Folk should stop using the term 'Fake news'

47 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You must find it terribly unfair that he's still on his first account and you're probably already banned yet again.

I find it an unacceptable term to use to other forum members.   

But I agree with the OP that 'fake news is chronic chat.  

17 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

I find it an unacceptable term to use to other forum members.   

But I agree with the OP that 'fake news is chronic chat.  

I suppose that the handy thing about having a new account for each post is that you can feel quite confident nobody will find examples of you doing the same thing. Well played.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I suppose that the handy thing about having a new account for each post is that you can feel quite confident nobody will find examples of you doing the same thing. Well played.

I only created a new account through necessity.   It's certainly not my intention to get banned, and I don't ever post anything offensive or edgy.  I certainly wouldn't call another poster scum.  Tbh  I don't know why you're hounding me like you've some Daily Record exclusive.   Yes, I was previously banned, but I'd asked a moderator if I could return and post in my usual non-offensive manner and they were supportive.   Listen, If I post something racist, homophobic or suchlike then I'll be rightly banned.  I just don't do this, I never have.   I only asked for a level playing field for the first time since 2008 and it appears it's been granted.    

Hope this clears things up for you, cheers.  

4 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

I only created a new account through necessity.   It's certainly not my intention to get banned, and I don't ever post anything offensive or edgy.  I certainly wouldn't call another poster scum.  Tbh  I don't know why you're hounding me like you've some Daily Record exclusive.   Yes, I was previously banned, but I'd asked a moderator if I could return and post in my usual non-offensive manner and they were supportive.   Listen, If I post something racist, homophobic or suchlike then I'll be rightly banned.  I just don't do this, I never have.   I only asked for a level playing field for the first time since 2008 and it appears it's been granted.    

Hope this clears things up for you, cheers.  

So why have you been banned, literally dozens of times?

Don't worry, I don't intend to hound you by, say, following you from thread to thread making the same tired, hypocritical point over and over again. That's the kind of shit that gets posters banned.

I am sure the repeated banning of PB is some sort of game the mods play*

Dont think I have ever seen him posting anything ban worthy, and as far as multi account shitposters go, we still have Pep blundering around the place.

*apologies to the mods if this is fake news

Fake news is actually quite a serious thing across social media platforms. I suppose if you want to call it something else then fine but it is a thing.

Donald Trump  saying fake news to any story about him is derided by folk who have half a brain and lapped up by those who lap it up when he says the election was a fraud. I'm not sure it's a reason to discard the term altogether.

Albeit it's become another overused pish social media term that can be filed alongside snowflake, SJW and yes...gammon.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Fake news is actually quite a serious thing across social media platforms. I suppose if you want to call it something else then fine but it is a thing.

Donald Trump  saying fake news to any story about him is derided by folk who have half a brain and lapped up by those who lap it up when he says the election was a fraud. I'm not sure it's a reason to discard the term altogether.

Albeit it's become another overused pish social media term that can be filed alongside snowflake, SJW and yes...gammon.

I mean it's disinformation, but then even evoking fake news can be disinformation in and of itself. The problem of course is that social media has polarized opinion and undermined mainstream media; characterized by social media as constant editorial. It's a facet of social media, I mean while there is media framing (such as say the Independent vs a Daily Mail article on the same subject), the pish you see on social media that gets propagated by an audience increasingly consuming for their own confirmation bias, fake news is just another one of those terms used to undermine mainstream media in much the same way virtue signalling is used to undermine certain movements.

12 minutes ago, amidst-tundra said:

I mean it's disinformation, but then even evoking fake news can be disinformation in and of itself. The problem of course is that social media has polarized opinion and undermined mainstream media; characterized by social media as constant editorial. It's a facet of social media, I mean while there is media framing (such as say the Independent vs a Daily Mail article on the same subject), the pish you see on social media that gets propagated by an audience increasingly consuming for their own confirmation bias, fake news is just another one of those terms used to undermine mainstream media in much the same way virtue signalling is used to undermine certain movements.

So essentially it's all bollocks. P&B is the only social media I have for this very reason. I can't be arsed with any of it.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

So essentially it's all bollocks. P&B is the only social media I have for this very reason. I can't be arsed with any of it.

I've been considering deleting FB since the Brexit referendum. I'm beginning to realize a number of people I knew are c***s and I'm sure I appear the same to them. Problem I have is I work away from home six months a year, but truth be told I tend to find social media just leaves me generally depressed at the state of humanity.

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

It should never have been normalised. It's now used as both a propaganda tool to try to discredit/deligitimise things that people don't like, or more accurately don't agree with, and as a catch all term for outright lies, making the lies seem more palatable or at least the act of lying seem not as bad.

Worse, it gives undeserved legitimacy to the scum who created it.

Folk may disagree but language is important, and this sort of nonsense is harmful to the credibility of so many people and sources, although it is handy in being a further way to identify horrible people.

You are spot on.

Every week without fail we'll have weirdos commenting on the paper I work for's Facebook page with 'FAKE NEWS' when there's literally facts right in front of their eyes. It's been especially the case with Covid stories since the summer.

We'll put up the update on numbers locally and all the anti-vaxxers, conspiracy theorists and general nutjobs will coming tearing over to tell us that the cases, deaths or virus is 'FAKE NEWS' (normally followed by a link to some dodgy far-right website).

'Fake news' is a lie. If someone puts out a story that is a lie then call them out for lying. Just like people used to do.

Saying 'Fake news' when people see a story they don't like is extremely dangerous. As shown with the amount of folk falling into the conspiracy theories about Covid being a Bill Gates masterstroke or something.