Dundee United vs St Mirren, 27th January

Just what we need after our disappointing semi (oo er), a trip to another ground where we have a disgraceful record in recent times. Even when we have been decent.

I thought United played some of the best football i have seen from any team this season in a 20 minute spell in the previous trip to Tannadice. Then badly regressed when we went down to 10 men.

They also played the worst football i have seen (or didn't see due to fog) when they came to Paisley and ground out a 0-0.

With our current form and poor performances a point wouldn't be the worst result.

Would take a 0-0. I don't think this will be pretty.

Just looked at the betting tomorrow night it's just plain wrong.

Saints below Utd in the league and in honking form, no wins this year, coming off a demoralising cup semi defeat away at a venue we have a dreadful record at. Just no way we are favs never mind heavy favs. Utd at 2/1 seems as ludicrous as the 6/4 about Saints.
Utd drift continues 12/5 in places with 11/5 generally available Saints in to 13/10.

Do United have some sort of virus in the camp they are keeping quiet (to all bar the actual press) [emoji102]

February will make or break our season.  We have 6 home games and a trip to Pitodrie next month.  A win and a good performance tonight will help us to go into this run of home games with a bit of momentum.  

As has been said before, we've struggled in recent years (decades) at Tannadice.  But there are positives to be taken about the current squad and manager.  

I wouldn't take a point if offered.  Utd can score goals and have 2 very capable forward players in Shankland and Clarke, so I'll have us starting with 2 up front with a bit of width.  Obika and Brophy on from the start.  Utd away is a winnable game and we should set up and approach it like that.

Saints win and Brophs to score. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Utd drift continues 12/5 in places with 11/5 generally available Saints in to 13/10.

Do United have some sort of virus in the camp they are keeping quiet (to all bar the actual press) emoji102.png

Does seem a little generous. But then I was sucked in by the 3/1 for Utd v St. Johnstone a few weeks back, and don't fancy getting stung again. 

20 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I agree with all that; looks a decent line-up. I don't actually think we'll miss McGrath being further up the pitch. He really doesn't create that much... But he does have the work rate and the tenacity to play a deeper role. Plus, he can actually turn and move the ball along in tight spaces, so that role could be perfect for him.

He is our top scorer!

28 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

He is our top scorer!

Reasonable point, but he's our penalty taker and that wouldn't change. I was just trying to think which of his goals wouldn't have happened if he'd been a proper CM instead of an AM. Potentially the Rangers goal, possibly the Motherwell one. But I see him being given more of a front-foot, box-to-box type role. He's absolutely got the energy and application for it. I reckon he could still very much be popping up on the edge of the box (Aberdeen winning goal, Motherwell goal) from that position. Even the Rangers goal was a sweeping move that started from deep and he continued his run.

5 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

February will make or break our season.  We have 6 home games and a trip to Pitodrie next month.

I'd narrow that down to two main fixtures, this and the Killie game in a week or so. I mentioned this in The Big Relegation thread. It's important we get something out of these, ideally 4 if not 6, and definitely at least 2.

23 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I don't actually think we'll miss McGrath being further up the pitch. He really doesn't create that much...

3 hours ago, NorthBank said:

He is our top scorer!

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Reasonable point..

But aside from all that what have the Romans has McGrath ever done for us?

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

But aside from all that what have the Romans has McGrath ever done for us?

In my defence, I did mean 'create' in the very literal sense. I have seen little to no evidence of any meaningful on-pitch chemistry between McGrath and any of our strikers. The goal vs Rangers was peak 'attacking mid arrives in the box and links up with our strikers' but I think it's happened far too rarely.

I'm not meaning to be being critical of him, I'm just saying the job he currently does can pretty much be done from a deeper position. Plus, he might bring benefits back there, too, in terms of speeding up play and allowing us to go two up front.

It's ok, I see the point you're making, just having a bit of a laugh at the exchange.

If you've subjected yourself to my overly long posts about the midfield I'm of the mindset that Goodwin probably should "shuffle the pack" a little yet I have a hunch he's hoping the dip in form is just the typical "that's the problem with young players" and they'll come good soon so could persist.

I believe you don't win anything with kids though.

This is what I'd go with tonight. It won't happen in a million years, but it'd be interesting to see it. I'm going McGrath wide left as a harder-working option than Durmus, which will offer Mason more cover, but because McGrath would be cutting inside, I'd want to see Mason hitting the overlaps more. Erhahon to stay switched on and provide cover down the left too.

Tough to drop Fraser, perhaps, so you can keep him in for Tait if you want. But I do want to see an actual left-sided left back in the team.

Tait - Shaughnessy - McCarthy - Mason

Connolly - Foley - Erhahon - McGrath

---------- Obika - Brophy -------------

We haven’t won at Tannadice since 2012, I don’t see that terrible stat changing tonight. Goodwin is much to cautious for his own good. The players are better suited to an attacking style formation but I guess we’ll get another line up that will be set up for a nil nil shitfest. 

The main issue is that when the opposition score first, we’re fucked.

Edited by glenburn bud

Just now, glenburn bud said:

The main issue is that when the opposition score first, we’re fucked.

Certainly the opposition scoring first is an issue, but games against Killie, Motherwell and Rangers (in the cup) shows we're not always fucked.

I'd like to see us take the lead, of course, but while we've recently performed way below our potential it's not like we down tools when we go behind.

This is what I'd go with tonight. It won't happen in a million years, but it'd be interesting to see it. I'm going McGrath wide left as a harder-working option than Durmus, which will offer Mason more cover, but because McGrath would be cutting inside, I'd want to see Mason hitting the overlaps more. Erhahon to stay switched on and provide cover down the left too.
Tough to drop Fraser, perhaps, so you can keep him in for Tait if you want. But I do want to see an actual left-sided left back in the team.
Tait - Shaughnessy - McCarthy - Mason
Connolly - Foley - Erhahon - McGrath
---------- Obika - Brophy -------------

Will be interesting to see if there are many changes.

I wonder if we'll even see Foley on the bench tonight [emoji848].

I think he'll go 4-4-2 McGrath and Erhahon in the middle, maybe even a diamond. Would be harsh to drop Fraser as he steadily goes about his job. Mason has offered nothing since doing a number on Cafu. Can see him being the safer option on the left ahead of Durmus though [emoji42].

Brophy and Obika up front please.

20 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Just seen this is a 1800h KO.  

I didny know.  

Bit of a lack of Arabs on here, beetheway... 

Thanks for flagging - I didn't know that either. Sadly, that's the only time I get all day with the kids so might have to make do with Alba later.