New clubs in the West of Scotland

10 hours ago, Robert James said:

However, ongoing finance and commitment is difficult for these 2 clubs, when they have to play 17 - 18 away league games per season. This remoteness, is the problem that Fort William continually face in the HFL.

Brora is just as remote from most other HFL clubs as Fort, and they seem to manage all right. And Fort William's population is three times that of Brora.

10 hours ago, Robert James said:

Cambelltown Pupils would be a welcome addition to the WoSL. As would Oban Saints. Other WoSL clubs and supporters would look forward to one day out (once a season), to these splendid locations.'

However, ongoing finance and commitment is difficult for these 2 clubs, when they have to play 17 - 18 away league games per season. This remoteness, is the problem that Fort William continually face in the HFL.

Cambeltown Former Pupils and Oban Saints already travel into central Scotland every other weekend in their present leagues as do others from Argyll & Bute. They don't have an alternative if they wish to play winter adult Saturday football.

Just for interest's sake some of the others which also travel include Lochgilphead Red Star, Tarbert, South Lochaber Thistle (from Kinlochbervie), Dunoon Athletic and Rothesay Brandane. There's even an Arran side which plays in an Ayrshire League (maybe on Sundays?).

Edited by Dev

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Cambeltown Former Pupils and Oban Saints already travel into central Scotland every other weekend in their present leagues as do others from Argyll & Bute. They don't have an alternative if they wish to play winter adult Saturday football.

Just for interest's sake some of the others which also travel include Lochgilphead Red Star, Tarbert, South Lochaber Thistle (from Kinlochbervie), Dunoon Athletic and Rothesay Brandane. There's even an Arran side which plays in an Ayrshire League (maybe on Sundays?).

Isle of Arran play in the AFA Sunday league...they play almost all of their competitive "home" fixtures on the mainland though.

1 hour ago, Stag Nation said:

Brora is just as remote from most other HFL clubs as Fort, and they seem to manage all right....

...in a league with floodlights universally available and no culture of cramming in multiple fixtures per week late in the season to clear fixture backlogs related to having multiple cup competitions. The main issue with a very remote Argyll club is it would probably force changes to how the league does its entire fixture list when > 67 clubs could easily operate more flexibly if they were not there.

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...in a league with floodlights universally available and no culture of cramming in multiple fixtures per week late in the season to clear fixture backlogs related to having multiple cup competitions. The main issue with a very remote Argyll club is it would probably force changes to how the league does its entire fixture list when > 67 clubs could easily operate more flexibly if they were not there.

So are you saying teams from Argyll shouldn’t be allowed in? As I’ve said previously when I played in Argyll we still had fixture pile ups at the end of the season due to postponements and cup runs so did have midweek games in Glasgow, a bit of a pain but it’s what we signed up for. Often to catch up we played fixtures on Saturday and Sunday’s over the weekends until caught up. Plus it won’t always be the Argyll teams travelling to Glasgow midweek surely it’ll be the other way round on occasion too? 

I could be wrong. I think there's a historical agreement that Campbeltown in particular don't play midweek matches in the central belt and central belt teams don't travel to them midweek either. Teams would often find themselves unable to field sides in these instances. With teams with grass pitches the fixture backlog necessitates midweek matches. That being said, fantastic day out I imagine.

3 hours ago, Dev said:

Interesting. Thank you.

14 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

Well,...that and the fact that they (and their pitch) continue to be shite.

The sooner FW have a feeder league to be relegated in to the better.

Yes, they face potential relegation to the NCL, once Tier 6 is confirmed for the North..

49 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Yes, they face potential relegation to the NCL, once Tier 6 is confirmed for the North..

Potential, but maybe not imminent.

First, the HL have to decide how many members they want.  If Brora aren't promoted, they may want to see one promotion (with no relegation) to get to an even number. Even if Brora do go up, they may prefer 18 to 16 and so need two promotions..

Second, there may be no licensed promotion candidates for some time.

4 hours ago, Mr_Magoo said:

So are you saying teams from Argyll shouldn’t be allowed in? As I’ve said previously when I played in Argyll we still had fixture pile ups at the end of the season due to postponements and cup runs so did have midweek games in Glasgow, a bit of a pain but it’s what we signed up for. Often to catch up we played fixtures on Saturday and Sunday’s over the weekends until caught up. Plus it won’t always be the Argyll teams travelling to Glasgow midweek surely it’ll be the other way round on occasion too? 

