The Psych/Garage Thread

Jimi Shandrix

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fuzzydunlop said:

big fan of garage/psych..got a decent collections of 7"s and Dj at a few nights.

Prob my all time fave, and one of my fave guitar solos ever:

Cannot be bothered googling and , unfortunately , never bought Rock Family Trees

Squires - Neil Young , or some other to be rock hero ?

13 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Cannot be bothered googling and , unfortunately , never bought Rock Family Trees

Squires - Neil Young , or some other to be rock hero ?

different Squires i think. Dont think any of these went on to do anything else in music.

However its amazing the amount of famous 70s/80s rock 'stars' that were in garage Bands.  Steven Tyler from Aerosmith was in one who were really great, or had a really great single anyway...i think he mightve been the drummer...tired head isnt letting me remember their name....

3 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

different Squires i think. Dont think any of these went on to do anything else in music.

However its amazing the amount of famous 70s/80s rock 'stars' that were in garage Bands.  Steven Tyler from Aerosmith was in one who were really great, or had a really great single anyway...i think he mightve been the drummer...tired head isnt letting me remember their name....

Chain Reaction.  

The is the kind of music I’m getting into these days so I think I’ll be making my way through the tunes posted on this thread.

Was listening to the Brian Jonestown Massacre - Take It To The Man today, really enjoyed that album.

Also discovered the Rose City Band and Wooden Shjips recently as well. Good stuff.

1966 was, IMO, the best ever year for music and this Dutch group put out one of my favourite singles from that year.  Great guitar work from Jan Akkermann who later had success in the Prog group Focus.

The so called 'Nederbeat' scene of the mid to late 60's was pretty strong, worth checking out bands like Q65, The Motions, Brainbox, Earth & Fire, Shocking Blue and others.  This is another Dutch group featuring one of the foremost figures of the scene Boudewijn de Groot.

The Eyes were ostensibly a Mod group but they put out this incredibly prescient record in 1965, preceding The Beatles early psychedelic efforts.  As a result I think it's a genuinely important record in the development of popular music.  I've listened to 10's of thousands of singles and the only real rival I can think of is The 13th Floor Elevators for early psychedelia.

As far as I know The 23rd Turnoff only released one single, this rather beautiful example of gentle British psychedelia.

Another band that released one single, Stone Axe.  This in my opinion is EPIC.  Bit of Black Sabbath going on but it's a bit more jammy and has a looser groove.  The guitar tones on this record are brilliant.

We are probably tipping over into the Hard Rock/Early Metal scene here but I think it still has a garage/psychedelic tinge.  This is Macabre who later changed their name to Pentagram, a band more than worth checking out if you like that sort of thing.  I recently did my grocery shopping with this blasting into my lugs and I have to say it made going up the condiment aisle much more enjoyable than it would have been.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

I'll through a few more up.

A mid 60's band I think should have been more successful but really didn't do much - Fleur de Lys.  They put out a few good singles as a band and a backing group (with Sharon Tandy) but didn't really get anywhere.

Andromeda put out one album in, I think 1969, before the group split up and went their own ways.  John Du Cann ended up in Atomic Rooster who were a decent band.  The Andromeda album is half brilliant half garbage I guess that's drugs for you!  'Too Old' is the opening track and just a bit crazy, all over the place, inventive with great musicianship and instrument tones.

Again we are straying away from the 60's garage/psych scene and more towards 70's hard rock but the album is called 'Grower of Mushrooms' so we can at least put a secondary 'Psychedelic Rock' tag on this one.  

On 17/02/2021 at 23:53, Jimi Shandrix said:

Psych pop for me, so qualifies for this thread, plus it's my ball.  Odessey & Oracle is a fantastic album from start to finish

Did you see " them " playing it in Glasgow a few , few years ago ?

Good stuff ( incl. Butcher's tale )

The staff kindly provided seats for those who required them

( Not me obviously )