Sarah Everard

My naivety was showing big time, up until about 10 years ago (I posted it on here). When the realisation just struck me like a train, that flashers had hard ons.

It had never crossed my mind before..

giphy.gif 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Yep.

I distinctly remember numerous TV shows in the 70s where flashers were used for comedic value.  Saying that, casual racism was also commonplace, as was sexism, but we have made progress in all of those areas.  

I'm pretty sure if flashers were caught sooner, and receive the treatment they need, the number of more serious sex crimes would reduce but by how much I'm less sure - less than 50%?

The US office had an episode when Phillis was flashed and it was largely made light of with Michael calling her phallus by mistake among other hilarious gags. This is why it’s not good to go about cancelling/editing things from the past as it’s important to see what was once deemed acceptable for laughs compared to how attitudes change:

I also don’t think making flashing a more serious crime is going to help serious sex crimes, it will always be difficult to get a conviction and for police to take it as seriously as they should be. That said you can always try whip your phone out and video it if you see something untoward happening in public.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

The US office had an episode when Phillis was flashed and it was largely made light of with Michael calling her phallus by mistake among other hilarious gags. This is why it’s not good to go about cancelling/editing things from the past as it’s important to see what was once deemed acceptable for laughs compared to how attitudes change:

I also don’t think making flashing a more serious crime is going to help serious sex crimes, it will always be difficult to get a conviction and for police to take it as seriously as they should be. That said you can always try whip your phone out and video it if you see something untoward happening in public.

The office wasn't even that long ago so I'm not sure it was even appropriate then.  It was funny though!  

I agree that making flashing a more serious crime won't really do much to help, but treating it more seriously when reported might be a start. It's the old story, we all know that fixing things when they are 'minor' will likely stop some of them becoming "major" - "a stitch in time saves nine" if you like.  

11 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Eagerly awaiting a "I flashed somebody once and never went on to rape anybody" type post.

That sound like the way @ICTChris would phrase a "have you ever......" Ending to his threads.

On 07/03/2023 at 22:38, Hedgecutter said:

Eagerly awaiting a "I flashed somebody once and never went on to rape anybody" type post.

I once brazenly and publicly urinated on a CoS minister, but I am glad to report that in the intervening years my behaviour has not escalated to the point of committing serious sexual offences against the person, ordained clergy or otherwise.

Edited by Boo Khaki

I’ve known quite a few guys who have got their weapon out and helicoptered at various stages in life and they haven’t gone on to commit serious sexual assault. It’s the touchy/feely types you need to watch out for.

One of my wife's students at uni was recently up in court giving evidence against an older man who followed her about B&M's, then opened his coat and started wanking down one of the aisles. The girl quickly alerted a member of staff and the man was arrested when the police quickly showed up.  Luckily the situation was also captured on cctv. 

During one of their tutorials, the girl shared the experience with the rest of the group (male and female) and pretty much every girl in the room gave their own experiences ranging from unwanted touching, harassment or even sexual assault. 

This is something that is so openly rife in the UK, but a lot of the problem stems from years of misogyny and some people thinking its 'lads banter'. 

I don't know how many times I've personally witnessed pissed up men getting angry and aggressive towards women, when their unwanted advances are ignored.  Public transport especially has a serious problem with this.

35 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

One of my wife's students at uni was recently up in court giving evidence against an older man who followed her about B&M's, then opened his coat and started wanking down one of the aisles. The girl quickly alerted a member of staff and the man was arrested when the police quickly showed up.  Luckily the situation was also captured on cctv. 

During one of their tutorials, the girl shared the experience with the rest of the group (male and female) and pretty much every girl in the room gave their own experiences ranging from unwanted touching, harassment or even sexual assault. 

This is something that is so openly rife in the UK, but a lot of the problem stems from years of misogyny and some people thinking its 'lads banter'. 

I don't know how many times I've personally witnessed pissed up men getting angry and aggressive towards women, when their unwanted advances are ignored.  Public transport especially has a serious problem with this.

Absolutely disgusting behaviour.

It's B&M, not B&M's.

4 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

The good news is the awareness of this is (slowly) increasing, and the acceptance is falling. It’s not enough, and it’s too late for far too many, but there is a green shoot of hope.

