Scotland squad face March 2021

Craigieboy86

34 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Really outlines how difficult Clarke's job is for a 23 man squad. Are we certain he'll take Forrest? He apparently only started full training on Monday, it could be argued the likes of Turnbull or Gauld are more deserving of a place given their form and fitness. I think if it was my choice, I'd go with the following 23 men at the moment:

Marshall, Gordon, McLaughlin

McTominay, Gallagher, Tierney, O'Donnell, Robertson, Hanley, Cooper, Palmer

Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Christie, Armstrong, Fraser, McLean, Turnbull, Gauld, 

Dykes, Griffiths, Shankland

If Forrest is fit , and playing well , by the time of the Euros he will be fresh for the fray

5 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

If Forrest is fit , and playing well , by the time of the Euros he will be fresh for the fray

I think he's got a lot of work to do to get there. I don't think Forrest fits into the formation we play very well though, he could play off of Dykes I suppose but he's best playing in a system with proper wide players IMO, not sure he's too well suited to playing O'Donnell's role. Gauld and Turnbull are both more suited to the central midfield roles we operate with. I suppose taking Forrest gives you the option of playing a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 if we need to change it up.

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Anyway, if it's a 29 man squad:

Marshall, Gordon, McLaughlin

McTominay, Gallagher, Tierney, O'Donnell, Robertson, McKenna*, Hanley, Cooper, Palmer, Taylor

Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Christie, Armstrong, Fraser, McLean, Gilmour, Turnbull, Gauld*, Forrest*

Dykes, Griffiths, Shankland, Nisbet, Burke

Obviously dependent on the fitness of McKenna and Forrest, if McKenna's back by then he'll be in but it could be too soon for Forrest even if he's getting some games for Celtic by that point. As Covid regulations currently stand there's no exemption for elite athletes travelling from Portugal, so Gauld wouldn't be allowed to travel unless that changes as well.

There are also question marks on Gallagher and Nisbet if their attempts to force transfers are continuing to backfire and they aren't playing again yet, but you'd think the lack of game time is more likely to become an issue for the summer if they're still sitting on the bench or in the stand for the rest of the season. Although while I wouldn't pick him, I'd expect Clarke to persist with McBurnie so Nisbet is the most likely to make way for him anyway.

Aside from McBurnie, the players I've not selected there who were included in the last two windows are McCrorie, Considine, Porteous, Hanlon, Fleck and Paterson. You'd think Fleck is next in line in midfield and only injuries would get the rest in, but Clarke does seem to have a thing for Paterson.

Barring someone like Hickey breaking through, John Souttar both getting fit much earlier than expected and playing well enough for a call up despite playing in the Championship or someone emerging from nowhere, that's pretty much the whole pool of options for this window and for the summer.

Paterson will definitely be in the squad.

I don't particularly rate him but he can fill in all over the pitch.

On 18/02/2021 at 14:22, DA Baracus said:
There's games before to give Nisbet, and indeed Shankland, a chance.
I'd rather have them both as options rather than dross like Paterson, McBurnie and Burke.

All the games before the squad decision are important qualifiers, not opportunities to give folk a run out. Players are only going to break their way in if there's overwhelming evidence they'll improve things.

Jacob Brown is probably one of the ones who will break their way in soon.

Edited by craigkillie

Motherwell were bottom of the league to recently by the same logic O Donnell and Gallagher won't be on the plane?
Gauld is a good player and he won't be with Farese when season ends Braga want him that is were he is going for European fitbaw 

You were the one using teams position in a league to justify a call up

30 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

All the games before the squad decision are important qualifiers, not opportunities to give folk a run out. Players are only going to break their way in if there's overwhelming evidence they'll improve things.

Or...they could be both. The manager has done that before. I'm aware of what the games are.

I suppose we could stick with dross who offer little and don't score or we could maybe give a player 20 minutes to try them out.

23 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

I explained why Caulker should be involved quite clearly and it had nothing to do with league posistions 

Which is a lot more than what most people do in hete

I would rather have Welsh than Caulker, if we are trying someone

46 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

These three qualifiers in march are huge, if we harbour any hopes of playing at a world cup again

People touting Grant Hanley is giving me the absolute fear.

Why?

Also why do people think Forrest is going to walk into the squad? People are just forgetting how dreadful he’d been for Celtic for an extended period before his injury - looked like he’d lost some pace which effectively ends him as a good player at international level.

Why?

Also why do people think Forrest is going to walk into the squad? People are just forgetting how dreadful he’d been for Celtic for an extended period before his injury - looked like he’d lost some pace which effectively ends him as a good player at international level.
Because hes arguably one of the worst players I've seen in a scotland shirt, albeit that was a while ago I still cant get over just how bad he was.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Faroes ?!?