Next non-Old Firm title winner

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

It wouldn't stop PCAs like Souttar's, but it would prevent the utterly daft situation of talent hoovering of which the OF are routinely guilty.

I don't want the OF to leave and join some Frankenstein European Diddy League, they would only keep poaching players to use in inflated squads (a la EPL teams). I want the rest to break away from the OF. Create a new top league with equitable voting and TV revenue. 

We do need radical solutions to create genuine competition and excitement. The McLeish report was a very good start, but anything that doesn't tackle the vast gulf in wealth and therefore competitiveness is just deckchair rearrangement.

I agree with you. I don't think them leaving for a richer league would help us much. All that would happen, is we would routinely lose even more decent players as well as supporters to them. If they were to leave, I'd want them to up-sticks and GTFO of Scotland. Stadium, training centre, the lot. We all know that would never happen though, so we are where we are.

I suppose if the Arabs ever decided to put money into The Arabs (and it would take a damn sight less than is being spunked on Newcastle) the next non OF winner could be Dundee United

Said it before and will say it again - genuinely surprised a serious billionaire hasn’t given Scottish football a look in. Much less resources required to get to the Champions League compared to England. A club with loads of money could very quickly topple the OF, win the league and enter the Champions League. The monetary returns for progressing past the group stages would make up for the initial investment. Or maybe get a good run in the Europa League. It would be a piece of piss and would cost a fraction of trying to compete in England.

Give Martindale the budget of any of the other 11 teams in the league and we’ll be there. You know what I mean.

7 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Said it before and will say it again - genuinely surprised a serious billionaire hasn’t given Scottish football a look in. Much less resources required to get to the Champions League compared to England. A club with loads of money could very quickly topple the OF, win the league and enter the Champions League. The monetary returns for progressing past the group stages would make up for the initial investment. Or maybe get a good run in the Europa League. It would be a piece of piss and would cost a fraction of trying to compete in England.

Aye, a few 10s of millions would get you pretty close I think. Peanuts for some oil type!

It does get overstated slightly how bad Celtic were under Delia. They only lost 4 games in each of his two seasons. We did have disastrous collapses but they tended to be after the title had already realistically gone.

If it was going to happen, I think it did have to be when Rangers were out of the league. 

If any manager was to do it, it'd be Martindale give his budget to points output going back to him being handed transfer duties in League 1. 

If he can get the lowest budget in the league to back to back top 6 finishes, then I can only imagine what he'd pull off with the likes of Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen's budgets.

All it would take is the City group to buy up us and we become Livingston City (goes hand in hand with Livingston's application to become a city :D) or we get a sexy Red Bull takeover and become RB Livingston. We're probably one of the fan bases that would provide the least opposition to one of those kind of takeovers given we only go back to 1995 as a club. Whereas clubs who are older than us tenfold would likely have a historical based opposition.

Was there not a rumour a few seasons ago about Abramovich looking to buy a feeder club in Scotland?

Edited by ATLIS

6 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

What can be done now? 

Other clubs stop fucking about and take it seriously.

Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs all have the size and financial backing to be making European Group Stage football regularly.

All 3 should be able to take points off Celtic/Rangers, especially at home.

If all 3 sort themselves out and peak at the same time then we'd have a title challenge from at least one unless the ran into outrageously good Celtic/Rangers sides.

All 3 are making progress towards it tbh, although it obviously doesn't look like it with Aberdeen and Hibs.

26 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

If it was going to happen, I think it did have to be when Rangers were out of the league. 

Not for me, this'll sound stupid but the more strong teams in the league then the more chance someone else sneaks it. You need Celtic/Rangers to be dropping points throughout the season so you want them beating each other then losing to a "challenger".

1 hour ago, crispy said:

Give Martindale the budget of any of the other 11 teams in the league and we’ll be there. You know what I mean.

16 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

If any manager was to do it, it'd be Martindale give his budget to points output going back to him being handed transfer duties in League 1. 

If he can get the lowest budget in the league to back to back top 6 finishes, then I can only imagine what he'd pull off with the likes of Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen's budgets.

All it would take is the City group to buy up us and we become Livingston City (goes hand in hand with Livingston's application to become a city :D) or we get a sexy Red Bull takeover and become RB Livingston. We're probably one of the fan bases that would provide the least opposition to one of those kind of takeovers given we only go back to 1995 as a club. Whereas clubs who are older than us tenfold would likely have a historical based opposition.

Was there not a rumour a few seasons ago about Abramovich looking to buy a feeder club in Scotland?

Good old Livingston fans, never afraid to oversell themselves.

The only way it’ll happen is if some rich oil man comes here and invests. Romanov could’ve been the guy if he wasn’t absolutely fucking mental and sacked managers every time Hearts lost a game. 

They were superb in 2005-2006. Punted Rangers down to 3rd and won the Scottish Cup. When they won their first 9 or so league games I genuinely thought they were going to win the league.

30 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Would have to be Rangers, surely? Wasn’t it Chelsea fans who wrecked Manchester whilst dressed in Rangers tops?

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Good old Livingston fans, never afraid to oversell themselves.

I'm comfortable with where we are as a club, but Martindale's record with recruitment goes under the radar a bit. I'm not sure what other clubs are doing with recruitment but Martindale had been open in the past about really making heavy use of stats based recruitment. 

I think Anderson had been showing as one of the best young talents in Scotland for years so could see that deal coming a mile off. He's proving himself this season.

I think this is Martindale's 6th season in charge of transfers and his record is:

League 1 (1st) Promoted - 1st budget size of 10
Championship (2nd) Promoted Via Playoffs - 8th budget size of 10
Premiership (9th) - 12th budget size of 12
Premiership (5th) - 12th budget size of 12
Premiership (6th) + Cup Runners Up - 12th budget size of 12

I wouldn't say it's much of a stretch to say that, even as a director of football or manager at a club like Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen he could have them overperforming. Although, what's deemed as overperforming for those clubs is harder to judge. 

A lot of it isn't realistic anyway as I can't see him leaving us, and I'm not sure if the likes of those clubs would tolerate an appointment like Martindale