On 09/03/2023 at 09:35, MONKMAN said:

I’ve seen a fair bit of it, almost all drink related. There was a friend of mine throughout 00’s whose dad was fairly minted through his own successful business, he was always out in the pub with his alcoholic wife back in the days when pubs were still busy and when ever there would he young ladies about the dad would be awfully touchy feely with every young girl (his sons age and younger) he’d find himself talking to and everyone as aware of his creepiness. Numerous parties went on at his house in the 00’s and beyond and god knows what else may have happened but In 2013 he sexually assaulted a sleeping woman (30 years old), there were witnesses in the room and it was taken further and in 2018 charges were pressed and he was jailed in 2020 for that and also another woman came forward in that time saying he raped her but nothing was proven. He is now in financial ruin and his business was ran into the ground by his sons as far as I know.

Also one of my female friends who is now 34 is pressing charges against a man who was having sex with he when she was 14 and he was 21. f**k knows what evidence she’s going to use against him but it sounds like he already knows he’s fucked. 

On 08/03/2023 at 06:55, hk blues said:

Yep.

I distinctly remember numerous TV shows in the 70s where flashers were used for comedic value.  Saying that, casual racism was also commonplace, as was sexism, but we have made progress in all of those areas.  

I'm pretty sure if flashers were caught sooner, and receive the treatment they need, the number of more serious sex crimes would reduce but by how much I'm less sure - less than 50%?

@throbber

The 'creepy handsy dad' thing is eerily familiar to me. I don't think it's the same person I know (I'm in Edinburgh), but the story is pretty much the same as the father of a former female friend of mine. All of the women in that immediate social circle at one time or another made mention about his 'odd' behaviour, but at the time attitude was "well it's so and so's dad, what can you do? Just laugh it off"

It doesn't appear that men who indulge in this sort of behaviour change wiht age either. 20 years on, my better half and most of her female friends are mid-40's, and yet there is another 'creepy dad' of one of them, now in his 70's, and yet still none of them ever want to be alone with him because of the leering and comments. Interestingly he never does it when there is a younger bloke in earshot, which signals to me that the fucker knows the women won't stand up to him but the men are liable to knock him on his arse, pensioner or not.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I’ve seen a fair bit of it, almost all drink related. There was a friend of mine throughout 00’s whose dad was fairly minted through his own successful business, he was always out in the pub with his alcoholic wife back in the days when pubs were still busy and when ever there would he young ladies about the dad would be awfully touchy feely with every young girl (his sons age and younger) he’d find himself talking to and everyone as aware of his creepiness. Numerous parties went on at his house in the 00’s and beyond and god knows what else may have happened but In 2013 he sexually assaulted a sleeping woman (30 years old), there were witnesses in the room and it was taken further and in 2018 charges were pressed and he was jailed in 2020 for that and also another woman came forward in that time saying he raped her but nothing was proven. He is now in financial ruin and his business was ran into the ground by his sons as far as I know.

Also one of my female friends who is now 34 is pressing charges against a man who was having sex with he when she was 14 and he was 21. f**k knows what evidence she’s going to use against him but it sounds like he already knows he’s fucked. 

It may be that your friend pressing charges acts as evidence of persistent behaviour if other reports have been made. These can then corroborate a pattern of behaviour.

I knew when I reported a rape it would never lead to prosecution but my motive was if in future he does it again there's my experience already on file.

Not a creepy dad, but years ago I worked in a furniture shop. There was a guy there in his late 50's (at a guess). The shop took on a new admin assistant and he was very much the 70s stereotype trying to chat her up and taking any chance he could to rub up against her in passing (say, when they were both going through a door in opposite directions). 

It got to the stage that she asked me and another one of the sales guys to not leave her alone with him. That was her biggest worry. 

6 minutes ago, RH33 said:

It may be that your friend pressing charges acts as evidence of persistent behaviour if other reports have been made. These can then corroborate a pattern of behaviour.

I knew when I reported a rape it would never lead to prosecution but my motive was if in future he does it again there's my experience already on file.

It’s hard to tell with this friend of mine and I’ve only spoken to her by text and she laughs quite a lot of stuff off but by the way she worded it she’s doing it because she saw he was in a good paying job and highly thought of in the community and she wasn’t having it. That was her general tone anyway. There is one other girl who’s making allegations along with her.

@Boo Khakiits not same person as I’m from highlands originally but yes very similar. The sex offender in question definitely thought he could get away with this sort of behaviour and like I said drink was always involved. One of his other sons is also a massive danger, he is 100% a sex offender and is no doubt sweating about getting a knock on the door. Genuinely one or the creepiest most disgusting individuals on the planet.

• 2 weeks later...