Scotland squad face March 2021

Craigieboy86

He's a good player, brilliant energy and physically very good. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets quite a few more caps. Not sure right now is the time for it though, he's not really settled in at Hibs yet.
He's not a terrible player or anything and might get a few caps in years to come, just mental that he was the level we were reduced to 3 years ago for that South America tour.

With regards to RB

It's been a while since we were blessed with hutton...

i still think odonnell does a job for us. the way he was slaughtered after israel and gave us that serbia performance . probably coming from the same sentiment as the affinity for gallagher and considine.

its all from the right place . its getting the best out of what is available.. id probably stick with odonnell .

Edited by greenockraver

22 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
1 hour ago, craigkillie said:
He's a good player, brilliant energy and physically very good. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets quite a few more caps. Not sure right now is the time for it though, he's not really settled in at Hibs yet.

He's not a terrible player or anything and might get a few caps in years to come, just mental that he was the level we were reduced to 3 years ago for that South America tour.

He was one of the leading stars of the U21s at the time, and therefore exactly the sort of player we should be capping in these things.

He was one of the leading stars of the U21s at the time, and therefore exactly the sort of player we should be capping in these things.
That's one way of looking at it, I suppose.
In reality tho that tour ended up being a shit show with a lot of players who weren't ready or were never likely to be. Morgan, Stevenson, McGeouch etc
It was as far from the old Ajax conveyer belt as you could possibly get.

5 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

shades of simon lappin? 

47 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

In reality tho that tour ended up being a shit show with a lot of players who weren't ready or were never likely to be. Morgan, Stevenson, McGeouch etc
It was as far from the old Ajax conveyer belt as you could possibly get.

You could easily have counted Stephen O'Donnell (first two caps) and Kenny McLean (4th and 5th cap) in that list of "never likely to be" players, and yet both of them ended up playing a big part in us qualifying for our first major tournament in two decades. Ryan Christie (3rd cap) and John McGinn (8th and 9th caps), Scott McTominay (2nd cap), Scott McKenna (3rd and 4th caps), Oli McBurnie (3rd and 4th caps) all picked up crucial experience in those games too. Most likely all 7 of those players will end up being in our squad for the Euros.

Morgan will probably play for Scotland again too.

You could easily have counted Stephen O'Donnell (first two caps) and Kenny McLean (4th and 5th cap) in that list of "never likely to be" players, and yet both of them ended up playing a big part in us qualifying for our first major tournament in two decades. Ryan Christie (3rd cap) and John McGinn (8th and 9th caps), Scott McTominay (2nd cap), Scott McKenna (3rd and 4th caps), Oli McBurnie (3rd and 4th caps) all picked up crucial experience in those games too. Most likely all 7 of those players will end up being in our squad for the Euros.
Morgan will probably play for Scotland again too.
Largely true. Alternative viewpoints, I guess. For me, Christie, McGinn, McT, McKenna weren't fillers in that squad. They were clearly a core of the future squads.
It was the shitebag cadre like Snodgrass, McArthur and others* who decided they didn't fancy the SA trip and left us scrambling for players to plug gaps that were the worst culprits.

*"Allan McGregor, Barry Douglas and Matt Ritchie previously dropped out of Alex McLeish's squad with goalkeeper Scott Bain, defender Stephen O'Donnell and midfielder Chris Cadden having been called up as replacements.'

15 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Personally think riling up St Johnstone fans is the best reason possible for us to call him up over Shaun Rooney.

Tbh very few Saints fans think Rooney is good enough for Scotland.

The frustration comes when our players are overlooked for less deserving players. Rooney has been consistently dominating the right hand side for us since coming into the team, and also poses a goal threat. Cadden is literally what everyone mocks Rooney for apparently being (quick, strong, no end product, easily caught out defensively), yet is somehow ahead of him. Kerr/McCart have been great this season, in a back 3, yet chat is that Stephen Welsh, who's been poor in a back four, will be parachuted into the squad before them based on about 5 games for Celtic, and if it's not him it'll be Jack Hendry, based on an apparent decent season for a mid table Belgian side.

It's just frustrating Saints players don't even seem to be considered. It's understandable when it's players who are far better, or who are proven at International level/trusted by Clarke, not when it's no mark players playing worse in the same division.

Surprised Austria haven't asked for the game to be moved outside Scotland if no change is expected for Germany based players. Don't see any sign of Germany changing their policy yet despite the Kent variant accounting for half of their cases now.

Edit: Reading the translated Austrian article on this, the decision on their players + venue will come next week. The decisions on players will be taken by local authorities across Germany. Their FA director said they don't want to swap home games as the next fixture between the teams should allow fans in.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Tbh very few Saints fans think Rooney is good enough for Scotland.

It's just frustrating Saints players don't even seem to be considered. 

If his own fans don't consider him good enough. Why would he be considered.

10 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

If his own fans don't consider him good enough. Why would he be considered.

As i said, the frustration comes when Saints players aren't considered but players performing worse in the same division are brought in.

I'd be more annoyed if Welsh/Hendry somehow jump to the top of the queue for CB.

As i said, the frustration comes when Saints players aren't considered but players performing worse in the same division are brought in.

I'd be more annoyed if Welsh/Hendry somehow jump to the top of the queue for CB.

In fairness your not watching those players week in week out. The players you are watching week in week out. You don't consider good enough. 

So whats the issue? A national st Johnstone conspiracy?

Cadden moving to Hibs in January had all the hallmarks of him fancying a pop at the Euros squad, and at the minimum the Sportsound boys crying for him to get a shot.

Certainly take the case that he or Rooney can at least match a very average Stephen O’Donnell in that RWB position, but one thing I’d say that needs to be taken into consideration is O’Donnell’s experience. He was noticeably nervous when he first started playing for Scotland but has settled down now. Cadden/Rooney would surely be affected by similar nerves as ultimately, in an ideal world, none of them would even be mentioned for the national team. I don’t think Cadden/Rooney are significant enough upgrades, if they’re upgrades at all, to go through that bedding in period at a fairly crucial time.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

yet chat is that Stephen Welsh, who's been poor in a back four, will be parachuted into the squad before them based on about 5 games for Celtic, and if it's not him it'll be Jack Hendry, based on an apparent decent season for a mid table Belgian side.

Who is chatting this shit?

24 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

So whats the issue? A national st Johnstone conspiracy?

No, I was just explaining why Saints fans get frustrated about a lack of capped players.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Who is chatting this shit?

An apparently ITK Sky journalist on Twitter is claiming Welsh is "next in line", which is good because his pass accuracy is almost 90%. Comments filled with folk saying "if anyones deserving of a cap, it's Jack Hendry".

It's essentially just this section of the forum tbh.

An apparently ITK Sky journalist on Twitter is claiming Welsh is "next in line", which is good because his pass accuracy is almost 90%. Comments filled with folk saying "if anyones deserving of a cap, it's Jack Hendry".

It's essentially just this section of the forum tbh.

I'm not sure a twitter bin fire is representative of Steve Clarke's thoughts. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not sure a twitter bin fire is representative of Steve Clarke's thoughts. 

Yeah I know...

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

...I was just explaining why Saints fans get frustrated about a lack of capped players.