Sarah Everard

7 hours ago, Fratelli said:

Taken from the Sun so pinch of salt and all that, but the current line of thinking seems to be that he did use his police status to get her into his car, possibly using lockdown regulations as a reason to speak to her. Speculation at this stage of course but brutal stuff.

If this turns out the be the case it dials up the feeling safe walking alone issue.

If you can't trust a uniformed police officer to help you when you are at your most vulnerable then who can you trust. Now obviously this is a rare crime but it will undermine public trust in policing should the case drag on for any length of time and no doubt he will get life without parole.

In terms of making things safer for women I know of one woman who when she got in an Uber the guy got his dick out straight away which is mental behaviour. 

I think a positive step would be normalise consent so films have to have consensual sex in them below age rating 18 as obviously there are reasons you might want a rape in a film. But things like James Bond films that are rated 12 and 15 and probably considered family films has anyone male or female ever consented to sex in those films.

I think the "yes but the data" really misses the point. And mentioning "economics of risk" comes across as sneering pseudo-intellectualism (get your utility functions out and understand the facts, ladies).

There's a bit in The Guardian that 97% of young women have been sexually harassed. I've seen a lot of posts over the last 24 hours from women I know about their experiences. The data for being kidnapped and murdered in the street might be low but given the prevalence of sexual harassment, it's somewhat understandable (when you put everything into context and not a vacuum) why a number of women don't feel safe.

12 minutes ago, yoda said:

I think the "yes but the data" really misses the point. And mentioning "economics of risk" comes across as sneering pseudo-intellectualism (get your utility functions out and understand the facts, ladies).

There's a bit in The Guardian that 97% of young women have been sexually harassed. I've seen a lot of posts over the last 24 hours from women I know about their experiences. The data for being kidnapped and murdered in the street might be low but given the prevalence of sexual harassment, it's somewhat understandable (when you put everything into context and not a vacuum) why a number of women don't feel safe.

Just about every woman I know has been at the very minimum sexually harrassed verbally or touched up.  This is still seen as a forgivable mistake by people - just have a look at our last First Minister.  You then have things like indecent exposure, which is far more common than people think.  I know numerous women who have been flashed or had men masturbate in front of them.  For those who know Stirling Uni, my wife lived in one of the chalets in her final year, a house of five young women and twice they had men at their windows peeping in to see them in the bathroom.

These are many degrees different from abducting and murdering someone but I bet that the vast majority of men who do commit the worst crimes against women start off by commiting crimes that are seen as lower order.  The man recently convicted of murdering Rachel Squires in Hull had been committing sexual crimes in the area for years, he had only just been caught for indecent exposure and was awaiting trial when he murdered Squires.

The other thing I think is that while the women you know are likely to have been harrassed or victimised in some way, it's your male friends that are more worrying.  If you have a wide circle of male friends, there's a fairly good chance that one of them has committed sexual crimes.  Some of them will be the people you least expect but some of them won't be - it'll be the top shagger, the lad who makes you all go to the strippers when you are out.

Edited by ICTChris

20 minutes ago, 101 said:

I think a positive step would be normalise consent so films have to have consensual sex in them below age rating 18 as obviously there are reasons you might want a rape in a film.

How do you envisage that they show that the sex is consensual?

If you are out on a date with a female and start kissing and cuddling her how do you progress to the next stage ie touching her breasts?  Do you stop and ask her if it is okay to touch them or do you just go ahead and touch them?  If you touch them and she removes your hand or tells you to stop you have done so without consent and could in theory be libel to be charged with a sexual assault.  

Just now, Elric said:

If you are out on a date with a female and start kissing and cuddling her how do you progress to the next stage ie touching her breasts?  Do you stop and ask her if it is okay to touch them or do you just go ahead and touch them?  If you touch them and she removes your hand or tells you to stop you have done so without consent and could in theory be libel to be charged with a sexual assault.  

Just like any normal person would ask, and if the answer is, Yes wire in if it's not then don't. 

I would say that is sexual assault yes, similar if a woman grabs your crotch that would be sexual assault unless you consent to it.

What a very weird and creepy post.

32 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

^^^ Posts-"wid"-type-posts, imho

I know I do, but I think criticism of that tiny aspect betrays a failure to understand the issues. 

My take on that particular joke is the person saying "wid" is the joke. An inadequate desperate person who "wid" with anybody and anything. Unless that is carried out in real life it's not a big deal.

Generally you need to take responsibility for others safety and perception of safety as well as your own. Think of it another way, if you don't want to be considered a pest or potential attacker don't put yourself in positions or act in a way that would make others think you are.

2 minutes ago, Elric said:

Look at it from another way . Your daughter comes home from a date and tells you that someone touched her and she was not happy about it. What do you do?

Discuss it with her with a view to giving her the confidence to report it.

11 minutes ago, Elric said:

Look at it from another way . Your daughter comes home from a date and tells you that someone touched her and she was not happy about it. What do you do?

Sarge is spot on, what would you do?

The tweet above has gone viral after it asked women what men can do to help them feel safer when walking alone. Some good responses advising men to move to the other side of the street / path rather, talk on the phone so a woman knows you are coming behind her (there were some comments about making a noise but I am not sure about that as surely it would spook a woman potentially already on edge?), let them know walker / runner / cyclist on your right, don't pass by them too close, offer to walk female friends home / to a taxi rank / bus stop.

Some pretty obvious stuff but worth a read for sure. 

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

I know exactly what it means, that's why I genuinely think you're a frightening person.

You'll try to paint this as a "free speech" thing but it's not, it's a d"dangerous attitudes to sexual violence" thing.

I feel sorry for the women that are around you. And I've got nothing else to say to you.

😂

This guy.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Just about every woman I know has been at the very minimum sexually harrassed verbally or touched up.  This is still seen as a forgivable mistake by people - just have a look at our last First Minister.

It happens so openly as well. 

Look at this from Piers Morgan the other day, on a live broadcast to god knows how many million. 

It is fucking rotten. 

2 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

It happens so openly as well. 

Look at this from Piers Morgan the other day, on a live broadcast to god knows how many million. 

It is fucking rotten. 

That alone should have been enough to get shot of him let alone his mental health comments about Meghan Markle. And it shouldn’t have been a wooly resignation statement, ITV should have sacked him and been clear about why. 

28 minutes ago, RiG said:

The tweet above has gone viral after it asked women what men can do to help them feel safer when walking alone. Some good responses advising men to move to the other side of the street / path rather, talk on the phone so a woman knows you are coming behind her (there were some comments about making a noise but I am not sure about that as surely it would spook a woman potentially already on edge?), let them know walker / runner / cyclist on your right, don't pass by them too close, offer to walk female friends home / to a taxi rank / bus stop.

Some pretty obvious stuff but worth a read for sure. 

This reminds me of the Jason Manford jokes about following a lady in a car who's dress was stuck in the door, being confused that she seemed alarmed, mouthing "I'm not going to rape you" did nothing to alleviate her fears..  

13 minutes ago, Rugster said:

That alone should have been enough to get shot of him let alone his mental health comments about Meghan Markle. And it shouldn’t have been a wooly resignation statement, ITV should have sacked him and been clear about why. 

Crazy that no one called him out there and then must be at least 10 people in the studio and the director on talk back and as far as we can tell no one said stop