P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Cup game

AimHere vs mathematics

This was a very sharp 960 starting position, with queens and bishops starting off staring at each other. The d5 pawn spent a significant portion of the game pinned both against the black Queen AND against a mate-in-1 threat (or a similarly nasty attack). mathematics missed a couple of tactics and went down in material, and, in an effort to avoid yet another tactic, blundered mate.

AimHere beats mathematics by checkmate

Division A

Curmudgeon beats Dandies by resignation.

One early mistake put me a piece up. Despite that Frank then went on to play a very solid game and didn't make it easy for me. I had to rely on pushing a pawn towards promotion in the end game to force the win.

Division B, Round 15

IncomingExile defeats N5_Spur by resignation.

An easy win for my opponent, very well played.  See you next season and good luck with the remaining games.

3 minutes ago, N5 Spur said:

Division B, Round 15

IncomingExile defeats N5_Spur by resignation.

An easy win for my opponent, very well played.  See you next season and good luck with the remaining games.

I wouldn't call it an easy win! The early exchange of queens allowed me to capture an early knight which was an important passage of play, but I've struggled against you in the past and had to be careful. Later in the game I was able to use space that I don't normally get in our fixtures. See you again next season.   

Division B, Round 18. 

An away win for RB Watson/Evil Scotsman against a slightly improved but still much to do Incoming Exile. After the earlier league fixture between us I was more cautious* and it led to a fairly tight game, but RB had a material advantage throughout and was able to chip away. The edifice crumbled later on and the endgame was rapid, I played on through the last few moves more for practice than anything else but it must have looked like the flailing of a headless chicken. 

Well played, that's now 6 - 0 in head to headless games. 

* apart from all my errors

Edited by IncomingExile

Division B, Round 17.  

Thought I made a half-decent start against Ziggy the Spider, but things went rapidly south after a five-way fork (Five!) from one of his knights blitzed apart my token defence. I resigned after a mere three-way fork from his remaining knight revealed a pending rook checkmate if I had attempted to blunder on. 

Thanks for the game, I will not be playing you again for some time unless it's in the Cup.....

Edited by IncomingExile

3 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

P&B 390 Cup

ancientnoise (white) beats pleslie99 by resignation.

Bit of a chaotic start, and some real presure from my opponent. But then he did a thing with his queen, allowing me to escape the danger and bring my knights into play.

Thanks for the game @pleslie99!

Well played. I thought I had a good idea with my queen………

1 hour ago, ancientnoise said:

Wonders if that's even possible..........

Heads off to have a look-see........

Five. Count them. Five. 

The post-game review reckoned that I was winning early on..... no, it really did say that. We'll be in different divisions next season, and leagues apart.... but I'm going to print that out and save it until I can afford a fridge.  

Edited by IncomingExile

Division A win for me against stewartmathers

After a solid start I made a big error giving away material, but clawed my way back into a decent position and managed to find the killer mate when the opportunity presented itself.

Thanks @free beer for two good games this season - hopefully see you next season for the same.