P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

XCTR94 beats RBWatson by resignation. 

Very close until a queen/king pin/queen sacking rocked his solid defence. I had advanced pawns his isolated rook wouldn’t be able to defend as my rook had them covered.

Good game. 

IMG_2311.png

IMG_2312.jpeg

IMG_2313.png

Edited by SweeperDee

8 hours ago, IncomingExile said:

Division B, Round 2 - Basedgodsaint extends his winning record against Incoming Exile to six out of six, by checkmate after a long game that had plenty of talking points for the experts. One of which would be why IE never spotted a chance to capture BGS's queen fairly early on (only discovered this in game review). That was before BGS's clever move led to my own early queen surrender. Came back into it with a sort of half-decent rook move that captured his queen but in the end it was the pawn advantage what won it. 

Probably the best of our encounters so far, cheers for the game.  

Thank you for the game, that was a thriller.

All the best for the rest of your games and I look forward to return leg.

Division B, Round 1

Ken Deans beats IncomingExile with a 63rd move checkmate. Plenty trading of pieces until the later stages when I had no real clue what to do and Ken's promoted pawn made a difference. Game review was very kind to me for the most part, I've only recently discovered that you can play archived games from any point against the computer so this one will go into my practice schedule, mainly to see if I can get myself out of trouble after the frequent mistakes.....

Enjoyed the game, look forward to our next one.

Two wins for me; in round 3, Dandies 1983 gets checkmated after having his early fried liver attack attempt repulsed.

In round 2, AH13STU gets his knight into a one-on-one duel with a brick building in the corner of the board, and, unlike Don Quixote, he realises that isn't going to end well and resigns.

16 hours ago, IncomingExile said:

Division B, Round 1

Ken Deans beats IncomingExile with a 63rd move checkmate. Plenty trading of pieces until the later stages when I had no real clue what to do and Ken's promoted pawn made a difference. Game review was very kind to me for the most part, I've only recently discovered that you can play archived games from any point against the computer so this one will go into my practice schedule, mainly to see if I can get myself out of trouble after the frequent mistakes.....

Enjoyed the game, look forward to our next one.

Same as that. On white tempo will b crucial

On 01/05/2023 at 15:43, Aim Here said:

Division B

Round 1
markf268 vs Arabjoe

Arabjoe wins by resignation.

I almost trapped your Queen (I actually thought I had, but you found the one move that allowed you to escape) but it left me a piece or two up - so after swapping a few further pieces I had a decent advantage, but still surprised you resigned - I've lost from far stronger positions!

Thanks for the game.

Division A - Round 1
PnbMathematics vs stewartmathers

stewartmathers wins by resignation. 

Close game until I got a piece advantage at move 15, then later skewered his queen with a bishop check.

Good luck in your next match!

On 05/05/2023 at 17:24, N5 Spur said:

Division B, Round 2
Ziggy_The_Spider vs N5_Spur

Ziggy_The_Spider wins (easily) by resignation.

Well played - result was never in doubt.

Same poor start as last season.  Hey ho.

Thanks for the game,  I thought you started not too bad. You just wasted too much time moving the same pieces more than once. In a position as open as that you have to make sure you can get your king to safety.

On 06/05/2023 at 16:33, SweeperDee said:

Div B

Ziggy ragdolled XCTR94.

Well played.

You were doing alright for the first ten moves or so & I think you would have been fine if you’d castled when you had the chance. Thanks for the game.

In my other games,…..

I beat Mackieboz after he made an early blunder.

My toughest game so far has been against The_Kid1433. I was a couple of pawns up early but then played far too passively. As a result I ended up with a really cramped position and had to be really careful. It took me ages to develop any pieces and I was a bit lucky that it didn’t all fall apart.

Cup Semi-Final result:

@free beer beats @ancientnoise by resignation

Another tough match!!! Taking less of a Kevin Keegan/Newcastle tactical approach to this one appears to have made the difference, after two League B defeats to my considerable opponent last season.

