Livingston v St Mirren League Cup Semi 24/1/21

Lex

This is our biggest game since 2013 in my opinion. I know some people would say the several promotion and relegation deciders we’ve had since were more important, but not for me.
League positions come and go, we go up and down, c’est la vie.
Where the real legends are made for clubs like ours - who aren’t going to win the top flight - are in the cups.
By all accounts, our team of the early 80’s was a much better side than the cup winning team of 87. We finished third and were close to winning the Premier Division in 1980. They won nothing though, so they aren’t remembered with anything like the fondness of the 87 cup winning team who finished 7th or the 2013 cup winning team who finished 11th. There’s no open top bus for having a decent season in the league.
It’s been eight years since we had a chance like this and it could be another eight years till we’re here again, it’s been even longer for Livi. They don’t come around often so we need to take them when they do.

6 hours ago, Torfason said:

Really looking forward to this, got my 2013 @pozbaird top ready to go, only thing missing is a massive kick in the stones from Saints 😛

What could possibly go wrong? 

Nothing can possibly go wrong. Well, the sponsor logo could peel off, should you fail to turn the shirt inside-out and only ever give it a gentle hand wash in no more than warm water.... but that’s another story.....

The one thing that will annoy me to my dying day about this glorious moment (in regard to the strip), is Paul Dummett. I wish he hadn’t felt the need to put his shirt on back-to-front. Just something that bugs me when I see it.

E62F79E9-E94A-4505-825F-392EB3D32616.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Lex said:

This is our biggest game since 2013 in my opinion. I know some people would say the several promotion and relegation deciders we’ve had since were more important, but not for me.
Where the real legends are made for clubs like ours - who aren’t going to win the top flight - are in the cups.
By all accounts, our team of the early 80’s was a much better side than the cup winning team of 87. We finished third and were close to winning the Premier Division in 1980. They won nothing though, so they aren’t remembered with anything like the fondness of the 87 cup winning team who finished 7th or the 2013 cup winning team who finished 11th. There’s no open top bus for having a decent season in the league.
It’s been eight years since we had a chance like this and it could be another eight years till we’re here again, it’s been even longer for Livi. They don’t come around often so we need to take them when they do.

Experienced head Kirk Broadfoot says St Mirren is where he always wanted to  end his career - Daily Record

1 hour ago, Lex said:

By all accounts, our team of the early 80’s was a much better side than the cup winning team of 87. We finished third and were close to winning the Premier Division in 1980. They won nothing though...

They were the only Scottish team to win the Anglo-Scottish Cup.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

This is spot on. I’d take a major honour and a bottom half league finish. Even if we surpassed our 3rd place it’s still a way short of competition win. 

1 hour ago, ulysses said:

If Erwin starts, we riot.

100%, this game is made for Obika. He has an impeccable record at Hampden. He has to start. I think Goodwin will plump for but hope we don't have the Mason/Tait combination down the left, Durmus and one of Tait or Mason instead please. 

100%, this game is made for Obika. He has an impeccable record at Hampden. He has to start. I think Goodwin will plump for but hope we don't have the Mason/Tait combination down the left, Durmus and one of Tait or Mason instead please. 

Yep, agreed. Not sure who I’d play in place of JDH, but the front four should be:

Connolly McGrath Durmus

Obika

But I have a feeling Goody will plump with two strikers, probably Erwin and Brophy, which would be a big mistake in my opinion.

I can't remember us being in a semi final against Dunfermline, was at Hampden for our first LC semi against Hibs where we lost, and the SC semi against Celtic where we lost again, and Easter rd for our LC semi against Dundee, then Hampden final win against Hibs, but have no recollection of playing Dunfermline in a semi final. The pain of those seasons after we win the cup and finally being relegated must've damaged me more than i thought. Although i still clearly remember us drawing with Dundee in the last game of the season to relegate them, and a Dundee wifie fighting with a Livi wifie in the row in front of me, before the Dundee wifie got huckled away by the stewards.🤣

Anyways, getting butterflies in my stomach now, nervously excited about this game. Mon the Lions.🦁

No. Bristol City were a top division side when we beat them in the final. Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell etc all failed to win it. 

What was the criteria for entering it? Looking at the year we won it just seems to be a random collection of English and Scottish sides. I never felt it was regarded as a major trophy.

I can't remember us being in a semi final against Dunfermline, was at Hampden for our first LC semi against Hibs where we lost, and the SC semi against Celtic where we lost again, and Easter rd for our LC semi against Dundee, then Hampden final win against Hibs, but have no recollection of playing Dunfermline in a semi final. The pain of those seasons after we win the cup and finally being relegated must've damaged me more than i thought. Although i still clearly remember us drawing with Dundee in the last game of the season to relegate them, and a Dundee wifie fighting with a Livi wifie in the row in front of me, before the Dundee wifie got huckled away by the stewards.🤣

Anyways, getting butterflies in my stomach now, nervously excited about this game. Mon the Lions.[emoji881]

Was at Easter Road.

IMG_4548.jpg

43 minutes ago, Lex said:

What was the criteria for entering it? Looking at the year we won it just seems to be a random collection of English and Scottish sides. I never felt it was regarded as a major trophy.

It was a good tournament at the time though. In my daft youth - travelled down to Nottingham and back the same night for a midweek Anglo Scottish Cup game away to Notts County. I must have been mad.

Would like to see Foley start today, especially the Foley from last season. Skybet showing their ignorance by having Sheron as lowest priced saints player to be booked at 11/5. That is a fucking frightening thought. Shaughnessy at 9/2 looks more realistic.

1 minute ago, monthelie' said:

Would like to see Foley start today, especially the Foley from last season. Skybet showing their ignorance by having Sheron as lowest priced saints player to be booked at 11/5. That is a fucking frightening thought. Shaughnessy at 9/2 looks more realistic.

I ran through every combo of Saints midfielders and formations I could think of the other day and failed to remember Sheron at any point.

I really wish we'd given Foley some more game time in the past few weeks; this the most apprehensive I've been over a selection for a very long time.