Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

They want to force Mad Nadd out,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66427982

The main gist;

Conservative MP Nadine Dorries is facing a move to force her out of Parliament if she fails to attend for six months.

The proposals have been put forward by senior Labour MP Sir Chris Bryant.

Ms Dorries said she was standing down as the MP for Mid Bedfordshire in June but later said she would not formally resign until she got more information about why she was denied a peerage.

She has not spoken in the Commons since July 2022 and last voted in April.

Six months on from her last vote in Parliament would be 26 October.

Under his proposals, first reported by the Financial Times, Sir Chris said a motion could be tabled in Parliament requiring an MP to attend the Commons on a certain date.

If they failed to do so he said this could be considered a "contempt of Parliament", which can be punished with a suspension from the Commons.

If MPs approve a suspension of 10 days or more this can trigger a by-election in the constituency, where voters have the chance to oust their local MP.

It’s pretty undemocratic to change the rules.  That said it’s absolutely nonsensical that a rule such as this is not already in place.

15 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s pretty undemocratic to change the rules.  That said it’s absolutely nonsensical that a rule such as this is not already in place.

They not actually changing the rules,

The rule is there they just haven't used it for awhile.

15 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Saw a news piece where they were in her constituency asking residents there and it was nothing but complaints about her. "She's never here, she does nothing for the area.. Absolutely useless."

It sounded as well like she has the same attitude to doing constituency surgeries that Ruth Davidson ( 1 in 6 years)  had.  Still she's getting paid by Murdoch on his dreadful tv channel and getting paid by the public for doing hee haw.

Edited by AndyM

17 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Saw a news piece where they were in her constituency asking residents there and it was nothing but complaints about her. "She's never here, she does nothing for the area.. Absolutely useless."

It sounded as well like she has the same attitude to doing constituency surgeries that Ruth Davidson ( 1 in 6 years)  had.  Still she's getting paid by Murdoch on his dreadful tv channel and getting paid by the public for doing hee haw.

She hasn't held a constituency surgery since the March 2020 onset of the Covid Pandemic. That alone should be reason enough for a by-election. She can't possibly claim she is doing anything whatsoever to represent her constituents when she never bothers her arse to turn up in the HoC and clearly has no interest in seeing her constituents face-to-face. It's one of the rudimentary obligations of any MP/MSP. 

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

They not actually changing the rules,

The rule is there they just haven't used it for awhile.

Fair enough, didn’t know that.  I’m surprised that the rule has not been enforced earlier.

Given the relative importance and profile, you would have thought that the rules about non-attendance in the Commons (and Lords) would be at least as forceful as the rules about non-attendance in our local authorities. Seems not.

As I understand it, if a councillor, without obtaining formal leave of absence (or some such wording) from the Council, misses 6 months of committee/council  meetings a process starts which can end up with them losing their seat.

6 months.

Dorries should have been out on her backside ages ago.

7 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Given the relative importance and profile, you would have thought that the rules about non-attendance in the Commons (and Lords) would be at least as forceful as the rules about non-attendance in our local authorities. Seems not.

As I understand it, if a councillor, without obtaining formal leave of absence (or some such wording) from the Council, misses 6 months of committee/council  meetings a process starts which can end up with them losing their seat.

6 months.

But MPs are all Honourable people so there's no need to impose needless rules on them 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Ooft.

It's a real shock to see oil workers all over the comments claiming that they already live and work in worse conditions than the people on the barge.

I don't think I've ever met an offshore worker who isn't a massive Tory.

54 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

6 months.

Those sorts of rules are pretty typical for most settings where the appointees are by election/nomination.

I used to sit on the Board of Directors of a charity. It was a statutory rule that you were removed from the Board if you did not attend at least 50% of the Board meetings over a two year period, or a minimum of one Quarterly meeting in any calendar year. You also faced mandatory re-election every two years at the AGM, and if nobody re-nominated you, you were auto-punted.

You are there to do a job, and have duty of care to the organisation. It beggars belief there is no automatic de-selection for MP's who are clearly taking the piss.

Edited by Boo Khaki

15 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It's a real shock to see oil workers all over the comments claiming that they already live and work in worse conditions than the people on the barge.

I, for one, am shocked to see oil workers are too thick to grasp the difference between being paid good money to do something voluntarily that you can stop doing whenever and get to routinely leave, and being put somewhere for an indefinite period of time with nowhere else to go. 

29 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I know a former one, a couple of years older than me and he hates the SNP and the thought of Independence.  He's not even a *** either.  He hates Rangers.

It's like it's one of the modules of their induction when they get their offshore certs - Scottish Independence Is A Terrible Idea, Heres Why.

Edited by TheScarf

And yep, offshore workers are some of the thickest cunts on Earth.  Getting paid silly money and some of them probably have to remember to breathe.

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Official Government policy is “if you don’t like it, away back to yer own country then”

I was just about to post the same thing. At least the Tories can now stop pretending this is all about stopping nasty people traffickers.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Ooft.

The arguments from folk saying that this barge is good enough for oil workers or homeless folk would kill for this, completely miss the point that this barge was designed for c200 folk and has been adapted to hold 500.

You could take the fanciest hotel room in the world and cram folk into it and it would seem worse than a prison cell.

The barge itself is just a tiny 'solution' to the issue, but in reality is nothing more than an inhumane signpost to the usual suspects.

How we treat migrants, legal or illegal says a lot about what we as a society are. Frankly I'm saddened and embarrassed for the folk who have lost all humanity for other human beings. 

4 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I was just about to post the same thing. At least the Tories can now stop pretending this is all about stopping nasty people traffickers.

All these vile tories should have their comments/views brought up at every job interview/media interview from now on.

Clip the lot up and any time they try to plead following party lines or such, play it all back to them. 

8 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It’s mad. I mean, I know that every party has embarrassing morons in them who make ridiculous statements or are just outright bigots - the SNP have Cherry and Mason, for example - but usually the parties don’t go “aye, they speak for us” 

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

It’s mad. I mean, I know that every party has embarrassing morons in them who make ridiculous statements or are just outright bigots - the SNP have Cherry and Mason, for example - but usually the parties don’t go “aye, they speak for us” 

They don't just speak for "us" as in the party, but also "us" as in the general population

Asked on LBC if Anderson was speaking on behalf of the party, Chalk defended what he said, arguing that his Tory colleague was expressing the “righteous indignation of the British people”