half way line and stuff because he was miles away from the goal.

@RandomGuy - you may well have this. What’s our total xG for our home league games so far this season? It may well be down on last season and obviously is as you’ve stated for individual players, but it’s also obviously far higher than the four league goals we’ve scored.

I agree with Radford. If we were doing what Motherwell/Accies/County (until tonight) have been doing lately and just getting pumped and dominated in games then I’d be in full panic mode. But we’re clearly not.

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

Is that a good thing, though?

Hes not scored an open play goal in over 2 months, and has only scored an open play goal in 2 separate matches this season. To me hes our main goal threat by a fair distance, since Hendry is imploding this season.

If you mark out an area between the six yard "lines", and between the penalty spot and goal, you'll see all but one of his league goals since 16/17 have come from there, yet since mid-October hes had 2 shots in that area. The header tonight, and I believe a blocked shot v Livingston.

Thats surely a massive worry that needs addressed if hes our main goal threat?

Kane’s all round game has improved massively but I just never feel like he’s vaguely a goal threat. May’s all round game is better and if we could get him in the right positions more frequently he’ll score far more than Kane. I personally wouldn’t play them together. I’d give Hendry a run of games personally, or give Melamed a couple of games to see if he’s worth keeping. If neither of those are good options then two of the three other than May need to be shipped out and new bodies brought in.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is that a good thing, though?

You know I like a lot of this stuff and certainly have an interest in the stuff you do but as much as we can talk about areas, Stevie May should be scoring when he's had 7 shots in a match. I know that's very against all you beleive in but SEVEN shots from one player... 

2 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:
4 minutes ago, Radford said:
[mention=54832]perthsaint1977[/mention] Is there any word from inside the camp on Melamed? Is he just totally rubbish? 

Erm well.... All that I've heard is that it will take him a long time to adjust...

I kind of felt sorry for him with his first games being in the hurricane at Peterhead then at Easter Road in more shitty weather 😂 it must be quite a culture shock.

2 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:
4 minutes ago, Radford said:

Erm well... All that I've heard is that it will take him a long time to adjust...

I suspect he has a couple of days before the world is alerted to his availability then... 

On Kane, I think it is forgotten that he scored for absolute fun in the U20 league and had good success at Dumbarton. Its funny how a player that did have a goalscorer's instinct can appear to lose it so much. It is positive that he appears a bit more appreciated these days though. 

1 minute ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

@RandomGuy - you may well have this. What’s our total xG for our home league games so far this season? It may well be down on last season and obviously is as you’ve stated for individual players, but it’s also obviously far higher than the four league goals we’ve scored.

Doesn't include tonight. Totals for home league games are...

20/21 non-pen xG: 9.58 (0.96 per90) - *2.71 comes from game against St Mirren

19/20 non-pen xG: 19.3 (1.2 per90)

Thats what I get.

I suspect he has a couple of days before the world is alerted to his availability then... 
On Kane, I think it is forgotten that he scored for absolute fun in the U20 league and had good success at Dumbarton. Its funny how a player that did have a goalscorer's instinct can appear to lose it so much. It is positive that he appears a bit more appreciated these days though. 
Similar to our esteemed Estonian CB I feel....

34 minutes ago, Radford said:

We can't be in the territory where win equals play well, lose equals play badly as I know you far better than that. And at the risk of repeating conversations/arguments had elsewhere, how many times this season would you say the opposition have played better than us? 

I think that's exactly the territory we are in at the moment I'm afraid.  We're in a scrap at the bottom of the league, points over performances all day long for now.  I can't believe we're going to persevere with the "playing well, just unlucky.  Our luck will change" narrative. 

27 minutes ago, Radford said:

You know I like a lot of this stuff and certainly have an interest in the stuff you do but as much as we can talk about areas, Stevie May should be scoring when he's had 7 shots in a match. I know that's very against all you beleive in but SEVEN shots from one player... 

One chance between the penalty spot and 6 yard box will have a xG about 3/4 times higher than an effort on the edge of the box...

May hasn't scored beyond 12 yards for 5 seasons, yet 6/7 shots today came well beyond that, with 4 beyond 22 yards. His only chance within 12 yards was the header. Shot positions taken from WhoScored, as I probably missed most during the actual game, so apologies if I'm wrong.

Its just crazy to me that our main striker is both doing things like that, and seemingly being instructed to be doing things like that, when we're struggling for goals. Its just a waste all round.

I'd add that long range shots are necessary, and they can get you goals, but history suggests May won't score this way. I'd rather he was in a central area waiting for rebounds/goalkeeper spilling it, then being the one 20 yards from goal shooting, as it gives him, and us, far more chance of a goal.

Edited by RandomGuy.