Sarah Everard

13 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Such a culture isn't created by incompetence. Shite management doesn't cause individuals to become racist, misogynistic, homophobic scumbags. 

That’s true - poor management can cause it to grow and become entrenched because it isn’t dealt with. 

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Such a culture isn't created by incompetence. Shite management doesn't cause individuals to become racist, misogynistic, homophobic scumbags. 

No but racist, misogynistic, homophobic scumbag managers will see nothing wrong with recruiting somebody just like themselves.

12 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I remember listening to a podcast series about Detroit and that was a big issue in the 1960s in the lead up to the riots - the police department was 90% white and the city wasn't.  You had guys from suburbs going into the inner city to police it, it was like an occupying force.  Given the time and prevailing conditions of society, you can be sure that a significant number of those police officers had pretty set racist beliefs as well.

Now, Britain is not America and there are significant differences but I do think that it's probably a factor.  I agree with what you say about resolve being worn down and cynicism taking over - I know a few police officers and the view of life and the places they work is very different to mine.  I remember going through Inverness with a serving police officer and them pointing out where the drug dealers were, where they'd arrested people for sexual exploitation etc.  All in the town centre as well. 

I guess the way to deal with this is to have robust discipline and culture to stamp out corrupt, racist or violent officers and that makes sure a culture of cynicism doesn't take hold.  Easier said than done.

To a certain extent, consider Northern Ireland in the 70’s as similar to the U.S. inner cities in the 50’s-90’s.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

No but racist, misogynistic, homophobic scumbag managers will see nothing wrong with recruiting somebody just like themselves.

That is true and if you are a leader, it's your duty to be good and utterly reject all the bad stuff.

Take David Kennedy of The Scottish Police Federation who in representing his colleagues might think he's doing all that is good and to be fair to him he starts off very well just before 48 minutes into this broadcast but Martin Geissler lured him into a trap and at 54 minutes he was left all but devoid of credibility.

Worth a few minutes of your time before the link expires

If the link has expired, the gist of it was that PS are better than the met but he then goes and spoils it by defending those that are allowed, in the face of criminal allegations, to retire on full pension.

IMG_3113-1024x683.jpg

Edited by sophia
also catastrophically bald

30 minutes ago, sophia said:

That is true and if you are a leader, it's your duty to be good and utterly reject all the bad stuff.

Take David Kennedy of The Scottish Police Federation who in representing his colleagues might think he's doing all that is good and to be fair to him he starts off very well just before 48 minutes into this broadcast but Martin Geissler lured him into a trap and at 54 minutes he was left all but devoid of credibility.

Worth a few minutes of your time before the link expires

If the link has expired, the gist of it was that PS are better than the met but he then goes and spoils it by defending those that are allowed, in the face of criminal allegations, to retire on full pension.

IMG_3113-1024x683.jpg

They can't seem to help themselves. Immediately going into self-defence as soon as there is any suggestion of a discriminatory culture that needs to be challenged. 

Hiding behind lack of funding in an attempt to excuse institutional racism, sexism and homophobia is pathetic. We all suffer from lack of funding these days. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

18 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I think these things are linked - incompetent management leads to a culture of racism etc and that culture also probably leads to incompetence by pushing out more competent, conscientious people who aren't part of the ladsladslads WhatsApp banter lads.

I don't think management incompetence was suggested, rather structural incompetence due to under-funding.  

26 minutes ago, Empty It said:

We're incompetent racist misogynistic bigots because we don't get enough funding is a strange stance to take.

Just to clarify - I agree and that was the point I was making in the post above. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Empty It said:

Another one has been charged with rape whilst on duty, genuinely what is wrong with this bunch?

A job that entails exercising control over others, what could possibly go wrong in recruitment? For much too long police departments have recruited the wrong types, the ex-MP’s, the bullies and the borderline psychos. It’s a conundrum that the police have not yet solved, how to get and keep capable and trustworthy recruits when the current workforce derides them as weak, ineffective and troublemakers.

The thin blue line is a fact, and the comments about the police being the biggest gang on the streets are very true.

I don't know if this is the right thread but there is an ongoing review into the case of Daniel Bendall, who murdered three children and his partner with a hammer in Derbyshire in 2021.  He also raped his partners daughter before murdering her.  An inquest has been ordered after an initial review of the probation services management of Bendell reported huge failings.

The report is here, it's just unbelievable

https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmiprobation/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2023/01/Independent-serious-further-offence-review-of-Damien-Bendall-1.pdf

He was flagged as a potential child sex offender but this wasn't followed up on and he was allowed to move into a home with several young children.  He missed appointments, admitted drinking alcohol and taking drugs but wasn't recalled to prison.  They didn't follow up on any reports of domestic abuse against Bendell and took what he said at face value.

Edited by ICTChris

• 1 month later...

I thought people were taking the piss when they said that the officer who botched following up Couzens exposure was now on OnlyFans but she actually is! Quite the quote from her site, taken from the red tops today

On her Officer Naughty website, Lee calls herself a "29 year old , curvy Ex-Metropolitan Police Officer who is now a spicy online content creator".

She adds: "I served in the Metropolitan Police Service for nearly 7 years! I made plenty of memories some good, some bad and some really sad.

"I made a choice to leave and start my own business as an adult content creator for many reasons which some may or may not have heard about.

"It's been the best decision I've made for my mental health and my happiness. Life's too short and we all deserve to know happiness!"

Life was certainly too short for Sarah Everard, because she was murdered by the man who you failed to catch due to your own laziness and incompetence. Still MA MENTAL HELF.