P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

50 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Madwullie Cup Result

Dearyme defeats psleslie99 in the Madwullie Cup. 

I'm not sure there was ever a perpetual check tbh.

Thanks for the game. 👍

Well played. Result as expected. Any good ideas I had were swiftly battered into oblivion.

No there wasn't, I thought there was but clearly didn't see my Knight being blundered 🤣🙈

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Mackieboz beats incomingexile by checkmate. Gg

Cheers mackieboz (Stellaboz), good game. Enjoyed that as I knew it would be a fairly attacking game, swapping queens after six moves or so confirmed that. By the end I was happy just to escape your (second) queen for as long as possible, stretched the game out into fifty-odd moves so that wasn't too bad. 

Hopefully this final round defeat will throw down a real marker for anyone joining Division C next season, they're going to have to put in a whole lot of pre-season drinking and kamikaze blunder practice to wrestle away my basement spot. Bring it on........ 

Division A

Round 11

After losing a piece to a dumb blunder on move 7, I have to grind out 60 more moves worth of game that ends up in what looks quite like a drawn position, but isn't, if you actually work out the details. Fortunately AH13STU didn't work out the details and offered the draw.

AimHere draws AH13STU by a mixture of dogged persistence and misdirection

Edited by Aim Here

2 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Division A

Round 11

After losing a piece to a dumb blunder on move 7, I have to grind out 60 more moves worth of game that ends up in what looks quite like a drawn position, but isn't, if you actually work out the details. Fortunately AH13STU didn't work out the details and offered the draw.

AimHere draws AH13STU by a mixture of dogged persistence and misdirection

Had a look at the analysis to see where I was going blind. Ah well, shit happens. Cheers mate.

5 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Madwullie Cup

Arch-nemesis Board_Stupid puts in a huge effort to win back a pawn I pinched back in move 10, and then promptly blunders mate in 2.

AimHere beats Board_Stupid by resignation

Well played. I was a bit behind for most of the game. According to the analysis I pulled it back dead level, but then made a complete SweeperDee of it at the end.

Division A

Board_stupid beats AH13STU by resignation.

I was up against it for much of the game after Stu had the better of the opening. I somehow found myself about even as the end game was approaching, but there was a sucker punch when Stu left his bank rank vulnerable.

League Table and Outstanding Fixtures

The season is nearly done. We have four League fixtures outstanding, all in Division A, and they're important enough that the league winner is still to be determined.

Division A P W D L Pts
Board_Stupid 11 8 2 1 26
AimHere 12 6 3 3 21
Ziggy_the_Spider 10 6 2 2 20
AH13STU 12 4 4 4 16
Purplekangaroo89 12 4 1 7 13
Arabjoe 11 3 0 8 9
gkneil 10 2 0 8 6

Outstanding Fixtures:

11 gkneil vs Arabjoe
12 Board_Stupid vs Ziggy_the_Spider
14 Ziggy_the_Spider vs gkneil

For Division B, the fixtures are complete. Congatulations to @invergowrie arab who is guaranteed top-tier chess next season

Division B P W D L Pts
invergowrie 12 10 0 2 30
pleslie999 12 8 1 3 25
PnBMathematics 12 5 2 5 17
markf268 12 5 1 6 16
N5_Spur 12 5 0 7 15
The_kid1433 12 3 1 8 10
XCTR94 12 3 1 8 10

Division C P W D L Pts
AlbinoRov 14 12 1 1 37
Basedgodsa1nt 14 9 0 5 27
Dandies1983 14 9 0 5 27
KenDeans 14 7 0 7 21
mackieboz 13 6 1 6 19
RBWatson 14 5 0 9 15
Strachanovski 13 3 2 8 11
IncomingExile 14 2 0 12 6

Division C still has one fixture to go, which may influence who ends up in the number 2 spot

8 Strachanovski vs mackieboz

Meanwhile there's still one outstanding Madwullie Cup quarter final,

Purplekangaroo89 vs Ziggy_the_Spider

13 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

League Table and Outstanding Fixtures

The season is nearly done. We have four League fixtures outstanding, all in Division A, and they're important enough that the league winner is still to be determined.