I believe I now play @Aim Here in the final, but don't know who has white? 

13 hours ago, Ziggy said:

My toughest game so far has been against The_Kid1433. I was a couple of pawns up early but then played far too passively. As a result I ended up with a really cramped position and had to be really careful. It took me ages to develop any pieces and I was a bit lucky that it didn’t all fall apart.

I think your selling yourself short. after you took the free pawns I tried to make some tricky situations on your queen side but every time I got somthing awkward you found the move to beat me back down. I always felt I was waiting for a mistake that wasn't coming.

Well played

Edited by the tungston weasel
Punctuation

Division B, Round 3

RBWatson gets off the mark for the season with a win v N5_Spur.

I thought I played pretty well, but the engine insists I did nothing more than drag my opponent down to my level with a pretty withering analysis of the standard of the game.

Thanks for the game @N5 Spur.

29 minutes ago, EvilScotsman said:

Division B, Round 3

RBWatson gets off the mark for the season with a win v N5_Spur.

I thought I played pretty well, but the engine insists I did nothing more than drag my opponent down to my level with a pretty withering analysis of the standard of the game.

Thanks for the game @N5 Spur.

You did play well and effectively decamped on my first two ranks. I thought I could see you out but you had so much of my material covered.  Very nicely done, good luck for the rest of the league.

Division A

Dearyme beats Curmudgeon

A series of underwhelming moves interspersed with the occasional bad move results in Trogdor administering the usual battering that is a hallmark of our games.

Well played, I was never in it.

57 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Division A

Dearyme beats Curmudgeon

A series of underwhelming moves interspersed with the occasional bad move results in Trogdor administering the usual battering that is a hallmark of our games.

Well played, I was never in it.

I think you do yourself a wee bit of a disservice. You just didn't get castled which left your king exposed and he had to do the walk of shame around the board until checkmate.

If it's helpful, I think I would have played 0-0 instead of a3 in your position. Or tried to press the centre with e5? a3 just felt a bit tepid to me.

You'll get me one of these days. @Aim Here almost got me!

22 hours ago, free beer said:

Taking less of a Kevin Keegan/Newcastle tactical approach to this one appears to have made the difference..

You're not joking there! Protect the king eh? What a formation...

stewart_mathers_king_defence.PNG.aff24cb7f3ef8a06790dc896cc309483.PNG

I was wondering how I was going to get in there, ended up going for the "drunk chimp" approach, leading to a deserved rag-dolling.

Not sure about the white/black situation for the final. Presumably the challenger selects the random choice? I'm sure @Aim Here will know, and go with whatever happened in previous tourneys.

Good luck to both finalists, should be a cracker.

Edited by ancientnoise

So there was some chat about a 360 cup a while back. Who's up for that?

We have three tourneys in the fitba, so....

The Div A/B leagues (say "Premiership" + "Championship"), the P&B Cup (say "Scottish Cup"), and the 360 Cup (say "League/Diddy Cup").

Quite happy to organise the latter.

I reckon we should at least finish the current P&B Cup and also get a few rounds of the running Season 8 league campaigns - perhaps half  of them? - finished beforehand.

So - Just putting the idea out there for now. Let me know if you agree or have any suggestions otherwise.

Is this too much chess? Is there even such a thing?

39 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

You're not joking there! Protect the king eh? What a formation...

stewart_mathers_king_defence.PNG.aff24cb7f3ef8a06790dc896cc309483.PNG

I was wondering how I was going to get in there, ended up going for the "drunk chimp" approach, leading to a deserved rag-dolling.

Not sure about the white/black situation for the final. Presumably the challenger selects the random choice? I'm sure @Aim Here will know, and go with whatever happened in previous tourneys.

Good luck to both finalists, should be a cracker.

In previous tournaments, it was just randomly selected, same as the previous rounds.