Nathan Paterson

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

The whole ‘undisclosed’ shit is annoying these days. Has twitteratti  wanks pretending to be itk then you find out a year later in the accounts that they were talking rubbish but nobody really cares by that point.

Football transfer fees are difficult to accurately gauge even through the accounts, because they aren’t just paid in one lump sum. 

It would be interesting if, say, FIFA kept an open register of transfer fees exchanged for player registrations. But there are so many variables in transfers that even that wouldn’t be accurate.

The best information we ever have are the information given by clubs to journalists. 

43 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

"Fringe Sevco player makes move to middle of the road English Prem bench"

Hardly worth it's own thread.

27 minutes ago, Ric said:

Seems a decent player, and I wish the lad well, but the fact he is from one of the OF, the media are literally lining up to give him a metaphorical hand job.

Take this thread for example, would people start a dedicated thread if it was a promising player from Aberdeen, Hibs or.. heaven forbid, St Mirren?

He's a Scotland player, of course folk are going to be interested. The fact that the thread has already made it to double figures of posts suggests that indeed it was a worthwhile one to start.

This is what P&B used to be more like, rather than the current weird situation of just having threads for each individual club.

Edited by craigkillie

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The fact that the thread has already made it to two pages suggests that indeed it was a worthwhile one to start.

Two pages mostly of people going, "decent player but why is this a dedicated thread". Hardly supports the justification imo.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

This is what P&B used to be more like, rather than the current weird situation of just having threads for each individual club.

It really didn't. There was never a time where people started a thread for every transfer made. IMO, this thread should be rolled into the main Rangers one, or moved to the OF specific section or to the foreign football section.

Edited by Ric

40 minutes ago, Ric said:

Seems a decent player, and I wish the lad well, but the fact he is from one of the OF, the media are literally lining up to give him a metaphorical hand job.

Take this thread for example, would people start a dedicated thread if it was a promising player from Aberdeen, Hibs or.. heaven forbid, St Mirren?

See Lewis Morgan to New York Red Bull thread for more information

32 minutes ago, G51 said:

It’s very funny to me that supporters of other teams keep trying to second guess the fee.

Rangers have been working towards making a big sale and transitioning to that model for years. Anyone paying attention can hardly be surprised.

Indeed they have, and I suspect that is why Patterson gets relatively few first team games. 

1 minute ago, Insaintee said:

See Lewis Morgan to New York Red Bull thread for more information

Scotzine, which is pretty low rent at times, described the move of Watt from Motherwell to Dundee United as "Ex-Celt transfers..." despite him leaving the club 7 years ago. I mean, sure, he's an ex Celtic player so it's technically correct. It certainly fits a pattern with some journalists/bloggers though.

12 minutes ago, Ric said:

Scotzine, which is pretty low rent at times, described the move of Watt from Motherwell to Dundee United as "Ex-Celt transfers..." despite him leaving the club 7 years ago. I mean, sure, he's an ex Celtic player so it's technically correct. It certainly fits a pattern with some journalists/bloggers though.

Nowadays a player doesn't even have to play for the old firm for the Scottish Press to write articles about them. Simply having been linked to one of the OF is enough to have countless "Celtic/Rangers linked player may be making a move this window." non-stories written for a couple of years on their sites.

Edited by Rodhull

54 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Havent you just made @craigkillie point for him?

Shirley Temple Giggle GIF

Wasn't their point about not rolling it into the relevant club threads?

I'll be honest, if the mods want to allow separate transfer threads separate from the club thread, or a pinned transfer thread, then I have no issue with that. From practice it does tend to end up with certain clubs dominating the forum, which was pretty much why the OF offshoot sub section was created, that and it's a place to quarantine some of their nonsense.

Edit: I'm an idiot, I didn't realise this thread had been rolled into another one. I got a notification and followed it, unaware it was no longer in the Premiership forum.

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Football transfer fees are difficult to accurately gauge even through the accounts, because they aren’t just paid in one lump sum. 

It would be interesting if, say, FIFA kept an open register of transfer fees exchanged for player registrations. But there are so many variables in transfers that even that wouldn’t be accurate.

The best information we ever have are the information given by clubs to journalists. 

Agreed, It would be ideal so chain clubs know exactly what their potential take is and would help expose sleazy agents so for that reason FIFA would hate that sort of transparency.

The journalist figures often get rogue figures though. I thought we overpaid initially for Jack Hendry when we panic bought him for ‘1.3 million’. But the initial figure was only about half a million when the Dundee accounts came out later. Im guessing Dundee told a wee white lie to prevent back lash.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, G51 said:

It’s very funny to me that supporters of other teams keep trying to second guess the fee.

