P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

2 hours ago, mathematics said:

I was genuinely expecting a ratings boost, having drawn with a player with a significantly better rating. Alas, chess.com hits hard.

That could be the uncertainty factor with these Elo-type ratings systems that settles down after a while, once the algorithm has an idea of how good you are. For FIDE-style Elo, this is the k-factor which is higher for newly rated people or for kids, and that directly affects how much each game affects your points. For lichess and chess.com , which have a different system, the uncertainty also creeps up if you've not played for a long time.

You've likely played enough that chess.com's ratings have decided that they have a decent idea of how good you are and one game doesn't upset your rating so much.

On 24/05/2023 at 15:18, pleslie99 said:

in other news another defeat, this time to the_kid1433. Another one I was never in, analysis shows I only made 1 blunder, however my opponent played a pretty flawless game. Well played!

Thanks for the game snd kind words, I look foward to thr return match.

Division A - Round 4
stewartmathers loses to AH13STU by resignation

A match from piece swap central, led to a pawn foot race for queen which AH13STU held the upper hand. Thought about cheekily offering a draw at that point, but did the honorary thing instead.

Look forward to visting your ground later this season. Hope to have a few new signings by then.

Div B

KenDeans beats XCTR94 by checkmate.

Thought we ended up in a stalemate position but Ken knew better and got a great checkmate, well played. Disappointed with that defeat but can’t complain.

6 hours ago, free beer said:

Division A - Round 4
stewartmathers loses to AH13STU by resignation

A match from piece swap central, led to a pawn foot race for queen which AH13STU held the upper hand. Thought about cheekily offering a draw at that point, but did the honorary thing instead.

Look forward to visting your ground later this season. Hope to have a few new signings by then.

Thanks for the game. Tight for long periods until all the swap off substitutions. My pawns had slightly more legs to finish the game off.

Division A Table and Fixtures

Division A P W D L Pts
AimHere 8 6 1 1 19
DearyMe 5 5 0 0 15
The_Curmudgeon 5 4 0 1 12
ancientnoise 7 4 0 3 12
AH13STU 4 3 0 1 9
invergowrie 5 2 0 3 6
stewartmathers 6 2 0 4 6
PnbMathematics 6 1 1 4 4
beef2711 3 1 0 2 3
PurpleKangaroo89 3 1 0 2 3
Dandies1983 6 1 0 5 3
AlbinoRov 4 0 0 4 0

Round 9
PnbMathematics vs Dandies1983
AimHere vs invergowrie
PurpleKangaroo89 vs AH13STU
ancientnoise vs stewartmathers
AlbinoRov vs DearyMe
beef2711 vs The_Curmudgeon

Round 10
invergowrie vs PnbMathematics
Dandies1983 vs PurpleKangaroo89
stewartmathers vs AimHere
AH13STU vs AlbinoRov
The_Curmudgeon vs ancientnoise
DearyMe vs beef2711

As usual, results and calculations can be found on the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/158LDZeO6qy6qQlDhu3yDKoJVT4bShozWZbRchnvH1Wo/

Division B Table and Fixtures

Division B P W D L Pts
Ziggy_The_Spider 8 8 0 0 24
KenDeans 7 5 0 2 15
The_kid1433 7 5 0 2 15
pleslie999 8 5 0 3 15
Arabjoe 7 4 0 3 12
Basedgodsa1nt 7 4 0 3 12
RBWatson 7 3 0 4 9
XCTR94 8 3 0 5 9
IncomingExile 8 2 0 6 6
markf268 5 1 0 4 3
mackieboz 6 1 0 5 3
N5_Spur 6 1 0 5 3

Round 9
mackieboz vs XCTR94
IncomingExile vs Arabjoe
N5_Spur vs Basedgodsa1nt
RBWatson vs pleslie999
The_kid1433 vs KenDeans
Ziggy_The_Spider vs markf268

Round 10
Arabjoe vs mackieboz
XCTR94 vs N5_Spur
pleslie999 vs IncomingExile
Basedgodsa1nt vs The_kid1433
markf268 vs RBWatson
KenDeans vs Ziggy_The_Spider

The round 3 tie between mackieboz and markf268 doesn't appear to have either been played or in the process of being played, which suggests it might be an oversight. @Stellaboz @true_rover

Curmudgeon beats Albinorov by resignation.

Albinorov got into a bit of bother early on with one of his knights being caught after opening with the Alekhine defence. Although he then made it difficult for me and I had to exchange down and relied on promoting a pawn to force the resignation.

@Aim Here looking at the table it looks like you've missed a win for Albinorov against Beef which was reported in the previous page.

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Curmudgeon beats Albinorov by resignation.

Albinorov got into a bit of bother early on with one of his knights being caught after opening with the Alekhine defence. Although he then made it difficult for me and I had to exchange down and relied on promoting a pawn to force the resignation.

@Aim Here looking at the table it looks like you've missed a win for Albinorov against Beef which was reported in the previous page.

Fixed. I have a bad habit of accidentally recording the games the wrong way round.

Division A Round 9

Invergowrie tries a Scandi and it's fairly even, except that it ends up as being about who can aim the mostest stuff at the pawn in front of invergowrie's king the fastest, and it turns out that I can.

AimHere beats invergowrie by resignation