That's the bit that is causing some concern and discussion particularly with the Lanarkshire clubs.

There's little appetite for a jaunt up to Argyll for a 7pm KO on a Wednesday night with half a team unavailable due to work commitments.

Not saying it would be a deal breaker but something that would need to be seriously taken into consideration when voting any new applicants in.

2 minutes ago, santheman said:

That's the bit that is causing some concern and discussion particularly with the Lanarkshire clubs.

There's little appetite for a jaunt up to Argyll for a 7pm KO on a Wednesday night with half a team unavailable due to work commitments.

Not saying it would be a deal breaker but something that would need to be seriously taken into consideration when voting any new applicants in.

That's why our football is in the state its in the clique attitude, looking after number one, people of clubs voting on something they do not want because they wont want to travel.
That is just so wrong.  The worrying thing is that If the club passes all the criteria, everything, then they should be allowed in.
These teams managed it in the amateurs' and Glasgow teams travel to these teams during midweek, did it myself midweek, against Campbelltown Pupils and against Boys and also another team, cant remember the name but up near Oban but not the saints

9 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

That's why our football is in the state its in the clique attitude, looking after number one, people of clubs voting on something they do not want because they wont want to travel.
That is just so wrong.  The worrying thing is that If the club passes all the criteria, everything, then they should be allowed in.
These teams managed it in the amateurs' and Glasgow teams travel to these teams during midweek, did it myself midweek, against Campbelltown Pupils and against Boys and also another team, cant remember the name but up near Oban but not the saints

Nothing to do with clique mentality.

It's a genuine concern over player availability for a possible midweek game miles away that could mean relying on players getting time off work and not getting home until very late and the possibility of having to field a weakened team in those circumstances.

Any club official who does team lines and is being chased for them by the referee 2O mins before KO and 4 of the players listed to start aren't even in the ground yet will know what I'm talking about.

I'm only voicing what I'm hearing from clubs, doesn't mean I agree with it.

I'm sure with a little bit of thinking outside of the box fixture planning that scenario might not even happen.

10 minutes ago, santheman said:

Nothing to do with clique mentality.

It's a genuine concern over player availability for a possible midweek game miles away that could mean relying on players getting time off work and not getting home until very late and the possibility of having to field a weakened team in those circumstances.

Any club official who does team lines and is being chased for them by the referee 2O mins before KO and 4 of the players listed to start aren't even in the ground yet will know what I'm talking about.

I'm only voicing what I'm hearing from clubs, doesn't mean I agree with it.

I'm sure with a little bit of thinking outside of the box fixture planning that scenario might not even happen.

Yip agree with your thinking
Obviously later start times can help aka the person who does the fixture planning 
Development teams or the reserve squad help now as they are a full squad of potential players waiting in the wings so if they get the opportunity, then they grab it. 

My worry is clubs can vote in other clubs and vote them out just because they don't like a manager or the team colours or any daft reason even if said club fit all criteria asked of them to make sure they comply with the league rules.  Suppose I'm meaning not just in the WOSFL but in all leagues

3 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yip agree with your thinking
Obviously later start times can help aka the person who does the fixture planning 
Development teams or the reserve squad help now as they are a full squad of potential players waiting in the wings so if they get the opportunity, then they grab it. 

My worry is clubs can vote in other clubs and vote them out just because they don't like a manager or the team colours or any daft reason even if said club fit all criteria asked of them to make sure they comply with the league rules.  Suppose I'm meaning not just in the WOSFL but in all leagues

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I cannot think of any team that has ever been voted out of the League by the member clubs (certainly not in the WRJFA anyway). 

6 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Having been in Campbeltown today, I am reminded about how far away it is even from here in Lochgilphead - but is it even Campbeltown Pupils that are up for discussion?

Think we were generalising about possible applicants from that geographical area Jamie. Might not even be any as its just speculation at this moment in time.

5 minutes ago, santheman said:

Think we were generalising about possible applicants from that geographical area Jamie. Might not even be any as its just speculation at this moment in time.

cheers Sandy - as ever, speculation is great fun but can lead down blind alleys!