P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

12 hours ago, BaSeDG0DSA1NT said:

@Ziggy defeats Saint by checkmate.

I gave all I could, 75% accuracy, no blunders and 1 mistake but got well and truly destroyed by Ziggy.

GG, well played bud

Thanks for the game m8!

Division A Round 11

Going behind with a dumb one-move knight blunder meant I had to start throwing pawns and pieces at Curmudgeon's king, in the hopes he'd slip up somewhere, and fortunately for me, he did.

AimHere beats Curmudgeon by resignation.

P&B 960 League Cup June 2023

CALL FOR PLAYERS

So we're approaching the mid-point in Season 8.

Time to start the plan for the much-promised P&B 960 (League) Cup.

Same deal for the previous P&B (Scottish) Cup, only this time you pick the 960/random setup when you send your invitations:

1. Open/unseeded draw
2. Blitz for replays.

Of course given it's the summer I imagine there'll be some away on holiday catching the rays on the finest rivieras (Porty, The Ferry, Burntisland, Saltcoats etc), so giving plenty of warning here.

You want in? Yes, you do!

All you have to do is like this post before midnight on Friday 23rd June. I'll make the draw on the Sat/Sun after that.

@Curmudgeon@Aim Here@craigkillie@Leicesterlichtie@mathematics@Albino Rover@invergowrie arab@Frank Grimes@free beer@ancientnoise@Trogdor@IncomingExile@BaSeDG0DSA1NT@EvilScotsman@Ken Deans@N5 Spur@SweeperDee@Stellaboz@the tungston weasel@true_rover@arab_joe@pleslie99@Ziggy

I think that's everyone. If I've missed any, pass it on please.

I can't remember If I reported these or my opponents have !?

Division A Round 12 Result

Dearyme defeats AimHere by resignation.

Critical position is below, I am a Rook for Bishop and pawn down. My only chance of counter play is Ba6 and Rc8 and try to stop white from castling. AimHere went for the b6 pawn (by playing Be3) here before I got Ba6 when he could have castled out of trouble. That was the reference to greed.

Thanks for the game @Aim Here It might not feel like it but you are due beating me. I was very fortunate to win the home fixture and you had me under the kosh here.

Screenshot_20230610_201600_Chess.thumb.jpg.42a8255d1226d7e54104611e6e952bba.jpg

Division A Round 10 Result

Dearyme defeats Beef2711 by resignation. 

This game featured castling on opposite wings which always makes for an exciting game. I managed to blunder the exchange when I played the natural Rb1 here, missing the very simple Na3 forking the Queen & Rook. In fairness, when I had analysed the position I had assumed Nxe3. I was then the exchange down and had lost my positional advantage (computer reckons its level after I lose the exchange). As it happened, it forced me to attack the queenside via the big centre resulting in a nice win in the end.

Thanks for the game mate, I don't know your user id at the moment but I enjoyed it.

Screenshot_20230610_202516_Chess.thumb.jpg.e022a8e152b0c015ed064f7621174b4a.jpg

Division A Round 9 Result

Dearyme defeats AlbinoRover by checkmate.

This was an interesting one. Albino lost a pawn early doors and then gave me the exchange (Rook for Knight) and it became very difficult. He played it out though, even allowing me to checkmate.

Thanks for the game bud. @Albino Rover

7 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

Could @Aim Herehave got that b pawn with R -> B1, instead of his NF3 -> D2?

After I take the pawn, then he goes Bd8 followed by Ba5 and my king is in even worse shape than before. Castling when I have the change is probably the sensible way out,.

29 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

After I take the pawn, then he goes Bd8 followed by Ba5 and my king is in even worse shape than before. Castling when I have the change is probably the sensible way out,.

B - d2? Not wreckless to offer swap when up+

Then check him with rook?

1 hour ago, ancientnoise said:

Could @Aim Herehave got that b pawn with R -> B1, instead of his NF3 -> D2?

I think something along the lines of Ra8 to defend the Bishop is probably best response for black there. Anticipating Rxb6.

I don't think Bxb6 works as the pin on the Bishop after Rb8 has to be problematic for white. Especially when a Nc3 can be chucked in. Move order would be key there but I doubt you get the a pawn moving fast enough before Bd8.

If Rxb6 then Bd8 immediately and I think the Bishop is getting to a5 which can't be good for White.

I think its still bad tbh.

