Elliot Anderson

Erih Shtrep

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Plus joined-up thinking about the age groups and how to keep the talent flowing for the next few tournaments.

SSC, utter shagger.

Reminds me of when Gordon Strachan said he didn’t watch the Under 21s.   

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

Anderson and Doak both natural wingers, something we don't have a great abundance of at the moment (Christie, Armstrong and McGinn all spend time in wide roles for Scotland but all most comfortable playing more central roles, especially McGinn. Lewis Ferguson also more of a number 10 imo). I think they'll be fantastic options for us, especially if we are struggling to break down a low block. Anderson clearly ahead of Doak at the moment in Clarke's mind which makes sense to me given he's three years older and has 47 senior appearances to Doak's 5.

Admittedly I've only seen Anderson play a few times, but on none of these occasions was he playing as a winger - he was playing centre midfield.

Nothing like Christie either from what I've seen.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Reminds me of when Gordon Strachan said he didn’t watch the Under 21s.   

Strachan literally stepped in and coached them during an international break where we had no senior game, with Andy Robertson also dropping down to play.

He subsequently called up several players from that squad into the full squad (Jack Hamilton, Callum Paterson, John McGinn, Barrie McKay at the very least).

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

ando.thumb.png.c2ea57481975ced5c6fc84595efccd1c.png

Fucking hell

I’ve not really paid too much attention to him when he has came on for Newcastle, as assumed he was going to play for England but I’ll be watching with interest now. Scary potential! 

I imagine he’ll get a good few starts in the league this season too. 

6 hours ago, velo army said:

I don't know the first thing about Anderson. Who is he most like out of our existing midfielders?

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Admittedly I've only seen Anderson play a few times, but on none of these occasions was he playing as a winger - he was playing centre midfield.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

ando.thumb.png.c2ea57481975ced5c6fc84595efccd1c.png

Fucking hell

He does seem to have been used deeper and more centrally for Newcastle, but I saw him play against Carlisle whilst he was at Bristol Rovers. He was the best player on the park, a buzzy skillful attacker either coming in from wide left or behind the striker and causing havoc. Created a number of chances, had a great shot just wide and one off the bar if I remember rightly.

The Bristol Rovers fans, as well as the ones who'd travelled through from Newcastle to watch him, were singing his nickname name all game - "The Geordie Maradona!" Not sure if that helps answer Velo's question, but may help get you excited!

I don't watch the Premier League so know nothing of Anderson. Also, this has probably already been commented by someone in this thread but in case not:

It's testament to the brilliant job Clarke has done that Anderson has chosen Scotland. Some credit to McTominay too, he bucked the trend of dual eligibility players only selecting Scotland once they realised their England chances were over. His example can now be pointed to when moves are made to persuade young players like Anderson.

It's excellent news, and testament to how high the national team are flying these days - comfortably our best team since the 90s and maybe even beyond.

England internationals, whilst donating their national fees, significantly increase their sponsorship income - McTominay would undoubtedly have 20+ caps and Anderson would have been on the cusp of the team.

Great they have both selected us, they are professionals and it does seem to be opposed to their financial interest so we must be offering a great upside (team spirit, development, importance to the team etc.).

Won't be counting my chickens just yet though until he has fulfilled the criteria to not to go elsewhere, but he's the most positive confirmation we have had since McDominate.

Edited by SH Panda

He’s a quiet person, not really loud within the group, but he’s got this steel in him - this determination that strikes you straight away. He’s very, very ambitious and he believes in himself. Elliot’s got extraordinary talent. He’s not lightning quick. He can run, but it’s his body movement and confidence taking the ball in tight situations. He sees a pass, he scores a goal. He’s had to work his way up from the academy. Elliot was our best player in pre-season. That he was ahead of some stellar names was quite something. He has special qualities. Elliot could definitely be a big player for Scotland. I don’t think it’s too soon for him, mentally. Elliot can handle international football. He won’t be fazed. 

Eddie Howe

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/11155623/elliot-anderson-extraordinary-talent-scotland-newcastle-eddie-howe/

I’m very pleased that he is committed. I don’t think it was such a difficult decision for him in the end. He knows we value him and how much we want him to be part of the squad. He’s an attacking midfield player who can bring attacking options. I always like to have an element of the squad that can be part of the future and Elliot is one for now and the future. We are showing there is a pathway through for the young boys and there is a chance to come through and play for the national team. I think it’s more important that he’s in the group and gets to know the quality we have in the group. He’ll start to learn the standards that we want and the way we want the team to play. If he can get minutes on the pitch then great. If it’s not and it is still a successful camp then he learns from being within the camp, so that’s also good.

We’ve had good conversations and I know how much he wants to be involved with the squad, which is great. He is doing well with his club, which is obviously a difficult first team to break into, but he’s utilised often off the bench and had a fantastic pre-season. I think he’s in a really good place, so it’s a good time to bring him into the squad. He hasn’t had a change of allegiance. He went to an England training camp and then played for Scotland Under 21s. You get to a certain age when he has a choice between Scotland and England. You have to weigh up what you want to do. He took his time to weigh it up and he has come down on our side. I’m pretty pleased about it.

Steve Clarke

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23752057.scotland-manager-unfazed-fifa-rule-international-allegiances/

Edited by 2426255

On 28/08/2023 at 15:35, velo army said:

I don't know the first thing about Anderson. Who is he most like out of our existing midfielders?

Same. I'd never even heard of him until the other day.

Having read the article now it sounds like he picked up an injury in training and Clarke thought it wouldn’t be a great idea to have him take a five hour flight which might worsen the injury so he’s gone back to Newcastle for treatment.

The article is completely sensationalist because there’s no evidence in there that he’s considering going back on his word and playing for England, the use of the word “quits” in the title seems hyperbolic when he’s withdrawn through injury, and most laughably of all the article states that he “claimed” to have been injured in training which to me reads like the record don’t believe he’s actually injured. 

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Having read the article now it sounds like he picked up an injury in training and Clarke thought it wouldn’t be a great idea to have him take a five hour flight which might worsen the injury so he’s gone back to Newcastle for treatment.

The article is completely sensationalist because there’s no evidence in there that he’s considering going back on his word and playing for England, the use of the word “quits” in the title seems hyperbolic when he’s withdrawn through injury, and most laughably of all the article states that he “claimed” to have been injured in training which to me reads like the record don’t believe he’s actually injured. 

I mean, it’s the Daily Record. Are you really surprised?