Division A P W D L Pts
Board_Stupid 11 8 2 1 26
AimHere 12 6 3 3 21
Ziggy_the_Spider 10 6 2 2 20
AH13STU 12 4 4 4 16
Purplekangaroo89 12 4 1 7 13
Arabjoe 11 3 0 8 9
gkneil 10 2 0 8 6

Outstanding Fixtures:

11 gkneil vs Arabjoe
12 Board_Stupid vs Ziggy_the_Spider
14 Ziggy_the_Spider vs gkneil

For Division B, the fixtures are complete. Congatulations to @invergowrie arab who is guaranteed top-tier chess next season

Division B P W D L Pts
invergowrie 12 10 0 2 30
pleslie999 12 8 1 3 25
PnBMathematics 12 5 2 5 17
markf268 12 5 1 6 16
N5_Spur 12 5 0 7 15
The_kid1433 12 3 1 8 10
XCTR94 12 3 1 8 10

Division C P W D L Pts
AlbinoRov 14 12 1 1 37
Basedgodsa1nt 14 9 0 5 27
Dandies1983 14 9 0 5 27
KenDeans 14 7 0 7 21
mackieboz 13 6 1 6 19
RBWatson 14 5 0 9 15
Strachanovski 13 3 2 8 11
IncomingExile 14 2 0 12 6

Division C still has one fixture to go, which may influence who ends up in the number 2 spot

8 Strachanovski vs mackieboz

How many points would I get for a win?!

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

How many points would I get for a win?!

Three, as usual. But those three points may affect which of BasedGod or Dandies hits the playoff spot (I don't know if they would, I've not done the calculation yet)

You're not in the running!

Edited by Aim Here

Dear Mr Aim Here, collator of statistics and master of spreadsheets. 

I am in for Season 7. 

Just thought I'd get that in early, to tumultuous applause from the other Division C competitors who are now assured of six points. No, no, thank YOU! 

3 hours ago, IncomingExile said:

I am in for Season 7. 

Just thought I'd get that in early, to tumultuous applause from the other Division C competitors who are now assured of six points. No, no, thank YOU! 

I will boldly predict here and now that you won't be bottom next season. You're a better player than the two cheap wins I nicked off you this term.

13 hours ago, IncomingExile said:

I am in for Season 7. 

Not me buddy 🙂 Edit to add also in for next season

Edited by Ken Deans
More info

Madwullie Cup News:

The last Quarterfinal has been played, with Ziggy_the_Spider beating PurpleKangaroo89 by resignation.

That means the four semi-finalists are:

DearyMe
AimHere
Ziggy_the_Spider
Dandies1983

Scottish Parliamentarian Murdo Fraser has been called up to pull the warm balls out of the bowl, and thus, the two semifinals are:

AimHere vs Ziggy_the_Spider
DearyMe vs Dandies1983

Let battle commence!

Madwullie Cup News:
The last Quarterfinal has been played, with Ziggy_the_Spider beating PurpleKangaroo89 by resignation.
That means the four semi-finalists are:
DearyMe
AimHere
Ziggy_the_Spider
Dandies1983
Scottish Parliamentarian Murdo Fraser has been called up to pull the warm balls out of the bowl, and thus, the two semifinals are:
AimHere vs Ziggy_the_Spider
DearyMe vs Dandies1983
Let battle commence!

Frank Grimes reaction to that draw.

a3c32732732152a2b5d38dcbec891dd4.gif

In the crucial Division A clash Ziggy_The_Spider comes out on top against Board_stupid.

I blew up part way through the game after being in a good position. Ziggy played a bold (or reckless, I'm not sure) knight sacrifice which meant I had to do some serious defending.

I think if I'd managed to come through that spell without losing a piece I might've been ok, but alas it wasn't to be.

I believe that means that Ziggy is this season's champion, a position he very much deserves.