P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

I've started watching chess on YouTube at nights in bed to help me sleep.

Not only am I sleeping within 15mins however I've also learned a few things about chess.com. pre-moves or conditional moves I think it's called.

What I can't seem to figure out as I'm still really bad with chess.com, plus I play mobile, hopefully some of you guys will know......

When I watch Chess Vibes in bed he can calculate by drawing little arrows, where pieces will move, he uses it to calculate exchanges to see if he comes out on top. Sorry its hard to explain but if anyone knows how to do this and cares to explain it be much appreciated.

50 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Mackieboz beats n5 spur by checkmate.

Gg, only noticed the checkmate as an accident!

You and me both!

However, you were up in material and it was only a matter of time. Nicely played, good luck for next season.

1 hour ago, IncomingExile said:

The result leaves the away side with a more than decent chance of retaining the Wooden Spoon for another season, which is a pity as the weary owners were looking to pawn the trophy cabinet to save the club. 

N5 Spur: hold my beer (possibly).

@Aim Here

Finally gotten around to sorting out my results. Belated results as follows and current status on the two missing:

Division A Round 13 result
DearyMe defeats invergowrie by resignation.

Division A Round 18 result
DearyMe defeats Dandies1983 by resignation.

I have one game in progress versus AH13STU. I have also just sent an invite to beef2711.

On 21/07/2023 at 22:28, BaSeDG0DSA1NT said:

I've started watching chess on YouTube at nights in bed to help me sleep.

Not only am I sleeping within 15mins however I've also learned a few things about chess.com. pre-moves or conditional moves I think it's called.

What I can't seem to figure out as I'm still really bad with chess.com, plus I play mobile, hopefully some of you guys will know......

When I watch Chess Vibes in bed he can calculate by drawing little arrows, where pieces will move, he uses it to calculate exchanges to see if he comes out on top. Sorry its hard to explain but if anyone knows how to do this and cares to explain it be much appreciated.

He's probably doing it via a desktop web browser, where the arrows are drawn by right-dragging with the mouse, and which works even in games with short time controls (unlike conditional moves). This might not translate well to mobile, where the device doesn't know or care which finger you're dragging with, so I suspect the app doesn't support it. As someone who uses the phone as little as I can get away with, I'm not even sure how you could right-drag using the website and a general purpose web browser on a phone.

Edited by Aim Here

Division A Table and outstanding Results

Division A P W D L Pts
DearyMe 20 18 1 1 55
AimHere 22 17 1 4 52
The_Curmudgeon 21 16 0 5 48
ancientnoise 19 15 1 3 46
invergowrie 21 8 1 12 25
stewartmathers 22 7 2 13 23
PurpleKangaroo89 17 7 1 9 22
AH13STU 17 6 2 9 20
AlbinoRov 21 6 1 14 19
beef2711 14 4 1 9 13
PnbMathematics 19 4 1 14 13
Dandies1983 19 2 0 17 6

Round 12
beef2711 vs Dandies1983

Round 13
PurpleKangaroo89 vs beef2711

Round 14
beef2711 vs AlbinoRov
ancientnoise vs PurpleKangaroo89

Round 15
PnbMathematics vs beef2711

Round 16
ancientnoise vs beef2711

Round 17
AH13STU vs DearyMe

Round 18
AH13STU vs PnbMathematics
invergowrie vs beef2711

Round 19
Dandies1983 vs AH13STU

Round 20
AH13STU vs PurpleKangaroo89

Round 21
PurpleKangaroo89 vs Dandies1983
ancientnoise vs The_Curmudgeon
beef2711 vs DearyMe

Round 22
PurpleKangaroo89 vs PnbMathematics
AH13STU vs beef2711

As usual, results and calculations are recorded on the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/158LDZeO6qy6qQlDhu3yDKoJVT4bShozWZbRchnvH1Wo/

Division B Table and outstanding Results

Division B P W D L Pts
Ziggy_The_Spider 22 22 0 0 66
Arabjoe 20 13 0 7 39
The_kid1433 20 13 0 7 39
KenDeans 22 13 0 9 39
Basedgodsa1nt 22 12 0 10 36
pleslie999 20 10 1 9 31
RBWatson 22 10 0 12 30
XCTR94 19 9 1 9 28
markf268 19 5 2 12 17
mackieboz 19 5 0 14 15
IncomingExile 21 5 0 16 15
N5_Spur 20 4 0 16 12

Round 14
markf268 vs mackieboz

Round 18
markf268 vs N5_Spur

Round 19
The_kid1433 vs markf268

Round 20
XCTR94 vs mackieboz

Round 21
mackieboz vs Arabjoe
N5_Spur vs XCTR94
IncomingExile vs pleslie999

Round 22
pleslie999 vs Arabjoe
XCTR94 vs The_kid1433

Ziggy was always going to walk this division (I feel bad about putting him in here) but the second place promotion spot looks like it might go to the wire with Arabjoe and The_Kid1433 dead-even with two results each to go - and if both of them blow it, there's the outside chance that we get a three-way tie.

Division A win for me against beef2711 - I came back from a rook and a pawn down to take material advantage and eventually clinch the win. Thanks for the game.

My league season is now over, but I might yet have a play-off to face, so should keep myself sharp - if anyone wants a friendly, feel free to challenge me.

Division B, Round 21. 

Pleslie999 wins by checkmate, a long game but far from close, as the home side was clutching at straws for a good part of it, and I played on in the vain hope of a meteor strike on the chess. com satellite forcing a draw. No such luck.

Thanks for the game, well played.

2 hours ago, IncomingExile said:

Division B, Round 21. 

Pleslie999 wins by checkmate, a long game but far from close, as the home side was clutching at straws for a good part of it, and I played on in the vain hope of a meteor strike on the chess. com satellite forcing a draw. No such luck.

Thanks for the game, well played.

Cheers mate, not looked at the game review yet but felt I played quite well and was always in a strong position. 

Sorry for being missing in action guys, new phone and had to redownload the app. Not letting me send invites for some reason so any matches I am due for can folk send a challenge my way. Cheers. 

960 Chess League

I've tagged in the eight other league members who've expressed an interest onto a new topic, so as not to overload this thread or potentially confuse reporting of results in future. If anyone else wants to join in, go to that separate thread where there will be a chance to decide on the format. 

The aim is for it to be a fairly short tournament that will not overlap too much with the next season of the main, proper League, but hopefully gives a bit of variety due to the random starts.