P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

GordonEF wins against beef2711 in the 2nd round of the cup.

I've watched the replay and I'm still not sure how to sum the game up. An absolute blood-letting of an opening as the pawns were bypassed in a mad race to get the Queens, bishops and knights out into the centre. Middle game slowly built up tension in the centre of the board before a flurry of activity left it basically two rooks against a rook and a bishop which was just too much for the plucky League C side.

Edited by Gordon EF

Division B, Round 8,  Elrohana wins el classico. Totally let him out of jail as well, gah! GG.
I thought you were going to get at least a draw until I attacked your Queen with my knight and you could not save it and your own knight.

Bizarrely the analysis says me swapping off the Queens was a mistake - personally I disagree - 2 pts up and rooks, bishop and knight vs his rooks and Knight on an open board, there is only one winner - hence the resignation. Screenshot_20210222_214021_com.chess.thumb.jpeg.e634f10666daaf1907fdec7bdf010562.jpegScreenshot_20210222_213437_com.chess.thumb.jpeg.b9fa550258e65cec765ef5ac84ad870a.jpeg

12 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I thought you were going to get at least a draw until I attacked your Queen with my knight and you could not save it and your own knight.

Bizarrely the analysis says me swapping off the Queens was a mistake - personally I disagree - 2 pts up and rooks, bishop and knight vs his rooks and Knight on an open board, there is only one winner - hence the resignation. Screenshot_20210222_214021_com.chess.thumb.jpeg.e634f10666daaf1907fdec7bdf010562.jpegScreenshot_20210222_213437_com.chess.thumb.jpeg.b9fa550258e65cec765ef5ac84ad870a.jpeg

I misplaced a knight early on which threw me off a bit, but taking the a7 pawn to go one up instead of firing into your king is what did me. I'd worked out that if it came to trading pieces at that point I was still one piece away from a guaranteed mate so bottled getting the wrecking ball out and seeing what was left. Easy in hindsight when the analysis tool tells you! Trading queens was just the last gasp Thelma and Louise aff the cliff move. Much as it might come across otherwise, I really enjoyed that, but win or lose or draw  against Gordon, my head needs a massage soon

Edited by Scorge

2 minutes ago, Scorge said:

t win or lose against Gordon, my head needs a massage after it......

Same. It's almost painful having to put that much thought into every move. I don't think I've ever played a game with such a complicated pawn network right across the board before.

I misplaced a knight early on which threw me off a bit, but taking the a7 pawn to go one up instead of firing into your king is what did me. I'd worked out that if it came to trading pieces at that point I was still one piece away from a guaranteed mate so bottled getting the wrecking ball out and seeing what was left. Easy in hindsight when the analysis tool tells you! Trading queens was just the last gasp Thelma and Louise aff the cliff move. Much as it might come across otherwise, I really enjoyed that, but win or lose or draw  against Gordon, my head needs a massage soon
I checked it as well - you still needed another piece to attack - my biggest worry was your white square bishop - once I got mine moved over to b6 I felt a lot safer.

49 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Then he takes the rook with his king, and it's stalemate 

If he doesn’t take it then Re8+ But surely black is still winning.

Edited by Ziggy

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

If he doesn’t take it then Re8+ But surely black is still winning.

Nope, once the pawn was moved up, the only piece that white could legally move is the rook. As long as the rook can continue to check king, black can't move to mate, so white will continue to check until the rook is taken, at which point it is a stalemate. Moving that pawn forward is a woeful move,