P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

2 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

Ziggy batters Ken Dean's. Resigns a lost cause

I don’t know if I’d call that a battering. 

I wasn’t that happy with my position and thought you were probably better after the 1st dozen or so moves. 

It was only after the position opened up that it all seemed to unravel for you.

Thanks for the game.

5 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I don’t know if I’d call that a battering. 

I wasn’t that happy with my position and thought you were probably better after the 1st dozen or so moves. 

It was only after the position opened up that it all seemed to unravel for you.

Thanks for the game.

Enjoyed the game. I was up against it after e4 I thought. Well played

Division B Round 9

Incoming Exile (home) loses by checkmate to Arabjoe after 28 moves.  I had got on the front foot early on and put some pressure on with a knight and queen, but a poor move saw the knight taken. Managed to keep up the pressure with the queen and had a lovely skewer that would have enabled me to capture my opponent's queen - but in a second completely daft moment, I decided to try another move instead to keep my queen in the game a little longer - big mistake. 

'If a better player offers you their queen, take it!' - this is the last time I ignore that sound advice. 

Well played Arabjoe, look forward to the return. 

Div B Rd9.

Ziggy beats Markf268 by resignation.

I won a pawn in the opening, my opponent tried to win one back but lost a piece in the process.

Thanks for the game.

29 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I’m not sure what has been recorded for me: but it’s essentially loses across the board apart from one draw and one win:

IMG_8290.png

Current spreadsheet has you at P7, D1, L1 so that tallies up.

On 01/06/2023 at 12:05, free beer said:

stewartmathers loses to @ancientnoise, @Aim Here, and beef2711 

Too many mistakes, which I've found you can't afford in the big boys' league.

Unexpected and hasty resignation IMO.

But some succour for me I suppose, now knowing that I'm not the only one with a flagrant disregard for the Queen's safety!

Thanks for the game @free beer

I'm sure we'll get back to our epic tussles when we meet again.

I've been slow at reporting results:

Division A Round 7 Result

Dearyme defeat dandies1983 by resignation.

This was a bit of an uphill slog for dandies early, he gave up a pawn in the opening and got some decent initiative as my King was uncastled and the queen's were off. However, he was a bit loose with a Bishop and then was a piece down which became a rook and was an easy endgame. It's a different game if you don't lose the Bishop. You have the development lead but I've gained a pawn.

@Frank Grimes thanks for the game.

Edited by Trogdor

Division A Round 6 Result

Dearyme defeats AH13STU by resignation.

This was an interesting game with 13 moves of theory banged out by both players in the opening. A grunfeld. I manged to double my Rooks on the open c file and my black square Bishop was very active. I thought I had an edge but not much but then STU played his Queen to a d6 allowing the Bishop to nestle on e7 and hit the Queen (on d6) and the Rook (on f8). It was even worse as the Queen had no escape squares. So the Queen was swapped for a rook and it was an easy conversion in the end.

@Leicesterlichtie many thanks for the game. Obviously the Queen move turned it but I thought I had the edge positionaly as my pieces were very active.

Edited by Trogdor

Division A Round 8 Result

Dearyme defeats purplekangaroo89 by resignation. This was a Dutch defense and the computer does not like my opening reply. Inaccuracy, inaccuracy, inaccuracy apparently. 3 moves in a row. This game really turned on me lodging my Knight on g6 which prevented the kangaroo from castling. The king then took a couple of steps towards the queenside but the exchange went thereafter (Rook for Knight) and it was an easy conversion in a king and pawn ending, once everything had been swapped off and I was 2 pawns up.

@craigkillie thanks for the game.

Edited by Trogdor

Rbwatson beats pleslie999 by checkmate

not blundered mate in 1 in a while so why not do it now! My opponent offered a draw too but I thought I could’ve seen the match over the line if I could avoid perpetual check, stupid blunder cost me in the end. Well played sir!

Division A Table and Fixtures

Division A P W D L Pts
AimHere 10 8 1 1 25
DearyMe 8 8 0 0 24
The_Curmudgeon 7 6 0 1 18
ancientnoise 9 6 0 3 18
AH13STU 7 4 0 3 12
invergowrie 8 4 0 4 12
beef2711 6 2 0 4 6
PurpleKangaroo89 6 2 0 4 6
stewartmathers 9 2 0 7 6
PnbMathematics 7 1 1 5 4
AlbinoRov 7 1 0 6 3
Dandies1983 8 1 0 7 3

Round 11
PnbMathematics vs PurpleKangaroo89
invergowrie vs stewartmathers
AlbinoRov vs Dandies1983
AimHere vs The_Curmudgeon
beef2711 vs AH13STU
ancientnoise vs DearyMe

Round 12
stewartmathers vs PnbMathematics
AlbinoRov vs PurpleKangaroo89
invergowrie vs The_Curmudgeon
beef2711 vs Dandies1983
AimHere vs DearyMe
ancientnoise vs AH13STU

Results and calculations are found on the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/158LDZeO6qy6qQlDhu3yDKoJVT4bShozWZbRchnvH1Wo