World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

I want Canada to qualify but I don't see where this idea that they're basically already there comes from - they're only 5 ahead of Panama and they've still got to go there, El Salvador and Costa Rica. A win tonight and fair enough, but that'll be a tough ask.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I want Canada to qualify but I don't see where this idea that they're basically already there comes from - they're only 5 ahead of Panama and they've still got to go there, El Salvador and Costa Rica. A win tonight and fair enough, but that'll be a tough ask.

Our media are getting very optimistic about it, I am much more cautious.  If we win this afternoon then I think we are in great shape but if we lose then it's a different story.  

Our media are getting very optimistic about it, I am much more cautious.  If we win this afternoon then I think we are in great shape but if we lose then it's a different story.  

It might be a bit like Australia, where generally as a nation you are good at the main sports you care about and therefore there's almost a natural assumption that things are going to go well even in something like football where you're more of an outsider.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It might be a bit like Australia, where generally as a nation you are good at the main sports you care about and therefore there's almost a natural assumption that things are going to go well even in something like football where you're more of an outsider.

Eh, don't know about that.  For decades there had sort of been an acceptance that our MNT was not very good, now that we actually have a good team people are getting carried away.  These are journalists who have been covering the MNT for a long time

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

That's Canada qualified, you'd imagine. Be lovely if America could somehow manage to f**k it up again.

For the first time in my lifetime (or at least in the time I have been knowing what was happening) I can now believe that we will make the World Cup.  It's a surreal feeling to see our Men's team be actually good after decades of dismal failure, humiliating collapses and general shiteness

I'd say it's more of a "F*ck the USA" feeling. I'm happy not just that Canada are winning but that the Mexico/USA dominance of CONCACAF has been ended. 

I'm sure when Canada picked Hamilton for the game, they were expecting it to be a lot colder, in the end it was a fairly balmy -8c during the game. Probably best they didn't pick Ottawa since it's an absolute gammon fest at the moment. Hoping @senorsoupe isn't effected by the trucker morons 

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

I'd say it's more of a "F*ck the USA" feeling. I'm happy not just that Canada are winning but that the Mexico/USA dominance of CONCACAF has been ended. 

I'm sure when Canada picked Hamilton for the game, they were expecting it to be a lot colder, in the end it was a fairly balmy -8c during the game. Probably best they didn't pick Ottawa since it's an absolute gammon fest at the moment. Hoping @senorsoupe isn't effected by the trucker morons 

They are loud and annoying (we live pretty close to where they are parked) but no major issues near our place.  It's basically a protest of Canada Geese at this point, incessant honking, unnatural rage, and shitting everywhere