Next non-Old Firm title winner

1 minute ago, Kyle Reese said:

Would have to be Rangers, surely? Wasn’t it Chelsea fans who wrecked Manchester whilst dressed in Rangers tops?

From what I remember the rumours weren't mentioning many clubs but we were probably the obvious easy target

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

From what I remember the rumours weren't mentioning many clubs but we were probably the obvious easy target

Yeah, f**k being a feeder club for anyone. Doesn’t matter how big the fed club is.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not for me, this'll sound stupid but the more strong teams in the league then the more chance someone else sneaks it. You need Celtic/Rangers to be dropping points throughout the season so you want them beating each other then losing to a "challenger".

That's a fair point. For me though, it's more about how Celtic allowed their standards to slip without their partner pushing them on. Unfortunately they didn't slip enough.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

9 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Would you take becoming RB Hearts and winning the league next season? :D 

Honestly, I was just about to post that it’d be almost ALMOST as bad as becoming a Red-Bull franchise. I’d rather Hearts were demoted again than support that pish. 

Edited by Kyle Reese

Incidentally, I hold this man entirely responsible for our season in 15/16 falling apart:

image.png.9d338885ca01c1eec057c686b6a6e42a.png

It's 19th December and Aberdeen have just hammered Killie 4-0 at Rugby Park. We're exactly halfway through the season and we've moved to within a point of Celtic at the top of the league, having already beaten them once.

The next evening, an injury to Simon Mignolet means that Adam Bogdan is making his league debut for Liverpool in front of new manager Jürgen Klopp. He has a complete nightmare and they lose 3-0 to Watford. He gets another chance a couple of weeks later and another howler means they're held to a draw by Exeter in the FA Cup. Klopp has seen enough and cancels Danny Ward's loan at Pittodrie, where he'd been absolutely brilliant.

We're left with the useless Scott Brown in goal for the rest of the season and our title challenge comes crashing down around our ears.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

All 3 are making progress towards it tbh, although it obviously doesn't look like it with Aberdeen and Hibs.

Not sure what makes you think progress is being made. Hearts are the closest challengers to the Old Firm this season and they are TWENTY points behind with about 3 months of football still left to play. They are nowhere near them. If anything we’ve regressed from a few seasons ago when Aberdeen finished 9 points behind Rodger’s Celtic in 2nd place. I don’t think anyone has finished that close to 1st place since Aberdeen lost the last game title decider at Ibrox in 1990. There is absolutely nothing right now that suggests anyone else can win the title. For that to happen, something has to change.

55 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Not sure what makes you think progress is being made. Hearts are the closest challengers to the Old Firm this season and they are TWENTY points behind with about 3 months of football still left to play. They are nowhere near them. If anything we’ve regressed from a few seasons ago when Aberdeen finished 9 points behind Rodger’s Celtic in 2nd place. I don’t think anyone has finished that close to 1st place since Aberdeen lost the last game title decider at Ibrox in 1990. There is absolutely nothing right now that suggests anyone else can win the title. For that to happen, something has to change.

B16FF249-B865-44F8-8158-EC32A18615ED.png

59 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Not sure what makes you think progress is being made. 

Off the park they're making huge strides forwards, which should transfer onto the pitch eventually.

The guaranteed European group stage pay-out completely changes the risk/reward ratio for investment at the clubs who think they 'should' be third. There's certainly a chance for someone to establish themselves as best of the rest again and be competitive in the cups even if an actual title challenge is fantasy.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Off the park they're making huge strides forwards, which should transfer onto the pitch eventually.

Sadly I think the chasm is too big. It’d take something pretty miraculous. We aren’t finished growing yet though, so it’s still quite exciting to see where we end up. 

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

The guaranteed European group stage pay-out completely changes the risk/reward ratio for investment at the clubs who think they 'should' be third. There's certainly a chance for someone to establish themselves as best of the rest again and be competitive in the cups even if an actual title challenge is fantasy.

I think this is closer to the mark. All about baby steps. Hopefully the planets align one day before I pop my clogs.

The league table right now is as good an example of what's wrong with it all as anything. No team even making a dent in the dominance of the bigot brothers. Instead, they just take points off each other fucking up anybody's chance of getting near. Sad times. 

:(

AFC**, Hibs, Dundee Utd and Hearts will probably modernise, invest and progress then some cheeky wee scamp like Motherwell will sneak in and steal the league while the rest of us cut each others throats.

I think we need a league where we don't play each other 4 times a season for anyone to really have a good chance of planning for league success.

18 or 20 team league or its Glasgow.

The smaller league did work back in the day but the finances that Glasgow clubs play with, along with the preferential refereeing they have now makes it almost an impossibility.

410439653_Screenshot2022-02-16144809.png.6994b6b76ebbd03a772cf777a27edbc3.png

It would take a monumental effort for anyone to get close to the OF. Even splitting them is an enormous achievement. It has been done but gets little credit due to it not meaning anything. Even if Aberdeen or Hearts found the next Alex Ferguson then he would be poached within a season or 2 by the likes of an English championship side. The team would have to be made up of players in their late 20's early 30's as the big clubs hoard players nowadays so an youngster with a whiff of talent gets snapped up by an EPL team to play for their under 23 team or again by the OF or championship teams to fill their squads.

Such a team of older players would cost too much money, say they are signing 31yr olds who had been good enough for the OF but were deemed to surplus to requirements at the time but they were making a mistake letting them go, these guys come with high wage demands and even then you can find 1 or 2 of these players but it's unlikely you can get as much as 7 or 8 and a lot of the time these players can go to the English Championship or much bigger wages than the rest of the SPFL can offer anyway. Then you need to be fortunate to loan 1 or 2 players at the calibre of James Maddison.

So to summarise you need a top manager, the core of a good older squad that is somehow affordable and a few gem loans or youths and all of this has to happen at the same time.

18 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Incidentally, I hold this man entirely responsible for our season in 15/16 falling apart:

image.png.9d338885ca01c1eec057c686b6a6e42a.png

It's 19th December and Aberdeen have just hammered Killie 4-0 at Rugby Park. We're exactly halfway through the season and we've moved to within a point of Celtic at the top of the league, having already beaten them once.

The next evening, an injury to Simon Mignolet means that Adam Bogdan is making his league debut for Liverpool in front of new manager Jürgen Klopp. He has a complete nightmare and they lose 3-0 to Watford. He gets another chance a couple of weeks later and another howler means they're held to a draw by Exeter in the FA Cup. Klopp has seen enough and cancels Danny Ward's loan at Pittodrie, where he'd been absolutely brilliant.

We're left with the useless Scott Brown in goal for the rest of the season and our title challenge comes crashing down around our ears.

That’s a tremendous sliding doors moment.

Bogdan was actually a very good goalkeeper for Hibs aswell, I wish we’d kept hold of him instead of ending up with the huddy we have now.

1 hour ago, Trackdaybob said:

The league table right now is as good an example of what's wrong with it all as anything. No team even making a dent in the dominance of the bigot brothers. Instead, they just take points off each other fucking up anybody's chance of getting near. Sad times. 

:(

Nailed it.