P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Posted (edited)

redVtop checkmates Kendeans. Ken went for a very defensive setup that left his pieces quite blocked in so I ended up playing aggressively to attempt to smash through his King side which thankfully for me worked out. 

Edited by Caro-Kann

Div A

I've just won a game against @pleslie99 on time. 5 moves in and level on material, but having made a good positional start.

Can someone please advise on the proper etiquette? Take the win or replay? (Possibly matching move-for-move to get the same position so no advantage is gained?)

9 hours ago, Albino Rover said:

Div A

I've just won a game against @pleslie99 on time. 5 moves in and level on material, but having made a good positional start.

Can someone please advise on the proper etiquette? Take the win or replay? (Possibly matching move-for-move to get the same position so no advantage is gained?)

To timed out so it’s a win for you. My fault for not making a move. 

Curmudgeon beats redVtop by resignation

A thoroughly entertaining game with a knife-edge ending. I put a lot of pressure on, but couldn't find a decisive move for a material advantage. Instead it turned into a race for promotion which ended with the slightly unusual position of a resignation despite having two queens on the board.

13 hours ago, Albino Rover said:

Div A

You're well within your rights to claim the win (and I'll mark it as a win in the scoresheet for now). It's the other player's responsibility to get their moves in on time.

If both parties agree, then you could finish the game off properly and report it, but it's not mandatory.

Division A Table and Outstanding Fixtures

Division A P W D L Pts
redvtop 18 14 1 3 43
AimHere 19 13 0 6 39
ancientnoise 13 12 1 0 37
The_Curmudgeon 16 12 0 4 36
albinorov 18 7 0 11 21
pleslie999 16 5 2 9 17
invergowrie 16 5 0 11 15
arabjoe 13 3 1 9 10
stewartmathers 14 3 1 10 10
DearyMe 2 2 0 0 6
KenDeans 13 0 0 13 0

|----+--------------------------------|
|  3 | DearyMe vs invergowrie         |
|  4 | arabjoe vs DearyMe             |
|  6 | pleslie999 vs DearyMe          |
|  7 | DearyMe vs The_Curmudgeon      |
|  8 | KenDeans vs DearyMe            |
|  9 | stewartmathers vs DearyMe      |
| 10 | DearyMe vs ancientnoise        |
| 10 | arabjoe vs stewartmathers      |
| 11 | redvtop vs DearyMe             |
| 13 | DearyMe vs albinorov           |
| 13 | KenDeans vs invergowrie        |
| 14 | arabjoe vs KenDeans            |
| 14 | invergowrie vs DearyMe         |
| 15 | DearyMe vs arabjoe             |
| 16 | pleslie999 vs KenDeans         |
| 16 | AimHere vs DearyMe             |
| 16 | arabjoe vs ancientnoise        |
| 17 | DearyMe vs pleslie999          |
| 18 | The_Curmudgeon vs DearyMe      |
| 18 | pleslie999 vs ancientnoise     |
| 18 | KenDeans vs stewartmathers     |
| 19 | DearyMe vs KenDeans            |
| 19 | ancientnoise vs The_Curmudgeon |
| 20 | arabjoe vs invergowrie         |
| 20 | KenDeans vs ancientnoise       |
| 20 | DearyMe vs stewartmathers      |
| 21 | ancientnoise vs DearyMe        |
| 21 | stewartmathers vs arabjoe      |
| 22 | DearyMe vs redvtop             |
| 22 | The_Curmudgeon vs albinorov    |
| 22 | ancientnoise vs stewartmathers |
|----+--------------------------------|

As usual, the results and calculations are on the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eR2-fUTwhfI39Teooz_cAk8ZnoObjlQJTO_lJfX3o1Q

