Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

27 games, impossible but currently the default position. 22, difficult in the timescale. 18, doesn't give challengers/Forfar much room to make up ground. N & v, unfair on Falkirk.

Too many games to be squeezed in when some have only played 8/9 so far, scottish cup, play offs, covid postponements, the only way to keep everyone happy, seems to be play to 18 games between now & May, or as much as possible, then add those points onto next season's. Therefor a 54 game mammoth, everyone plays each other home and away 3 times over 2 years, fans back everyone's happy! 

Tongue in cheek, but there would be no losers in the long run! 

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Yes, you are. What we have now is bad, but your suggestion is worse.

It would have got us the right answer.

So not sure how you justify your view here?…

Edited by roman_bairn

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

It would have got us the right answer.

So not sure how you justify your view here?…

It would have got you the answer you want this time. Maybe not the next time.

If an independent authority looked at the circumstances now, I think they'd have decided null and void.

It would have got you the answer you want this time. Maybe not the next time.
If an independent authority looked at the circumstances now, I think they'd have decided null and void.

Can’t see why they would draw that conclusion when it’s perfectly possible to complete 18 games and the majority want to play?
We will just need to disagree (again).....

https://spfl.co.uk/news/press-release-47554

Wait, what?

So the clubs hadnt actually voted yet? So we’ve now got to wait and see if they can reach a 8/10 majority in each league to see if we play 18 or 22 games? And if they don’t (which seems incredibly likely), the SPFL will publish its 27 game fixture list, despite a commitment from the clubs that they’ll play no more than 4 games in 8 days? All parties are coming out of this looking like utter imbeciles.

4 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Wait, what?

So the clubs hadnt actually voted yet? So we’ve now got to wait and see if they can reach a 8/10 majority in each league to see if we play 18 or 22 games? And if they don’t (which seems incredibly likely), the SPFL will publish its 27 game fixture list, despite a commitment from the clubs that they’ll play no more than 4 games in 8 days? All parties are coming out of this looking like utter imbeciles.

The club's are voting to say if you can't play 18 games by 23rd April it becomes an 18 game season. If they all manage to get 18 in by 23 April it will be 22 games each. 

It will go through easily (and 18 game season it is 😂)

18 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Wait, what?

Seems to be a formality,   I think we’d have heard if there were clubs who didn’t like the plan by now.

I reckon this will pass the vote, but inevitably one or more clubs will have to postpone fixtures due to Covid-19, which will mean an 18 game season after all.

It's quite refreshing to actually have a bit of contingency planning in Scottish football. In the past we would have just pressed ahead regardless with 22 matches and then all hell would break loose when the games couldn't be completed.

1882265331_ScreenShot2021-03-15at16_20_24.thumb.png.fcf2c62158a0c95d4224c6357fad4006.png

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

The SPFL have got it correct re 18 games. I honestly don't know whose idea was 22 but it is one of the craziest suggestions in Scottish football for a number of years and that's saying something.

Scottish cup ties alone could see Clyde relegated if it ends up as a ppm decision as the Scottish cup will take preference to league, I'd guess around 4,5 of the cup ties will see league one clubs progress adding more games to add to what already is tight.

Falkirk as it stands have 8 games in 6 weeks to make the 18 game point, 9 if successful in the cup which isn't that much a slog to fit in. I need a calculator to work out Clyde 😃

If we manage to fit in 22 games, the 2nd bottom championship team will be rubbing their hands. The injuries and general fatigue fitting in 22 games will make it one up one down this season.

Taking Clyde as the team with most games to play, if they get past Keith in the cup and their games postponed earlier in the season are to be replayed rather than awarded to the opposition (which will surely be the case after the St Mirren & Kilmarnock appeals) then their fixture list is going to look something like this to get 18 in by 23 April:

Sat 20 Mar - East Fife, league game 9

Tues 23 Mar - Keith, Scottish Cup (assume they win this)

Sat 27 Mar - Montrose, league game 10

Tues 30 Mar - league game 11

Thu 1 Apr - BLANK

Sat 3 Apr - Scottish Cup v Elgin or Ayr (assume they lose)

Tues 6 Apr - league game 12

Thu 8 Apr - game 13

Sat 10 Apr - game 14

Tues 13 Apr - game 15

Thu 15 Apr - game 16

Sat 17 Apr - game 17

Tues 20 Apr - game 18

Thu 22 Apr - BLANK

I assume they're not going to add anything in on Thursday 25th March having already published fixtures for the 27th.

While there are a couple more dates available, this is clearly insane. Getting further in the cup isn't out of the question which would lose 17 April for another round, meaning that 17 April game gets bumped to Thursday 22nd. That would mean 8 games in three weeks, and if any of the 7 league games is postponed then completing becomes impossible.

The SPFL board are probably hoping for a few days of horrible weather to write off two or three matchdays, getting them out of the unworkable nonsense the clubs have imposed on them to let it be 18 by 6 May. Surely no clubs are going to have the cheek to complain about the fixture list after dreaming this up?

6 minutes ago, MrDust said:

The SPFL have got it correct re 18 games. I honestly don't know whose idea was 22 but it is one of the craziest suggestions in Scottish football for a number of years and that's saying something.

Scottish cup ties alone could see Clyde relegated if it ends up as a ppm decision as the Scottish cup will take preference to league, I'd guess around 4,5 of the cup ties will see league one clubs progress adding more games to add to what already is tight.

Falkirk as it stands have 8 games in 6 weeks to make the 18 game point, 9 if successful in the cup which isn't that much a slog to fit in. I need a calculator to work out Clyde 😃

If we manage to fit in 22 games, the 2nd bottom championship team will be rubbing their hands. The injuries and general fatigue fitting in 22 games will make it one up one down this season.

Correct. Whoever thought this was a good idea needs their arse booted.

It makes you wonder about the reasoning behind the 22 game idea...has anyone associated with any club come out and said why?  The only thing I could see is certain clubs needing the extra games to catch up, but surely then you'd have other clubs disagreeing?  I would've thought they'd be dead against the idea of pretty much running their players into the ground with an unrealistic schedule.