Edited by Trogdor

Division A Table and Fixtures

Division A P W D L Pts
DearyMe 11 11 0 0 33
AimHere 12 9 1 2 28
The_Curmudgeon 11 8 0 3 24
ancientnoise 10 7 0 3 21
stewartmathers 12 4 1 7 13
AH13STU 8 4 0 4 12
PurpleKangaroo89 10 4 0 6 12
invergowrie 11 4 0 7 12
beef2711 8 3 0 5 9
PnbMathematics 10 2 1 7 7
Dandies1983 10 2 0 8 6
AlbinoRov 9 1 1 7 4

Round 13
PnbMathematics vs AlbinoRov
The_Curmudgeon vs stewartmathers
PurpleKangaroo89 vs beef2711
DearyMe vs invergowrie
Dandies1983 vs ancientnoise
AH13STU vs AimHere

Round 14
The_Curmudgeon vs PnbMathematics
beef2711 vs AlbinoRov
stewartmathers vs DearyMe
ancientnoise vs PurpleKangaroo89
invergowrie vs AH13STU
AimHere vs Dandies1983

As usual, the results and calculations for both leagues can be found in the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/158LDZeO6qy6qQlDhu3yDKoJVT4bShozWZbRchnvH1Wo

Edited by Aim Here

Division B Table and Fixtures

Division B P W D L Pts
Ziggy_The_Spider 12 12 0 0 36
The_kid1433 11 8 0 3 24
Arabjoe 10 7 0 3 21
KenDeans 12 7 0 5 21
pleslie999 12 7 0 5 21
RBWatson 12 6 0 6 18
Basedgodsa1nt 12 5 0 7 15
XCTR94 10 4 0 6 12
N5_Spur 11 4 0 7 12
IncomingExile 12 4 0 8 12
markf268 11 2 0 9 6
mackieboz 9 1 0 8 3

Round 13
mackieboz vs The_kid1433
markf268 vs pleslie999
N5_Spur vs Ziggy_The_Spider
KenDeans vs Arabjoe
XCTR94 vs RBWatson
Basedgodsa1nt vs IncomingExile

Round 14
markf268 vs mackieboz
Ziggy_The_Spider vs The_kid1433
pleslie999 vs KenDeans
RBWatson vs N5_Spur
Arabjoe vs Basedgodsa1nt
IncomingExile vs XCTR94

Division B, Round 14

XCTR94 deservedly wins by checkmate after what was effectively a blitz game....... note to self: you've got 24 hours, use them!

The icing on the straw on the back of the camel that was stood on the cake was a ridiculous rook blunder immediately after XCTR/Sweeper Dee had attacked with his bishop, although he was already on his way to three points by then. 

Interviewed after the game, the home support (Keith and his dog, Flatulent Barry) had very little to say on account of the smell. 

Well played Sweeper Dee, until next time.....

Edited by IncomingExile

3 minutes ago, IncomingExile said:

Division B, Round 14

XCTR94 deservedly wins by checkmate after what was effectively a blitz game....... note to self: you've got 24 hours, use them!

The icing on the straw on the back of the camel that was stood on the cake was a ridiculous rook blunder immediately after XCTR/Sweeper Dee had activated his bishop, although he was already on his way to three points by then. 

Interviewed after the game, the home support (Keith and his dog, Flatulent Barry) had very little to say on account of the smell. 

Well played Sweeper Dee, until next time.....

Think maybe me losing/trading a rook early on gave you a bit of a false sense of security, even though I ended up positive on material. Like I said think you ended up tunnel visioned by that knight that wasn’t up to much and forgot about the bishop aiming right above it. Easy mistake to make. Blitz games always suit me down to the ground cause folk make tiny mistakes like that which can snowball quite fast. Well played, and as you said I’ll see you in the return. 

Division A

Curmudgeon beats Mathematics by resignation.

Maths went for an early attack on my king which took a few pieces off the board. When the dust settled he was on the wrong end of a nasty pin which was going to cause carnage if the resignation hadn't happened.

Result div B the kid beats xctr94 by resignation.

I managed to come out on top after a rookvand queen battle on the black king-side then just had to be careful with converting a material advantage.

Thr first time SweeperDee hasn't battered me all over the board so I feel good about myself. Look foward to the next game.

On 12/06/2023 at 00:36, the tungston weasel said:

Result div B the kid beats xctr94 by resignation.

I managed to come out on top after a rookvand queen battle on the black king-side then just had to be careful with converting a material advantage.

Thr first time SweeperDee hasn't battered me all over the board so I feel good about myself. Look foward to the next game.

Well played bud, just wasn’t at the races that game. Look forward to the return.

Div B

XCTR94 beats RBWatson by checkmate.

Well played; just a miscalculated trade in the midgame set off your struggled in the endgame.

IMG_2573.png

IMG_2574.png

Division A

Curmudgeon beats beef2711 by resignation.

There wasn't much in this, but then it can be a game of fine margins. I managed to pinch a couple of pawns in the middle game which turned into a decent advantage as it got to the end game.