Phil Spector is dead

4 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys - have you heard of him?

Wilson was so moved by Spector's production of 'Be my Baby' that he played it repeatedly every morning.

Wilson was a genius, but his records arguably wouldn't have sounded the way they did had it not been for Spector.

John Lennon & George Harrison - heard of them? Who did they ask to co-produce their early solo records? 

This is like that daft lassie who was editor of Smash Hits at the time George Harrison died - "What's all the fuss about? I could understand if it was Simon Le Bon or Tony Hadley"! :lol:

https://y.yarn.co/e7d0cb18-0fb9-4f0e-81a8-966c2a4f8ec6.mp4

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

His over-production of The Ramones was a black mark against his career.

In all fairness,  that album was exactly what you would expect a Phil Spector album to sound like even if it is not what you expect of a Ramones album.

What were they thinking?

It would have made more sense if he did a Joey solo album instead but that was never going to happen at that time.

7 hours ago, paranoid android said:

This is like that daft lassie who was editor of Smash Hits at the time George Harrison died - "What's all the fuss about? I could understand if it was Simon Le Bon or Tony Hadley"! :lol:

Reminds me of the time Donna Air was interviewing the Corrs on MTV and asked them how did you meet ?

10 hours ago, John MacLean said:

They say the line between genius and insanity is an extremely fine one and Spector perfectly demonstrated that.

An absolute genius music producer, Let It Be not withstanding, but a total lunatic with an already well demonstrated obsession with playing with guns long before the murder.

Aye and he crossed that particular rubicon with his involvement with the truly awful Death Of A Ladies Man.

11 hours ago, Fullerene said:

In all fairness,  that album was exactly what you would expect a Phil Spector album to sound like even if it is not what you expect of a Ramones album.

What were they thinking?

It would have made more sense if he did a Joey solo album instead but that was never going to happen at that time.

True. Danny Says is a great song though.

Baby I Love You is effectively Joey solo cos none of the others play on it.

As a producer, he was only rivalled by Brian Wilson. As a human being, he was not the best.
Quite possibly one for the Unpopular Opinions thread, but I think by the time his career's over you'll have to add Max Martin to that list.

That's not to take anything away from Spector, whose work I thought was magnificent. Absolute nutball though and hopefully we're only a few months away from someone writing a brilliantly entertaining and interesting biography.

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

True. Danny Says is a great song though.

Baby I Love You is effectively Joey solo cos none of the others play on it.

I agree that "Danny Says" is a great song and my favourite from that album.  It starts off quiet but ends quite loud.  I love songs like that.

(Another example would be "Bridge over Troubled Water".  Simon and Garfunkel went to the same school as the Ramones - that probably explains it).

Not sure how the song would have done with another producer.  The demo version sounds very ordinary.  Another great example of a song getting louder and louder is "Waiting for that Railroad" on Joey's second solo album "Ya Know".

The big thing with Phil Spector was over-production.  The big thing with the Ramones was perceived under-production.  Johnny Ramone would have wanted the whole album done in less time than Spector spent on the opening chord to Rock 'n' Roll High School.

19 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

Clearly people set a low standard for what constitutes a celebrity years ago as I've never heard of him and fail to see why he was ever relevant

Has never listened to River Deep Mountain High. Tina Turners story about that is fab.

1 hour ago, Elric said:

Has never listened to River Deep Mountain High. Tina Turners story about that is fab.

The other documentary is "20 Feet from Stardom" which is mainly about backing singers but also includes the likes of Darlene Love.  She was often the actual singer on the recording for some of Phil Spector's hits.

In one story he told a girl band "The Crystals" to get ready to go on tour to promote their new hit single "He's a Rebel" that had reached number 1 in the charts.  This came as a total surprise to them as they had not been involved in the recording at all.