Next Ayr United manager

Now we know the manger we need to back him with a decent backroom staff safe to say Derek Stillie is not going anywhere unless he gets a seat in parliament (Tory b******), I'm assuming the boy from Morton he will be assistant but I still feel we need at least one more there like McCall had.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

So you’d rather go for someone we weren’t talking about just for the excitement factor. Hate to break it to you but clubs don’t appoint managers just to excite fans.

We all had our own preferences but I think it was always going to be someone like McIntyre or Hopkin.

No, I'd rather we went for someone we weren't talking about that makes everyone go wow, not every time, but once would be bloody great before I'm pan bread. 

Smith has been saying he wants us to be a stable Championship club over the next couple seasons, then push on. Feck knows.

If Hopkin can do that then he deserves more time. He’s effectively got to keep us up and at least make an actual challenge for the playoffs next season.

6 minutes ago, rorymac7 said:

Very underwhelming. Long ball football galore incoming. Gets my support obviously but I’m surprised there weren’t better candidates. 

You can only play the cards you're dealt, I don't think it would be possible to play "long ball football" with our squad of players, well, certainly not successfully.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

So you’d rather go for someone we weren’t talking about just for the excitement factor. Hate to break it to you but clubs don’t appoint managers just to excite fans.

We all had our own preferences but I think it was always going to be someone like McIntyre or Hopkin.

Sometimes they do, i.e Rangers

Doesn't matter now. Had my wee moan and now it's full backing for the guy. It's not an obviously outright terrible appointment like a MacPherson or someone like that and with the right resources Hopkin will hopefully do OK.

Aye I’m the same. I’m not ecstatic but I said before so long as it wasn’t a completely terrible appointment I’d be fine.

2 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Now we know the manger we need to back him with a decent backroom staff safe to say Derek Stillie is not going anywhere unless he gets a seat in parliament (Tory b******), I'm assuming the boy from Morton he will be assistant but I still feel we need at least one more there like McCall had.

We only had one other coach in addition to Hopkin and McElhone, Dave Timmins the GK coach/super scout (ROFL) who Hopkin brought up from England and who walked at the same time as him.

14 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Have we really just appointed the guy who built the Morton team we watched on Saturday?  

Get the feeling he had to scrape the barrel with budget Morton had.  £300 a week average wage would arguably get better squad going part time on that budget. Then he was asked to make further cuts. 

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I've also said he would not be my first pick but wither it was Martindale who was the brains or not he was still in charge of a team that won back to back promotions to the top league

Depends what you mean by “in charge”.  Seems clear that Martindale’s remit went far beyond a typical assistant manager and was more like director of football/operations.  Suggestion was that he was in charge of recruitment and was involved in coaching.  Kenny Miller’s shot spell seemed to end over tensions around who was picking the team. Martindale’s bubble seems to be bursting already so who knows what the split of responsibility was.  Cynical view is that they weren’t sure he could pass the fit and proper test and therefore needed a front man that Miller in particular wasn’t willing to accept.  Hopkins subsequent failure at Bradford and Morton doesn’t make him an obvious choice for us.  

1 minute ago, grazza said:

Get the feeling he had to scrape the barrel with budget Morton had.  £300 a week average wage would arguably get better squad going part time on that budget. Then he was asked to make further cuts. 

No dice.

He assembled a squad of 22 (TWENTY TWO) that comprised 1 GK, 5 defenders (only one of which was a full back), 6 CMs, 9 'forwards' (none of which were strikers) and whatever the f**k a Rabin Omar is.

The budget did not constrain him, ineptitude did.

He was told to make cuts but didn't want to make any and actually wanted to add another 4 (probably ineffective forwards).

Depends what you mean by “in charge”.  Seems clear that Martindale’s remit went far beyond a typical assistant manager and was more like director of football/operations.  Suggestion was that he was in charge of recruitment and was involved in coaching.  Kenny Miller’s shot spell seemed to end over tensions around who was picking the team. Martindale’s bubble seems to be bursting already so who knows what the split of responsibility was.  Cynical view is that they weren’t sure he could pass the fit and proper test and therefore needed a front man that Miller in particular wasn’t willing to accept.  Hopkins subsequent failure at Bradford and Morton doesn’t make him an obvious choice for us.  
Get the Bradford thing but plenty of Scottish managers have went down there failed and came back to rebuild their reputation look at Jack Ross at Hibs. No offense to Morton fans but reading Hopkins account of the basket case the club was when he left you have to give him the benefit of the doubt, I don't like the style of football he plays but he doesn't really have the players to play hoofball at the moment. We just need to trust Smith and hope he's got this correct.

5 minutes ago, grazza said:

He was asked to get rid of five to six players before he could strengthen the squad because he had assembled a squad with ten attacking midfielders and five defenders and most of the former have barely kicked a ball.

Hopkin had a tight budget (though significantly boosted by the fans' group) and squandered it on utter shite. He was at least 50% responsible for the disastrous summer transfer window, and I'm no fan of our board. 

20 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

We only had one other coach in addition to Hopkin and McElhone, Dave Timmins the GK coach/super scout (ROFL) who Hopkin brought up from England and who walked at the same time as him.

Diamond Dave and his big mate Sam Ramsbottom incoming please.