Rangers have been working towards making a big sale and transitioning to that model for years. Anyone paying attention can hardly be surprised.

Isn't this literally going to break Rangers' transfer record? When that happens, it's usually the superstar in a team or one of the most important players. Tierney, Dembele, VVD, Wanyama had all played over 100 games for Celtic before going for big money. I think it's a reasonable argument to question why a bit-part Rangers youth is going for similar money to Virgil Van Dijk.

That's not to say he's not worth the money. I think he is. But it seems the Everton scouts, and Steve Clarke, value him higher than the Rangers' management. 

7 minutes ago, Tartan Blood said:

Isn't this literally going to break Rangers' transfer record? When that happens, it's usually the superstar in a team or one of the most important players. Tierney, Dembele, VVD, Wanyama had all played over 100 games for Celtic before going for big money. I think it's a reasonable argument to question why a bit-part Rangers youth is going for similar money to Virgil Van Dijk.

That's not to say he's not worth the money. I think he is. But it seems the Everton scouts, and Steve Clarke, value him higher than the Rangers' management. 

Rangers transfer record is Alan Hutton for £9m, nearly fifteen years ago. Given the inflation in the market it’s not surprising at all that Patterson is going for more. It’s more a consequence of that inflation than anything else.

Also don’t really understand why people think Clarke or Everton valued Patterson more than Rangers. If that were true, why did Rangers not accept the £5m or £8m bids in the summer? Why did they negotiate a sell-on clause?

If Patterson played any other position he’d be touching 100 appearances right now. The problem for him was the guy in front of him has a goal or assist every 162 minutes. Not just for this season, but for the last seven years. It’s a level of sustained performance that is unmatched in recent Scottish football history. 

Rangers knew perfectly well how good Patterson was. But trying to dislodge a guy that good who simply doesn’t miss games was an impossible task.

18 minutes ago, Tartan Blood said:

To be fair Van Dijk was six years ago and the world transfer record has over doubled since then as has the the Scottish side sale record too I think.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Totally agree about the 'Celtic-daft' 'ex-Ranger' patter in the press, but I don't think the Nathan Paterson hype is as cynical as that. I don't give a sh*t that he plays for Rangers. Considering it from a purely Scotland point of view:

1. We've had a serious right back problem for over 5 years
  2. He's 20, and has hugely calmed that issue. It always feels good to integrate a very young player into the squad successfully.
  3. He's played a really striking part in us romping into a seeded playoff (2 assists and 1 goal, maybe another assist I'm forgetting about?)
  4. He's from the Performance Schools. Love or hate the business model, they are our best chance of producing better footballers in this country. 

...are those not reasons to discuss and feel good about a player? A move to the EPL only makes all that more exciting.

Edit: just saw your subsequent post after replying to this one! Yes, you are an idiot... welcome to the club 😄👍

Edited by Gordopolis

How much he'll go for I don't know, as several have pointed out it's rarely as clear cut as give me £xxx and you get "A. Player", however I am sure the performances of both Tierney and Robertson, and the fact they can hold their own at what would be considered the very top of English football, will had added to his price.

37 minutes ago, G51 said:

Rangers transfer record is Alan Hutton for £9m, nearly fifteen years ago. Given the inflation in the market it’s not surprising at all that Patterson is going for more. It’s more a consequence of that inflation than anything else.

Also don’t really understand why people think Clarke or Everton valued Patterson more than Rangers. If that were true, why did Rangers not accept the £5m or £8m bids in the summer? Why did they negotiate a sell-on clause?

If Patterson played any other position he’d be touching 100 appearances right now. The problem for him was the guy in front of him has a goal or assist every 162 minutes. Not just for this season, but for the last seven years. It’s a level of sustained performance that is unmatched in recent Scottish football history. 

Rangers knew perfectly well how good Patterson was. But trying to dislodge a guy that good who simply doesn’t miss games was an impossible task.

It's not surprising at all that the costs of players have gone up. It's surprising that Rangers are breaking transfer records for a youth player with very little experience.

I'm not disagreeing with Rangers selling him for that amount of money. They'd be crazy to turn that down for someone that will have almost no impact on the first team. I'm just shocked Everton are willing to spend so much to get him. 

As someone below mentioned, the success of Robertson, Tierney and McGinn will have contributed to Premier League clubs being open to signing young Scots.