How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

Oaksoft with an 'edgy' post and further cementing his reputation as OFTW to the surprise of *checks notes* absolutely no-one.

Just now, throbber said:

Loads of gym wankers like being bulkier and are in great physical shape despite having an overweight BMI, I don’t know about percentages. My upper limit for BMI is 11 10 but I would need to be about a stone heavier than that to be even considered a fatty. Also the lower scale of the BMI says 8 9 would be a healthy weight for me. There’s no way a guy in his 30’s should weigh less than 9 stone I would literally be skin and bone at that weight.

I'm not talking about 'gym wankers', I'm talking about the population as a whole. The number of folk in the population as a whole who have significantly enough muscle to skew the BMI scale are so small that the BMI is perfectly reasonable for 90%+ of folk.

If you walked into a Powerlifting gym and started throwing around the BMI scale, you'd have a point. Being applicable to the whole population? It's absolutely fine.

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

You think it’s absolutely fine for a 5 foot 8 man in his 30’s to weight less than 9 stone? 

It's not what I think. It's what's considered 'healthy' - i.e. won't present any health problems.

A 5'8" guy in his 30s weighing just under 9 stone will be perfectly healthy.

FWIW, I used to have a couple of office jobs alongside a number of other European nationalities and in general the attitude to eating / drinking / exercise was rather different throughout the company.

Any attempt to say that the differences were due to working hours etc would be laughable when it was obvious that the Scottish contingent were the ones to eat shite at lunch and drink considerably more than the continental contingent. 

Eta: I still remember the horror on a Venezuelan woman's face when she discovered the fish and chip shop; a keystone of British culture (that we guzzle down 'because it's what we do') which some others refuse to eat because they see it for what it is.  I've not had fish & chips since last night.

Edited by Hedgecutter

30 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

FWIW, I used to have a couple of office jobs alongside a number of other European nationalities and in general the attitude to eating / drinking / exercise was rather different throughout the company.

Any attempt to say that the differences were due to working hours etc would be laughable when it was obvious that the Scottish contingent were the ones to eat shite at lunch and drink considerably more than the continental contingent. 

Eta: I still remember the horror on a Venezuelan woman's face when she discovered the fish and chip shop; a keystone of British culture (that we guzzle down 'because it's what we do') which some others refuse to eat because they see it for what it is.  I've not had fish & chips since last night.

Oh aye, because South American cuisine has got no fried food dishes of its own. 

DB46B0A0-EBBD-4647-848D-4FBB216816F0.png.f06261953792899bb6bce53b6ac3a64c.png

48 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Whats her fucking problem? Is it them that eat guinea pigs?

To be fair I wouldn't mind trying it.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

This is the 'muscly people have high BMI argument", isn't it?

The BMI scale is a perfectly reasonable scale for 90% of people. What percentage of folk do you think have a significant amount of muscle that would go against it?

Anyone in good shape who has a BMI over 25 is going to look like a rugby player.

The gym guys that moan about BMI are almost certainly the fat guys who lift heavy and never do any cardio. Muscle doesn't necessarily equal healthy. 

Without wishing to sound too harsh, the excuses like busy work, kids etc are exactly that. They are excuses. Whilst it might mean it might be more difficult, there is no reason why a lot of people cannot be healthier

23 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Without wishing to sound too harsh, the excuses like busy work, kids etc are exactly that. They are excuses. Whilst it might mean it might be more difficult, there is no reason why a lot of people cannot be healthier

I'm inclined to agree, although perhaps not as sweeping as that.

Personally, I put on weight yesterday as I had a relatively large "f*** it, it's Friday" calorie intake involving a bacon roll, a fish supper (with onion rings), three ales and a few drams, this is despite being a stone overweight just now.  The reason?  Because I wanted tasty food / drink and I consumed it in excess because I was being a greedy b*****d.  Did I go out for my walk that afternoon?  No, for no other reason than not being arsed and rather watching YouTube over my lunch.  In summary, I gained even more weight by being a lazy greedy b*****d.  I could say "I have a sedentary job", but that's nothing more than a poor excuse.

Eta: partially driven by the cultural factor of 'its what you do on a Friday'.  Would I had all of that had it been Thursday?  Probably not.  Similar could apply to other things which are more/less prevalent in other cultures.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Yeah i appreciate it came across harsh.

I have that as well. It is probably worse the now due to lockdown. There is absolutely nothing with having days like that. That is normal. However, it is everything in moderation.

23 minutes ago, Aufc said:

You could argue, however that excessive eating can become an addiction, in the same way that drugs, smoking, alcohol and gambling can. 

20 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

You could argue, however that excessive eating can become an addiction, in the same way that drugs, smoking, alcohol and gambling can. 

... and in my case, I could hide behind that reasioning (for both food and the booze) if folk challenged me on the beer belly, but I know fine well that it would be utter bullshit.  As I say, that's my case only, but there's always a danger of many presuming some people's problems are far more prevalent in others than they truly are.

Eta: there are bound to be people who think they have an 'addiction' when it's nothing more than a habit that they've developed over time.  That's a whole different 20 page argument though.

Edited by Hedgecutter

6 hours ago, Shandon Par Decorator said:

Get a skipping rope and do some skipping.

Kudos to anyone who managed to master skipping. I've tried a few times over the years, and never had the coordination for it, despite intensive lessons from the girls at nursery when I was 4.

It was the same for most of the other boys, thinking about it. Do you have any tips for the cack-handed?

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Kudos to anyone who managed to master skipping. I've tried a few times over the years, and never had the coordination for it, despite intensive lessons from the girls at nursery when I was 4.

It was the same for most of the other boys, thinking about it. Do you have any tips for the cack-handed?

Music, mirror, smooth floor, leggings. 

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par Decorator said:

Music, mirror, smooth floor, leggings. 

Mmm...not quite what I had in mind.

What's the mirror for?