Division B Table and Outstanding Results

Division B P W D L Pts
PnBmathematics 17 13 1 3 40
beef2711 14 13 0 1 39
davi3j 17 11 0 6 33
Basedgodsa1nt 17 10 2 5 32
mackieboz 15 7 2 6 23
markf268 16 6 1 9 19
Dustysghost 16 4 0 12 12
N5_Spur 17 4 0 13 12
RBWatson 15 2 2 11 8
weeyin13 4 0 0 4 0

|----+----------------------------|
|  1 | weeyin13 vs Dustysghost    |
|  2 | beef2711 vs weeyin13       |
|  4 | mackieboz vs weeyin13      |
|  5 | RBWatson vs weeyin13       |
|  6 | weeyin13 vs N5_Spur        |
|  7 | PnBmathematics vs weeyin13 |
|  8 | weeyin13 vs markf268       |
| 10 | beef2711 vs mackieboz      |
| 10 | Dustysghost vs weeyin13    |
| 11 | weeyin13 vs beef2711       |
| 12 | davi3j vs weeyin13         |
| 13 | weeyin13 vs mackieboz      |
| 14 | weeyin13 vs RBWatson       |
| 17 | RBWatson vs beef2711       |
| 17 | markf268 vs weeyin13       |
| 18 | weeyin13 vs Basedgodsa1nt  |
|----+----------------------------|

There's a couple of players who have fallen severely behind in the results count. At some point, if the results haven't come in, I may end up disqualifying any players who are severely behind on their games and voiding the games for them, though that won't happen at least until everyone else's games are played.

@Trogdor @weeyin13

On 26/05/2024 at 10:28, Curmudgeon said:

Curmudgeon beats redVtop by resignation

A thoroughly entertaining game with a knife-edge ending. I put a lot of pressure on, but couldn't find a decisive move for a material advantage. Instead it turned into a race for promotion which ended with the slightly unusual position of a resignation despite having two queens on the board.

We each had two queens at one point but my king in the middle of the board was my achilleas heel meaning I was about to drop a queen at which point I couldn't really see even a way to salvage a draw so why prolong the agony. It was though as you say an entertaining game.

Round 10

arabjoe beats stewartmathers by resignation

Round 21

stewartmathers beats arabjoe by resignation

Blundered my queen in the return match, whilst my opponent @arab_joe blundered in giving up a rook for it. Rather than resign, I played on and managed to secure an unexpected victory.

Result:

Div A - Round 16

ancientnoise (black) beats ArabJoe by resignation.

An enjoyable tie that was ticking along evenly until my opponent did a thing with one of his rooks and gave me the chance to take the queen or the match.

Thank @arab_joefor the match.

On 26/05/2024 at 12:03, Aim Here said:

You're well within your rights to claim the win (and I'll mark it as a win in the scoresheet for now). It's the other player's responsibility to get their moves in on time.

If both parties agree, then you could finish the game off properly and report it, but it's not mandatory.

Thanks for this.

On a similar note, this is the situation in my game against @Trogdor - no one has made a move since April. Do I win?

image.thumb.png.749d8de2b408ecad0ea79ce8b4c90c0e.png

I definitely do not want to accumulate a whole load of points from games I haven't actually won, but thought I was doing quite well against a player who usually hammers me.

21 minutes ago, Albino Rover said:

Thanks for this.

On a similar note, this is the situation in my game against @Trogdor - no one has made a move since April. Do I win?

I definitely do not want to accumulate a whole load of points from games I haven't actually won, but thought I was doing quite well against a player who usually hammers me.

Ultimately it's up to @Aim Here playing the role of Neil Doncaster (but without the salary) as to when they want to call a halt to the league, but even if they do I'd imagine @Trogdor would want to continue with the game when they return unless they want to take about 8 losses against mostly lower rated players and the associated grade drop.

You are playing well my ML5 friend to have reached this position btw!

12 hours ago, Albino Rover said:

Thanks for this.

Currently, DearyMe/Trogdor is on track to having his season voided, in which case, this game would be null and void. He's only finished two games the whole season; if he manages to return before the season ends, any games he times out will generally be a win.

10 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Currently, DearyMe/Trogdor is on track to having his season voided, in which case, this game would be null and void. He's only finished two games the whole season; if he manages to return before the season ends, any games he times out will generally be a win.

Maybe I’m being harsh, but we all have things going on. Iv timed out twice this season I think and happily took the defeats as it’s my fault. I don’t think folk should just be allowed to go awol. It’s 1 move per day, it’s not that tough to keep up with.